Questions about Dural Decompensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Dural Decompensation

Hi Everyone....11 days from surgery. I need some support here. I received a call from the doctor's nurse yesterday. The doctor has not decided on how many levels he is going to fuse until he sees how much bone and my synovial cyst could be attached to the dura....the dura is the outer covering of the spinal canal....if the dura tears at the point where the L4-L5 needs decompressed or where the cyst needs removed, the doctor will suture it. The more places the dura tears, the higher risk of losing spinal canal fluid. I was hoping I would be fused from L2-sacrum but now it depends on what he finds when going in. Of course, I told the doctor's nurse that I will certainly depend totally on his expertise to make those decisions even though I was hoping I could be fused to the sacrum....a once and done deal. Do any of you, especially Linda and TitaniumEd, have any experience or information regarding the dura and have any of you had experience with your doctor having to suture the dura? I am a little worried about this even though I have one of the best doctors around and then worried if he only fuses L4-L5, I will still have problems at L2-L3, L3-L4 and L5-S1. Ed, did you have severe lateral stenosis in the lumbar area. The nurse is saying when severe lateral stenosis is involved, there is a much better chance some of the bone is attached to the dura. Thanks everyone for your input.....11 days to go!!!!

Patty
    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Patty

Its not worth worrying about these things....things that are beyond your control. I personally did not have a dural tear, or any outstanding stenosis issues....Many of the calls are done once they get in, and with many factors at play, all we can do is hang in there and see how things go. You have an outstanding surgeon who has been around the block a few times. Believe and trust in him. I’m sure you will be fine.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20810935

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Patty,
      I had experience with this. The dura tore 4 times in my 1st surgery. And was repaired 4 times. All turned out Ok. I believe the drs know this may happen and know what to do. I do recall a major headache the next day---at the time I did not know about the problems that the Dr had---I just thought the headache was from such a long surgery. Your Dr is just being prepared for what he may face. Private message me and I will give you more info.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Hi Patty...

Dural tears aren't exactly commonplace, but they definitely*are one of the more common complications (more in revision surgery). I had dural tears in both of my surgeries. I suspect that Dr. Bridwell would not do your surgery if he felt that there was too big a risk.

Hang in there. There are lots of thing about which you can stress, but the stress just makes it worse. Try to relax if you can. If something bad happens, you'll deal with it when it presents itself.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My grandson had a dural tear from a spinal tap when he had Lime disease. Poor kid, he had a major headache for a week before a doctor figured out what was happening. In his case, it was a simple repair with blood drawn in a tube with no anticoagulant and that blood was placed at the site of the tear. The blood clotted and sealed up the hole. Who knew!
          You will be fine Patty. You have one of the best Docs.
          Sally
          Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
          Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
          Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
          Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
          New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
          Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by yacpatty View Post
            Hi Everyone....11 days from surgery. I need some support here. I received a call from the doctor's nurse yesterday. The doctor has not decided on how many levels he is going to fuse until he sees how much bone and my synovial cyst could be attached to the dura....the dura is the outer covering of the spinal canal....if the dura tears at the point where the L4-L5 needs decompressed or where the cyst needs removed, the doctor will suture it. The more places the dura tears, the higher risk of losing spinal canal fluid. I was hoping I would be fused from L2-sacrum but now it depends on what he finds when going in. Of course, I told the doctor's nurse that I will certainly depend totally on his expertise to make those decisions even though I was hoping I could be fused to the sacrum....a once and done deal. Do any of you, especially Linda and TitaniumEd, have any experience or information regarding the dura and have any of you had experience with your doctor having to suture the dura? I am a little worried about this even though I have one of the best doctors around and then worried if he only fuses L4-L5, I will still have problems at L2-L3, L3-L4 and L5-S1. Ed, did you have severe lateral stenosis in the lumbar area. The nurse is saying when severe lateral stenosis is involved, there is a much better chance some of the bone is attached to the dura. Thanks everyone for your input.....11 days to go!!!!

Patty
            I had a tear, I can't remember what level it was. They repaired it, and I had to lay flat for 24 hours post surgery. I was fine, there were no further complications.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

You are almost there and it will be very busy the next few days. Eat well and get your rest as your body will be going through a lot in just a few days. I did answer your PM. I aiso had a Cec surgery and just passed the 4 year mark. It is hard not to celebrate each year. Listen to Ed-- he has a wonderful take on this accomplishment! I will pray for the best for you. I think I noticed you are from PA,I was born near Pittsburg, but live in Illinois now.
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
              Osteotomy

Comment

I agree with Ed in that you need to worry about the things that you can control and the rest to leave to the competent hands of your doctor. Our levels of fusion are similar, so I look forward to hearing your progress.
                You will do fine whatever happens.
                Hugs
                Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Patty

Your probably travelling or have just gotten there and just wanted to wish you all the best for Tuesday.

Our thoughts are with you.

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Dural Deficiency

Hi Ed,

Thanks so much for your well wishes. Surgery starts at 7:30 am St. Louis time. Ed, happy birthday on the 11th. Enjoy every day of your good health. I have had so much radiation from x-rays and CT scans, I think I just might be glowing in the dark. Ha!!!!! I will post on the forum as soon as I am feeling well enough.

Patty
                    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                    Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Patty,
                      I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. You are in good hands! It will be fine. You probably already have your central line, so that part is over. Now you just go to sleep and let Dr. Bridwell and team do their work.
                      I'll be watching for your post surgery posts!
                      Hugs,
                      Kathy
                      46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                      71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                      8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                      http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Thinking of you and hoping that all is going well.
                        Susan
                        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Patty--
                          Best of luck to you. Lots of people cheering & praying you on to a successful surgery and recovery! Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Are you OK? it will pass eventually (suppositories)

I was trying to find you, Yacpatty .... I had surgery and left the hospital on Dec 9th.

I had a dural tear and it was expected. Dr Bridwell had the Neurologist dept in the OR just to patch it if and when it happened. It happened and all is good only that it required 72 extra hours of bed rest which complicated the otherwise quicker recovery. With the extra time down, the intestines did not wake up sooner thus massive amount of gas invaded my front tummy (as opposed to my back tummy). No pain was felt on the back but the front was having a Rosemary's baby travelling up and down. My tummy was so bloated and one can see the journey of the gas starting from one end to the other.

Dr Bridwell asked if by chance I might be pregnant as I was so distented. Husband said: Not mine! I said: the only person I have been close is with you Dr Bridwell and it absolutely feels like 3 (three) little white hair short BOYS wearing medical gowns and stestoscope running wild in my stomach to see how much havoc they can make.

He laughed! And, he is absoulutely adorable and caring. All the nurses are terrified of him to an extend that I had to argue with them that I am not (they might) but he is my doctor, i.e. I hired him. There is nothing more frustrating than to have a nurse argue with you about their believes. It gains nothing but more stress.

I was released and moved over to the Metro Lofts until Jan 19 making sure all is right before returning to Mexico.

I never exercised much before but now I am very motivated to walk the halls because of the constipation, the knees pain, the leg circulation not to mention pain in both hips and butt.

Moving forward my friend.... Call or contact me if you like 650 862 6708 (very busy in bed switching between a kindle, a book, or playing a game. Very boring. My husband works in the living room and has been really helpful.

Getting up and down in bed is easy. Turning is difficult....

gardenia
                            Gardenia
                            Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
                            pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
                            Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
                            T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X