fused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh karen!

I forgot to tell you Karen that our correction is so similar. My thoracic is corrected to 8* and Lumbar to 28* (at least that was the rough estimate I got since the radiologist who measuerd current curves didnt measure previous curves and didnt have previous scans or xrays to compare) Curious what Lenke's team will say... when I have my 6 month pics done in April.
    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
    53*T 71*L
    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Heidi, that's awesome! I can only walk about 1.5 miles max at one time at 10 months! This makes me think there's something wrong with me, however.... But all my X-rays look good. I guess you don't know until if/when a rod breaks! I see Lenke in March (one year), and I will ask about this. I am still in more pain than pre-op. but it's not bad pain. More like discomfort unless I really overdo it.

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Linda,

Can MRIs tell anything about fusion? I've got cobalt-chromium rods and titanium cages, so I believe I can still have an MRI, right?

Evelyn
        age 48
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

I usually went down slowly on one knee when I squatted and kept my back straight. I sat on a chair to unload the dishwasher. I continued to use the grabbers after 3 months so that I didn't over do squatting.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Dr. Lenke told me at my 5-week appointment that I could start lifting restrictions and to follow the basic principle that if it hurts, don't do it. I could go down on one knee without pain, so I did that some. But like Karen said, I used (and still use) my grabber most of the time.
            age 48

Comment

Thanks Evelyn- That is what I wanted to hear. It does not cause me pain to squat... I have not tried to bend at least not intentionally. One time the cat ran out the door and I instictively did.
              My cat scooper and watering can are already ordered and on their way! I am excited about these.
              Oh, and I forgot to tell you that my right leg is still weaker then my left. I can almost get dressed without my dressing stick but not quite. I can put my sock and shoe on the left foot but not on my right without my aids or help. I do think that in a couple of months I may be able to do it by myself... we will see.
              I use my grabbers for everything. I even found a collapsable one for the car!
              How far did you walk today?
              Best,
              Heidi
              53*T 71*L

Comment

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
                I use my grabbers for everything. I even found a collapsable one for the car!
                Heidi, can you post or PM me the link for where you got your collapsible grabber?
                50 years old!!!!!
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                Surgery 07/11/2011
                Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

It is called Telesco Pik. The sell it on Amazon. I bought mine from our local family owned pharmacy... I sent you a link to it.
                  53*T 71*L

Comment

Mri

Evelyn- my husband said you can still have an MRI but the metal causes artifact and they wouldn't be able to see much....
                    53*T 71*L

Comment

Mri

Really? I swear Dr. Lenke and my local surgeon said cobalt chromium would be okay with MRIs (vs. steel). Maybe they meant it's okay to have one--like if you need it for a different part of your body? Maybe you can't have them at all if you've got steel. Will you ask you hubby, Heidi?

P.S. I didn't walk for mileage today, but I cleaned house literally from 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. only breaking for meals and to put the kids to bed. So I felt pretty good about that! Can you tell my house was a wreck after the holidays??! :-)
                      age 48

Comment

Working...
                      X