Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some confidence....anyone have any to give me? Making the BIG decision!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by golfnut View Post
    Susan,
    I am glad to read that you are feeling better about having surgery. No one takes the decision for surgery lightly, but we weigh the pros and cons and make the decision that we think is right for us.
    I don't know if you have your hair colored or not, but if so, I would recommend having it done right before your surgery. I also had a throw away razor taped to a long plastic handle for shaving my legs. I used it for many months. I bought slip on Sketcher tennis shoes that I could put on and take off independently with a long shoe horn.
    Best of luck! The waiting was the most difficult time for me.
    Thanks. No hair color, but do have leg shaving needs. I will try to hookup my razor....or just go Northwest Natural....just kidding.
    I have lots of slipon shoes, but will consider a pair of Sketchers.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Don't know if you meant the pedi is before surgery, but you might wanna postpone that. They will want to see your unpolished toes as an indicator of circulation. At least that was the policy at Barnes-Jewish.

My best recovery tools, though an investment, I admit, we're: iPhone, memory foam mattress and risers for the clothes washer/dryer. If you have the inclination to get any of these, shopping might be a good distraction. Also movies, exercise (if possible) and easy-read books. Think Hunger Games or Fifty Shades. These are good pre- and post-op.

Oh, if you do go shopping, pick up a few tank tops or loose fitting bras. The regular ones are uncomfortable for a while. I'm assuming you've got grabbers and the sock tool. Also long-handled shoe horn and elastic shoe laces for tennis shoes.

Don't be afraid to post for reassurance. I posted a freak-out email the night before surgery. The responses really helped calm me down.

Best wishes,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
        Don't know if you meant the pedi is before surgery, but you might wanna postpone that. They will want to see your unpolished toes as an indicator of circulation. At least that was the policy at Barnes-Jewish.

My best recovery tools, though an investment, I admit, we're: iPhone, memory foam mattress and risers for the clothes washer/dryer. If you have the inclination to get any of these, shopping might be a good distraction. Also movies, exercise (if possible) and easy-read books. Think Hunger Games or Fifty Shades. These are good pre- and post-op.

Oh, if you do go shopping, pick up a few tank tops or loose fitting bras. The regular ones are uncomfortable for a while. I'm assuming you've got grabbers and the sock tool. Also long-handled shoe horn and elastic shoe laces for tennis shoes.

Don't be afraid to post for reassurance. I posted a freak-out email the night before surgery. The responses really helped calm me down.

Best wishes,
        Evelyn
        Thanks, Evelyn. I have most of those items. I did purchase some shirts for under my brace. I am surprised that I am so relaxed about the surgery as I was a basket case all weekend. Maybe I am in denial.
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

• Many of us calm right down prior to surgery, sort of "let it all go" type of thing. All I felt in the last few days is, "let's get this show on the road! I've waited long enough!"
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            Many of us calm right down prior to surgery, sort of "let it all go" type of thing. All I felt in the last few days is, "let's get this show on the road! I've waited long enough!"
            I have researched everything obsessively. Irina said, "I just want to get this over". I know what she was talking about. I just want to DO IT. I trust my surgeon and decided that I was not going to be the 1/100 little old ladies that dies from the surgery. Let go of that one.

Thanks for your encouragement. Susan

Comment

• You will be in my prayers
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I started looking to the future by thinking positive thoughts like "One week from now, I'll have a straight back and no rib hump." or "One month from now, I will be well on my way with recovery." I also had plenty of books to read and signed up for Netflix. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel guilty about taking a nap in the middle of the day or watching a movie while resting.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Irina's surgery went well. If it had not, I would have difficulty looking forward to surgery.
                  I am on vacation with family and friends. We are going up to Crater Lake tomorrow which should be covered in snow. I will work on getting in some zen zone. Susan

Comment

• Hi Susan,

you sound good! Day by day you are getting there.

I got my legs waxed a week before surgery since that lasts longer than shaving. Believe me, I did not care one little bit about how my hairy legs looked for many weeks after surgery. I don't think you will, either! I also treated myself to a "back facial" at a nice spa a week before surgery. I convinced myself it might reduce the bacterial count on my skin. It felt nice at least, and I did not get an infection after surgery!

Don't forget to visit the dentist and have your teeth cleaned before surgery. I made sure and do it several weeks before so that any bacteria released into my blood from the cleaning would be long gone by surgery day. You definitely don't want to have to lay in the dentist's chair for awhile after surgery!

We're thinking of you as your day gets close.
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

• Susan,
                      Keep the faith and positive thinking going. I am praying for you as each day draws closer.

Tamena
                      Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

• Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
                        Hi Susan,

you sound good! Day by day you are getting there.

I got my legs waxed a week before surgery since that lasts longer than shaving. Believe me, I did not care one little bit about how my hairy legs looked for many weeks after surgery. I don't think you will, either! I also treated myself to a "back facial" at a nice spa a week before surgery. I convinced myself it might reduce the bacterial count on my skin. It felt nice at least, and I did not get an infection after surgery!

Don't forget to visit the dentist and have your teeth cleaned before surgery. I made sure and do it several weeks before so that any bacteria released into my blood from the cleaning would be long gone by surgery day. You definitely don't want to have to lay in the dentist's chair for awhile after surgery!

We're thinking of you as your day gets close.
                        You and I are on the same wave length. I had my teeth cleaned 2 weeks ago. I will figure out the wax thing. I will be in Oakland for a week before my surgery, so will check out waxing. One thing that is an advantage, is that being 15 years into menopause, hair growth is slow and sparse.

I didn't make it to the dermatologist, but he/she can wait. My prev MD moved, so I need to start all over again. I have a pain management MD lined up at OHSU for after I return to PDX. We also bought. A condo in PDX, so that I can do my PT at OHSU.

I think that I will buy some Hebiclens and have my husband wash my back for a few days before surgery. Infection worries me.

I will call you next week for your suggestions for last minute confidence. I owe you an explanation about changing doctors.

Surgery is in less than 2 weeks. My right leg and right butt hurt so much from stenototic L4, that it is a reminder that I do need surgery. My Left butt, sciatica has started to hurt. When I look in the mirror, I markedly lean to the right, thus my coronal balance is 11! If I don't have surgery, maybe I would fall over! My left hip and the Meralgia Paresthetica has started to hurt again, so maybe I need another steroid inj in the femoral nerve area.

I have decided that I want to see the OR. To me, the more machinery and people, the more confidence it would give me. I would actually like to walk to the OR (day one, not day 2). I guess that I don't need to worry about getting to surgery on time on the second day, huh? We will need to go to UCSF quite early on Tuesday as I need to be there at 0600 and my son lives in Oakland and we need to go through rush hour traffic, actually it is probably early for rush hour traffic.

I have an appointment with Dr. Hu the day before surgery for last minute questions and I want my husband to meet her. She is amazingly calming and relaxed.

One thing that frustrates me is that she is unsure that my sciatic pain will be better after surgery. That would be a real bummer, to put it mildly. I am trying to relax and just "go with it" and whatever happens, happens, but it is not easy. I will ask her about the pathophysiology of that. My PT thought that maybe the pain pathways had been too long established. Wish that someone had told me about that 6 months ago....but then again, I was still under the umbrella of the steroid injection and was pain free.

Susan

Comment

• Thank you to everyone for your good wishes. I am totally amazed that I am so relaxed now, as I was even thinking of canceling a month ago. I do not think that I would have cancelled as once I commit to something, I don't back out. I feel that I am proactively choosing surgery as the alternative is a progressive decline where surgery would be more difficult and have more risk and less correction. A friend has an aunt who waited until she was in severe pain and 80, and no one would do surgery for her.

I welcome all prayers and good thoughts on the 19th and 22nd. Susan

Comment

• Susan--
                            So glad you have reached that relaxed stage. I felt that too. We will all be thinking of you and praying for a great outcome! Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                            X