Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding change in sagittal and coronal balance & little change in cobb angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
    Your body is compensating for the curves. Instead of, for example, weight loading your lumbar curve, the left hip can subconsciously be shifted to the left, the body and mind's attempt to still have the spine function as a load bearer. Pulling the hip back towards the mid-line would likely result in the lumbar curve increasing.
    In this case, I think it's more likely that the body is compensating for pain (not curves).
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for everyone's attempts to help me understand the chsnge.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        Susan... I've merged your two threads on this topic. Whenever possible, please keep like topics together as a single thread, as it can get pretty confusing otherwise. Thanks.

--Linda
        Thanks Linda...sorry that I am being confusing...that pretty much sums uo how I feel! Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          In this case, I think it's more likely that the body is compensating for pain (not curves).
          This will be the number 1 question that I will ask on my second opinion. Why the change in balance when there is no change in the curve? How can disks degenerate more and the curve stays the same and yet I lean markedly to the Right [changed coronal balance]. Thanks for trying to help me understand all of this. Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
            This will be the number 1 question that I will ask on my second opinion. Why the change in balance when there is no change in the curve? How can disks degenerate more and the curve stays the same and yet I lean markedly to the Right [changed coronal balance]. Thanks for trying to help me understand all of this. Susan
            You have an increasing lean and bad pain. The answer to why your sagittal balance is worsening but not your curves is irrelevant to the DDD because of the pain and lean. I don't think there is any conservative solution that then becomes available and effective depending on what the answer to that question is. I think that is why Hart said what he did to you. You have one option remaining apparently according to him.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
            X