Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jerseyot: All Done, But Needed 6 surgeries, not 5...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerseyot: All Done, But Needed 6 surgeries, not 5...

Well, I made It - barely - out of that 1st surgery on Nov.15th. All in all it was 10 hours long and I'm fused now fused T1-S1 but they didn't touch the pelvic anchors (thank God). I had an extremely hard time with bleeding (as suspected) and one of the most difficult parts was getting off of the ventilator. There is a vent number, with 14 being minimum number at which my hospital likes patient to achieve before attempting extubation. Well, my number just hovered between 6-8 for hours and hours; once a patient hits 4 crash carts are left bed side. When I hit 3 and they started manually resuscitating with the ambu bag; my Dad and aunt (my Mom was home with the kids and it was about midnight) and stopped looking at the numbers. My Dad snapped one last picture of me and later when I was feeling a lot better, he said "I was there to see you take your first breath and I was terrified that I was watching you take your last. Your eyes were soooooo scared, wide open with tears - and I knew we you could hear me" (And he was absolutely right on both accounts)

So I recovered slowly, day by day, and 4 days after the operation, I was oozing a ton of fluid and the surgeon was very concerned about the amount of drainage. So the day before thanksgiving he puts me on the emergency surgery schedule. And then a 1 hour procedure turns into 4-1/2 hours. The fluid was infected by staph aureous, had blood clots and some evidence of CerebroSpinal Fluid. So he "power washed" it took a sample and sent it away. Before we knew, they came back saying that Infectious Disease had been notified and that I had a staph infection. And so now NOW I'm on IV Vancomycin for 2 weeks (1 week to go) --- AND IF THAT ISNT ENOUGH, a few days later, I developed BILATERAL PLEURAL EFFUSIONS - its all a miracle that sitting here talking to you about all that happened. It's been one long ride and as soon as I get home I'll upload some photos

As for now, I'm in one of the best rehab hospitals in the Phila-metro area and if all goes well and I work as hard as possible, I will be home JUST in time for Christmas.
    Last edited by jerseyot; 12-14-2012, 08:39 PM.
    1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
    Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
    Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
    Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
    http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
    www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

I am so sorry that you had to go thru all of this but it seems like you are on the right track finally.

I will keep you in my prayers
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Thank Goodness

Hi Michele,

Thanks goodness the surgeries are all behind you, and I'm sorry to hear what a tough time you've had! You are one tough lady.

I know lots of us are very relieved to hear from you...now rest up and heal. I hope you will get home for Christmas!
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

I am one of those very happy to hear you've got your surgeries behind you and are on the mend. I know I'm not alone in coming here each day to find out how you're doing. You've certainly been through the mill but it sounds like the worst is far behind you. Glad to hear you're in a great rehab hospital and there's a chance for you to be home for Christmas. I look forward to updates as your recovery progresses.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

wow....you have been thru the mill, and then some!
          i am amazed you can sit up to type at all...
          so sorry you have suffered so much, and so glad the worst is hopefully over....
          it should be a great gift if you can just BE home for Christmas...
          i will hope and cross my fingers that you get there....

thoughts and prayers for better healing days to come...
          jess...& Sparky

Comment

Oh, Michele, you've really had a time of it. We were all worrying and wondering. I am so glad that you are now moving in the right direction with your recovery. Continued positive thoughts are prayers coming your way and truly hope you are home for Christmas! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I was one who checked here every single day as well as your blog. I was really becoming worried when no one had heard anything, so I was relieved to see that you had posted. You certainly had an extremely rough time, but it sounds like you are on the way to recovery. I hope you have nothing but smooth sailing from here on. It will be a wonderful Christmas when you are able to be home with your family.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi jerseyot,
                Glad you are feeling good enough to post. I am glad that you had a successful surgery despite the complications. I wish that you move from strength to strength every day and I am sure you will.
                Goodluck, rajma
                Congenital Scoliosis and Kyphosis
                Diagnosis at Age 42, Main Thoracolumbar curve 72 deg
                Surgery on Aug 15, 2012
                Fused T4 to L4, 2 SPOs

Comment

6 surgeries

Hi Michelle...I have also been checking daily plus your blog for some news. I was thrilled to see your post but so so sorry for all you have had to go through. You are very strong and have so much faith. It wil get you through. Please keep us updated as you continue your journey back to good health.
                  Patty
                  1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                  1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                  Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                  December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Michele

Its good that all the surgeries are done, now try to stay strong and beat this staph....You have really been hit with a lot, but you know that soon this will be over with, and you will be home for Christmas....

How does your back feel?

Post when you can...

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Michelle,
                      I am so glad to hear from you. We have all been worried about you. What a tough journey this has been for you and I sincerely hope the worst is over for you and that you have a successful and easy recovery from here on in. You have been and will continue to be in my prayers.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Oh, thank God you're back! I was really worried about you!!! Your story brought tears to my eyes, and I am just so happy to hear you are on the mend and on your way home to your kiddos soon. Please keep us posted about your progress.

Best,
                        Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

So Good to hear from you. It sounds like you had a rough time. So glad you are on the mend!
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                          Osteotomy

Comment

Anybody hear from Michele? Its been a while.

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,
                              Michele posted on her blog on December 15th that she was home. I hope she's just resting and getting better while spending much needed time with her kiddos. She went through much more of a horrible ordeal than her original post. So, Michele, if you are reading this, I hope you are feeling much better.
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                              X