Sciatic pain has returned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sciatic pain has returned!

At five months and about one week after my surgery (fused T4 to sacrum with one cage between L4 and L5) my sciatic pain has returned! My surgeon (Dr. Lenke ) put me on a Prednisone dose pack for a week. It helped the arthritis in my fingers but did not relieve the sciatic pain. This has been very disappointing as I dealt with this for about 18 years before my surgery and it was great to not have it for 5 months after surgery. Dr. Lenke is surprised at this returning and said maybe it is due to scar tissue formation. I saw a neurosurgeon locally today and he said that was a possibility and could refer me to a pain management doctor for a possible steroid injection if it gets worse. I never had injections before surgery, just felt I had to tolerate it. I also have been given a new diagnosis this week by my rheumatologist of Psoriatic arthritis. I will start a new treatment this week for that. I am still glad I had my surgery and would do it again as my lumbar pain is gone and my rib is no longer pressing hard on my pelvis. The sciatic pain in my right hip mainly hurts most when I sit so I now stand or walk most of the day. Anyone out there with a similar return of sciatic pain after surgery?
    Jane

Jane, make sure your doctor checks your hip well, particularly if the pain doesn't go below your knee. Dick

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, Dick. The pain does go below the knee though. It goes down my entire leg into my heel.
      Jane

Comment

I have L4 stenosis with butt and anterior thigh pain. Unfortunately the medical literature and my doctor say that sciatic pain may not be cured by the surgery. I am bummed at this prospect but unfortunately that seems to be reality.

Hope that you find relief. Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thanks Susan. What puzzles me is that my sciatic pain did disappear for slightly over 5 months and Dr. Lenke did think that the surgery would take care of it. He did not think it would help the burning/ tingling feeling on the top of that thigh but it has left and not returned.
          Jane

Comment

I am sorry Jane as I know how debilitating that can be. When Dr. Hu said that she wasn't sure that she could cure my sciatic and leg pain, I almost said, "then why are we doing this big surgery?"

I hope that your 5 months of relief returns. Meanwhile, you might want to try some local steroids.
            Wishing you the best,
            Susan

PS: I timed my butt and leg pain. It starts 7 minutes after I have rested and is full blown by 10 minutes. Ugggggggg
            Last edited by susancook; 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM.
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Jane,

My pain does not go all the way down my leg, but it did get worse at five months. In my case, I think it was because 1. That was when I finally got off all prescription pain meds and muscle relaxers and 2. I started pushing myself harder at that time (walking more, driving more, sitting more). At 6 months I did scheduled Aleve for 2 weeks, which helped. I also started physical therapy. Honestly, I think just time and trying to rest more has helped the most. The pain still comes on, but not as badly and not as soon. I can walk 40 min at a time now. I know some others on the forum have had recurrent sciatica after surgery. Doodles, I think? Definitely Naptown78. Sally? Anyway, if you try some searches I think you will see it happens. The good news is that it also seems to randomly go away sometimes. Anything you can do to reduce swelling -- like eat less salt -- can help at the margin, in my unscientific opinion. Best wishes!

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Yes, I have had recurrent sciatica from butt to foot--seems like it's every 4-6 months for a couple weeks. The worst is when I lie down of course. I know many wouldn't want it but my chiro I see on a regular basis but he only uses the Impulser, I think it's called. NOTHING at all with big movements. It is plugged in and it just is the tiniest little click usually around sacrum that frees up the nerve. It doesn't always work right away. I know some use Activator--it's sort of like that but probably even less of a "movement". My massage therapist is good for a ton of things but often doesn't help sciatica. I also take Aleve on a daily basis. I have for years. Might not be the best but doctors in 05, I think told me to take 2 every night. I do 2 and 1 a night. I hope something here might help. From years past when I tried physical therapy for that sort of thing, it didn't work. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Jane,
                  I still have some sciatic pain five years post op. I am taking 600mg Neurontin three times a day and it has helped somewhat. I probably have permanent nerve damage because of being in pain for so long before having surgery. It was pretty awful before my surgery, but I can do so much more now than I could before surgery. Hopefully your pain is not permanent and will go away soon. My biggest pain now is in my SI joint. I no longer can take NSAIDS because of kidney damage which fortunately is repairing itself.
                  Take care, Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by jane d View Post
                    At five months and about one week after my surgery (fused T4 to sacrum with one cage between L4 and L5) my sciatic pain has returned! My surgeon (Dr. Lenke ) put me on a Prednisone dose pack for a week. It helped the arthritis in my fingers but did not relieve the sciatic pain. This has been very disappointing as I dealt with this for about 18 years before my surgery and it was great to not have it for 5 months after surgery. Dr. Lenke is surprised at this returning and said maybe it is due to scar tissue formation. I saw a neurosurgeon locally today and he said that was a possibility and could refer me to a pain management doctor for a possible steroid injection if it gets worse. I never had injections before surgery, just felt I had to tolerate it. I also have been given a new diagnosis this week by my rheumatologist of Psoriatic arthritis. I will start a new treatment this week for that. I am still glad I had my surgery and would do it again as my lumbar pain is gone and my rib is no longer pressing hard on my pelvis. The sciatic pain in my right hip mainly hurts most when I sit so I now stand or walk most of the day. Anyone out there with a similar return of sciatic pain after surgery?
                    Jane
                    Yes my Sciatica pain came back also about the same time. Don't waste your time with nerve root injection because they won't be able to get thru the fusion. My surgery was back in 2006. I had to retire at age 55 due to the pain in 2011. I am currently researching SI Joint pain. I am not sure if that what might be causing my pain now. I've been back to Dr. Lenke many times and have used many meds, PT, and almost everything without any long term luck. So now I am looking into Sacroiliact (bad spelling) Joint or SI Joint. Symptoms are very similar to mine. Plus my pain is getting worse and it's really hard to live with this pain daily.

Comment

There's a new SIJ fusion device on the market (Zyga EvoluSIon). We're just about to start an aftermarket trial on the device at UCSF. Part of the protocol are provocative tests. Thought these might help you get it figured out:

SIJ Provocative Tests
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Jane,
                        I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you find something that works to decrease the pain.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Linda,

That looks awfully painful (the diagnostic test). What is the SI joint fusion device? Are you doing this on people who are already fused to S1? Just curious because I had movement in my SI joint preop (or so a PT told me). Now I have hip/butt pain. Wondering if this is something that could help. Not rushing into another surgery. Just sort of curious about it. Thanks!

Evelyn
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I've also been diagnosed with left SI joint dysfunction. I have butt pain that goes across my anterior thigh and sometimes also down the back of the leg. It jumps to the back of my left calf and into my heel and bottom of my foot. Sometimes I wake up and the whole leg is tingling. But as of late, it has suddenly and inexplicably felt better. I'm not going to complain. I just hope it lasts. I have not been fused. I'm not sure if this is a fusion related thing or not. I hope everyone feels better.

Linda, those test look awfully painful. Ugh.
                            Be happy!
                            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                            X