Surgery 11/27/2012 Out of the hospital on 12/9/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery 11/27/2012 Out of the hospital on 12/9/12

Major complication was GAS pains due to dormant lazy intestines. Spending 72+ additional hours of bed rest due to the dural tear(totally expected and Dr Bridwell had a neurologist there) to immediately fix - did not help the passing of gas.

Lots of suppositories. No back pains. But getting comfortable in bed was a major complaint. I could feel every little bump (or pea) due to the pads that they use under the body to lift/shift and catch if necessary. However, those pads were introduced into the market in 1940 because they had been washed a million times losing shape etc.

Ok, I am pretty OK. I am walking the hallways of the Metro Lofts ( a big T) last night I could hardly take a step but at the same time yesterday was my first glorious shower. Husband installed a doulbe head shower with one movable to the bench. Great to scrub the hair and just feel the warm hot water on the body.

This morning after breakfast according to my (militant husband and his schedulings) I had to go walk which I found not too bad. I've been counting steps and increasing loops. Today I walked 525 steps - from 475 yesterday morning. Take me to the Mall and I can assure you that I will be walking 10 times more.

I only had one day of regret (ONE). Now that the pain is bearable to almost an inconvenience, I would do this again minus the hospital and minus a few of the hospital nurses (one in particular).

Apologize to those who are also reading the Caring Bridge becasue I will copy and paste over. I like Caring Bridge because it alerts people of updates versus having to dig into blogs with non-relevant headings.

REady to go back to be. Been up for 3 hours.
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

I have been following your blog and I am so happy that you are doing well.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Gardenia,
      I am so happy that you are doing so well. We 60 year olds are a tough bunch!
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glad to hear that you are doing well
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Glad your doing well
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Been following your caringbridge and are glad to see you are doing better!

It'll surprise you how each week things will get easier and easier (compared to the initial after surgery part)

Comment

So far very good and happy

I had one segment of time at the hospital when I absolutely regretted the surgery due to the gas pains same as giving birth to my second child and scratching my hunband's arms saying that this is all his fault! Just a short moment of regret.

Yesterday ( Dec 16 ) a week out of the hospital, I had a moment of depression because I was bored and tired doing the same routine.

I am not a physically active person but mentally I am. I will survive the time.

Can't wait to go home, I think. Everything bores me. I can't read for long, there is so much computer and sitting I can take. TV is out of the question as my husband needs to work and the commercials drives me nuts.

First year in my life that I have relinquished xmas shopping.

But, it is all worth it to see my shoulders even and that both my daughters are not so so much taller than I.

I remember 30 years ago dancing with my husband (maybe with heels) and could easily place my arms around his shoulders. But, for the past 10-15, I was like some of those monkeys with long arms that they sell at the dollar store, I hung on his neck.

I am happy that I had a career and did everything I needed to do i.e. raise a family, save money for that rainy day, and able to retire in some comfort. Happy that I do not have the stress to find a job or make ends meet. My husband continues to work mainly because he loves it and there is insurance that picks up the tab without much questioning.

I wish everyone the same luck - take care of you back because it is what holds you up all day. Also, treat you feet with 10-15 minutes of love and tell them how thankful you are for them to keep you standing.

gardenia
              Gardenia
              Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
              pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
              Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
              T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Ah, that feeling of immense gratitude! I still feel it.

My friend, a nurse, just did a month volunteering in an East Timor clinic. ET is Asia's poorest country - by a mile.

We are the lucky ones, no doubt about it.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                X