Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINALLY!!!!! An update on my December 11, 2012 surgery with Dr. Bridwell in St. Loui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FINALLY!!!!! An update on my December 11, 2012 surgery with Dr. Bridwell in St. Loui

Hi All,

This is yacpatty from Harrisburg, Pa. Dr. Bridwell decompressed, removed a synovial cyst and fused with BMP and rods and screws L4-L5. Three days after the surgery I was running the halls of the hospital with absolutely no problem. My surgical pain was minimum and virtually gone in a matter of weeeks. My first two weeks were wonderful. No significant ankle and leg pain. Well week 3 and now week 4 have been a different story and I am a little down right now. First, let me say that at 2.5 weeks after surgery, my husband and I got a call from my mother in Virginia that she had fallen so we have now been here for two weeks going to doctors, hospitals, inpatient rehabs, lawyers, state assistance offices, and all the while having to do a zillion errands for my mother in addition to getting meals. My husband is a saint. he has done it all and more...there is no one like him and I am so blessed. I have really tried watcing my body mechanics but once in a while, I slip up and discover I made a slight move I shouldn't have. I have been on my feet way too long most days. Here is my concern. On my way home from St. Louis on Dec 23rd, it turned out to be a full day getting home with a 5 hr layover. I experience excruciating groin pain. I did have groin pain when I walked to far before surgery. Now after walking a mile, I get pain that jumps from one thing to another....usually not at the same spot at the same time...for example, fullness around ankles and legs, groin pain, generalized fatigue and achiness. I did have these symptoms, but worse symptoms than these, presurgery. I dont think this will ever go away. Do any of you think any differently. I was hoping with surgery i would be able to walk 3-4 miles without pain. Now I don't think this will ever happen. I am wondering if Dr. Bridwell should have fused me L3-sacrum and if any of this pain is coming from those levels that weren't perfect. Please see my signature line. Can any of you give me any encouragement or advice. I am only taking 2 pain pills a day as I don't want to over-use them and that 3rd pill in the evening can make me feel dazed. Any advice will help. Are there any of you who had groin pain or same presurgery pain to some degree that did eventully go away. HELP!!!! Patty
    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Finally!!!

hI...It's me again. If you see in my signature line that previous MRI's showed severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-3, herniations, and compressed nerve root at S1, well Dr. Bridwell did not agree with those findings. In addition, he ordered another MRI. He told me he did not find herniations, severe stenosis and compression of nerve root in those levels that previously showed it and he decided not to fuse those levels because he did not agree on those findings. Just thought I better add that to my thread. Thanks.

Patty
    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Finally!!!!

Gardenia and TwinMomTN, and Boomergal..... how are you doing?

Patty

Comment

Patty,
        I can't imagine all that you've had to do in taking care of your mother so soon after your surgery. I had many random aches after surgery, but no groin pain. If you have concerns, which obviously you do, I would call Dr. Bridwell's office. I talked to Kelly, Dr. Lenke's nurse, several times pre and post op when I had a concern and she patiently answered my questions.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Patty...

You should take some time off, and drop your activity level for awhile to see if that resolves the pain. Not only have you probably been more active than usual, but you're probably spending a lot of time in chairs that aren't great. I'd bet $ that you're just overdoing it. Hang in there. Things will improve.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

glad you are doing so well!

Hi Patty, we only exchanged a couple of messages in the forum before you went for surgery but (despite some problems and pain) I am glad to hear you are doing so much and doing it with as few problems as you are. I too have groin pain. It is very low left side and does not occur everyday. I was actually seeing Dr Bridwell on the 17 of December while you were just a week out of surgery. I am considering revision surgery with Dr. Bridwell. I hope your recovery continues to progress without too manyproblems. Please keep us informed! Congratulations on having this behind you.
            Best Wishes,
            Laurie

Comment

Finally!!!!

Thanks Laurie for your reply. I have mentioned the groin pain several times to Dr. Bridwell and his fellow but they never gave me any satisfactory answer as to if the groin pain is related to the back. I have researched and he answer is definitely yes that it is related. Laurie, what is your diagnosis as far as to your scoliosis? What levels do you need fused? I am doing a lot better in many respects but after being on my feet a long time, some of my symptoms do come back. Just keep in mind, though, that I never expected to be 100 percent with a 61 year old spine. Dr. Bridwell did not fuse me to the sacrum and he did not fuse the two levels above L4-5. How many levels is he fusing for you? Do you live in Missouri? Keep in touch. Maybe we can talk sometime.

Patty

Comment

Hi Patty,

I had scoliosis surgery in 1974 with bone grafts and 1 Harrington rod. I cannot recall how many levels were fused I think T6 to L2 or L3. I now have sagittal imbalance (used to be called flatback), the discovery of non-fusion at 2 or 3 levels and both degenerative and unstable conditions below the fusion level. The rod has jumped its hook at the top and is slightly prominent. I lean forward quite a bit. I am not doing too well pain-wise right now. I would really like to talk to you sometime about your decision to have surgery - you know the, "how did you know it was the right time? which doctor? etc." I would really like to talk to someone about my confusion, concerns and deciding on the next step.

Again, I am glad you are doing so well! I know it's probably the opposite of what you want to do, but like so many have said, maybe you should slow down a bit. You will probably feel even better and be likely to maintain more steady progress in healing. I bet it feels great to have that surgery behind you. Take care of yourself and I wish you a very speedy recovery! Laurie

Comment

Finally!!!!

Hi Laurie,

If you ever want to call me, my cell phone number is 717-319-8860. I would be more than glad to talk to you. Our situations sound similar in so many ways. I had my scoliosis surgery in 1963 at the age of 13 with a bone fusion T4-L2. Dr. Bridwell fused L4-L5 on Dec 11 as I had severe neural foraminal stenosis and a synovial cyst. I was hoping that he would fuse L2-sacrum but he is the expert and had reasons not to. I hope to talk to you sometime.

Patty

Comment

Working...
                  X