No announcement yet.

Ti-Ed 5 Years post op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scoliosis surgical teams are the the best of teams. The best of the best.

I have read stories about waking up, and so forth and so forth. I don’t think that this is something that we need to worry about. I was knocked out quickly, and never saw the operating room. I have had a few other operations and it was also the same story.....

It was just like going to sleep.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

I have read stories about waking up, and so forth and so forth. I don’t think that this is something that we need to worry about. I was knocked out quickly, and never saw the operating room. I have had a few other operations and it was also the same story.....

Ed
      Ed, you made my day by saying that you never saw the operating room. I don't want to see the operating room! I hope they knock me out while my husband is still with me or at least give me something to make indifferent. I told Dr. Hu that I don't want to see the operating room because it will scare the c... out of me. I will say the same to everyone when I check in...
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
        Ed, you made my day by saying that you never saw the operating room. I don't want to see the operating room! I hope they knock me out while my husband is still with me or at least give me something to make indifferent. I told Dr. Hu that I don't want to see the operating room because it will scare the c... out of me. I will say the same to everyone when I check in...
        Just make sure that you keep telling them that you do not want to see the OR. I have told them that and with none of my surgeries have I seen the OR. I remember being in pre-op and then being in recovery
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

Ed
          You're right, Scoliosis surgical teams are remarkable.

Unlike some people, I did see the OR room. Dr Hey was very surprised to find out later that I remember seeing it. Apparently it is rare that someone is still lucid as long as I was. But it wasn't scary at all, it was a very beautiful thing to me! When I was rolled in, the room was buzzing with people. I felt absolutely cherished, as though I was the very center of their universe at that time. I was relaxed and the whole place felt dreamy and exciting. I counted 7 people within my view around the room and they were all very preoccupied getting stuff ready. Some were talking cheerily to each other as they were pulling stuff out of boxes, moving stuff on shelves, rolling equipment. I felt enormously valuable to them. It was a fantastic feeling.

I was asked what my name was by a woman to my right. I answered. I was asked what day it was and where I was. I answered. Then I was asked "And what are you here for today?" I thought that was a crazy question and sure hoped that THEY knew the answer to that one! ha ha I said "They're going to make me straight," at which point everyone burst out laughing. I didn't get the humor at the time but it was jolly good hearing them all laugh. "Well, that's right," a couple people said. I was happy inside that everyone was in a good mood. I know it's might seem strange to say this but I felt Loved. While people were still chuckling, I was out instantly.

It actually never occurred to me to be afraid of seeing the OR. I was looking forward to the surgery so much because I knew it would repair me. Dr Hey often mentions his team in his blog and how fantastic they are. Getting just a teeny glimpse of them on their home turf, all excited to do a great job, how they are bonded together with purpose and care for each patient, makes me understand why Dr Hey appreciates and enjoys his team so much.

Surgeons are very special people. They truly do want to help people and they consult with each other and study and work toward giving the very best outcome possible.

By the way, if I had specified that I wanted put out sooner, I'm sure they would have done that. So for those who don't want to see the OR, the staff is ready to oblige. Personally speaking, I'm very glad I got to experience something so rare.
          Last edited by JuliaAnn; 02-03-2013, 12:02 AM.
          1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
          2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
          2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
          2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
          2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
          At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
          Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
          Post op x-ray

Comment

Thank you, Melissa and JuliaAnn. It's a beautiful story about seeing the OR, but knowing myself, I'll keep telling everyone to knock me out before they roll me in.

When I get blood tests done I always turn my head away because I don't want to see a syringe sucking out my blood. I remember the first time in my life when I was getting blood test done from my vein... I was pregnant and scared of this basic test ha-ha. I was looking at them inserting a needle, saw my blood and the next thing I remember is being on the floor and the nurse sticking something awfully smelling in my nose and saying: "Gee, how are you going to give a birth, girl?" :-) Since then, I always turn my head away. So, I am pretty sure that seeing the OR would not give me a warm a fussy feeling.

Now, my daughter, who is majoring in biology and wants to be a dentist, takes an anatomy class and tells me stories about dissecting this and that. I don't even want to hear that, but she finds it interesting and not gross at all. I asked her if she passed out the first time she was dissecting something and she just laughed at me. She totally amazes me.
            I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
            45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
            A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

A few years ago when Crystal went into med school, I was treated to the cadaver room at UNR’s medical school. They had a spine sawed perfectly down the center in the lumbar area so I could see the nitty gritty.....they study anatomy the first year. She will graduate in May and start her 3yr residency which is supposed to be even harder than medical school.

It was one of the most AMAZING things I have EVER done. The body is extremely complex....

I would love to attend a scoliosis surgery.....that would be really neat.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...