fused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fused?

Can anyone tell me HOW they know that they are fused? Can anyone post a Xray of someone fused and someone unfused?

Thanks!
    Heidi
    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
    53*T 71*L
    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

I was told you can't tell from x-rays.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

that was my point... my husband is a radiologist... and that is what he told me.
      BUT
      when I called Dr. Lenke's nurse and questioned why 3 month xrays were necessary she said for 3 reasons: 1- to make sure hardware was in place
      2- to see if there is any degeneration above and below instrumentation and 3- to see if fusion has started.

So, I am curious if anyone knows how you know you are fused! Short of being cut open and examined!!!!
      Thanks,
      Heidi
      53*T 71*L

Comment

Our surgeon agrees with your husband. :-)
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I was told pretty much the same thing. You can see new bone growth, but there's no guarantee from looking at x-rays that complete fusion has taken place. There could be a hairline crack in the fusion that will not show up on x-rays, and sometimes not even on ct scans. We can only just hope for the best and if all else seems well, we probably are fused, once we're over that 12 month mark. It's just that there are no guarantees.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

While you can't tell if a level is fused, you can see bone growing. At 3 months, if there's no evidence of bone, that would be cause for a little concern.

If you look at Figure 2 HERE, you can see bone growth at 12 months, but you can't tell if the patient has actually fused. You can, sometimes, tell if an area is not fusing, such as HERE.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda. That is what I was looking for! I think it is difficult to see and without previous studies to refer back to it would be next to impossible to see the new growth. In my case, my local ortho doc does xrays in his office so my hubby's practice does not have immediate access to previous scans and Dr. Lenke's office has my xrays for the past year. I sent Dr. Lenke the latest views (3 months) so we will wait and see what he has to say...
              I feel great and am definately getting stronger everyday. Yesterday I walked over 3 miles- all in one stretch! and I walked almost 12,000 steps total.
              Best,
              Heidi
              53*T 71*L

Comment

I've recently had a bone scan to see if I am fused-currently waiting fir the results of that. My surgeon said even this isn't always 100%, that the only way to know how well your fused is to cut you open and see.
                Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Comment

I am having x-rays today locally and the results will be sent to Dr. Lenke . I had x-rays in St. Louis at 7 weeks. Dr Lenke's nurse said that he would be able to see new bone growth if it is occurring and it should be by this point. (I am about 5 1/2 months from my surgery)
                  Jane

Comment

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
                    Thanks Linda. That is what I was looking for! I think it is difficult to see and without previous studies to refer back to it would be next to impossible to see the new growth. In my case, my local ortho doc does xrays in his office so my hubby's practice does not have immediate access to previous scans and Dr. Lenke's office has my xrays for the past year. I sent Dr. Lenke the latest views (3 months) so we will wait and see what he has to say...
                    I feel great and am definately getting stronger everyday. Yesterday I walked over 3 miles- all in one stretch! and I walked almost 12,000 steps total.
                    Best,
                    Heidi
                    Wow, 3 miles in one stretch at 3 months out is awesome. I can only handle 1.5 - 2 miles and it causes a lot of back pain. After walking that long I have to lie down and rest for at least 1/2 hour or the day is gone.

How many miles were you able to walk without pain pre-op, Heidi?
                    Last edited by Irina; 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM.
                    I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                    45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                    A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

There is NOTHING that can tell a doctor with 100% certainty, that every level is fused. There are tests that are relatively accurate, but they all involve a lot of radiation.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Irena-
                        Before surgery I would walk about 3 or so but by 8pm I would be in so much pain I would have to lie down. I was fine last night... before surgery I would use an elliptical for 30 minutes... can't wait to get back on it!
                        53*T 71*L

Comment

fusion or fracture

I was also told that you may see new bone growth on xrays,that is good, but not really be able to tell if everything is fusing. I fractured the level above my 1st fusion 6 days after surgery. I tried to tell any one who would listen, but kept being told it was OK. when the spine started curving{20 degrees in one year} I was sent for my second Ct--the fracture was found then because healing had taken place.I guess a healed bone tells what happened easier then finding the fracture.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                          Osteotomy

Comment

Heidi,
                            You are doing so well!
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

squatting... a litlle

Thanks, Karen! I do feel well. I talked with Angie (dr. Lenke's nurse) and she said I could start squatting some... wish I would have asked what that meant! Does that mean once or twice a day a half squat or what!?!?! I am trying to be carteful to follow protocals and precautions but it is extremely difficult especially when I feel so well.
                              Anyone remember squatting at 3 months post op?
                              53*T 71*L

Comment

Working...
                              X