15 y/o daughter having surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 y/o daughter having surgery

My daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis about 2 years ago. When she was first diagnosed her curve was already at 37*. We discovered it completely by accident when she went to the doctor complaining of headaches. She was in a brace for a little over a year. When we went to see the Dr. in Oct. the curve had grown to 48*. The curve is low in her back and it is very obvious as she is higher on one side of her body than the other. She has constant pain in her back. The doctor believes that because it is lower in her spine that it will continue to get worse. We have decided to go through with the surgery. I don't know much about it except that he will fuse her spine. I will find out more in March when her next check up is. My question is how long will she need to recover? I want her to have it done over the summer so she doesn't miss out on school. Will 6 weeks be long enough or should I plan on her having the surgery as soon as she gets out of school for the summer? I wanted her to be able to have some fun at the beginning of summer but at the same time I want to make sure she will be well enough to go to school in the fall.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Rlea

Hi Rlea :
    Would you be interested before the surgery to inquiere about the Katherie Schorth Klinic in Germany or Spain ? You can go in the Internet and ask for a lot of information . In Spain , in Barcelona is doctor Manuel Rigo.
    I just came from both clinics and they are doing an incredible work with youngsters and their rehabilitation method is barely known in his USA . I saw patients including myself from 9 years old to 70 improving .
    Please let me know if I can help you any further .
    Your daughter with the proper conservative treatment has a great possibility of improving.
    Warm regards, Beatriz
    BT

Comment

Rlea

My 13 y.o. daughter had surgery 7 1/2 weeks ago and is doing awesome! Jamie's Scoliosis was about 36* at diagnosis and about 46* before surgery and about 14* after surgery. Here are a few threads/postings you might want to look at since you'll find a lot of your questions answered there: 1) Back to school 2) Surgery is over 3) Jamie's home. In these, all under adolescents, we've discussed a lot of stuff! If you don't find want you are looking for, feel free to private message me with any questions you may have.

Good luck.

Mary Lou

Comment

My daughter is scheduled for surgery on 2nd May (she has two reapidly progressing curves, currently 52 thoracic and 50 lumbar).

Her surgeon, who has done this procedure many times says that, barring complications, we should anticipate one week in the hospital and 6 weeks home from school.

Some of the U.S. girls seem to go back to school half days at four weeks, so some surgeons are apparently more conservative than others.

Good luck - Patricia
        Patricia
        Scoli Mum from New Zealand
        Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
        Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Originally posted by Beatriz Torres
          Hi Rlea :
          Would you be interested before the surgery to inquiere about the Katherie Schorth Klinic in Germany or Spain ?
          When our duaghter was first diagnosed we read about the Schorth Clinic, and of course wanted to try a treatment that didn't require a surgical solution. Our doctor said he was unconvinced by their published results, but it is of course obligatory to assume that your doctor will only promote the treatments he prefers, so we still wanted to consider this option. A good friend of ours in Germany got in touch with the Clinic for us. Unfortunately, the first question they asked was if we had sufficient medical insurance (it's not cheap). Sometimes it's hard not to feel a bit cynical about the medical industry. Our NZ medical insurance doesn't cover going to Europe for alternative treatments, so we were unable to pursue this any further. I suspect some American insurers will take the same position.

Patricia
          Patricia
          Scoli Mum from New Zealand
          Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
          Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

hi rlea
            My daughter is 14 and had surgery nov 3. She took alittle longer returning to school than some of the others on here that had surgery, not because of any complication just because we waited until she was really feeling up to sitting on those hard chairs all day. She went back about 10 weeks post op. The first week she went half days and the next week she went full days. Like marylou said go to some of those posts that she suggested and there is tons of information on the girls who recently had surgery about their recoverys. They are all doing great. My daughter is 3 months post op and sometimes i forget she even had this surgery. It is amazing.
            good luck
            jennifer

Comment

Thanks

Thank you to all who posted. I've gone through some of the other threads and it has been very helpful.

Comment

Working...
              X