Tired feeling/pressure in lower back/tailbone area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired feeling/pressure in lower back/tailbone area

The past few days I've had increasing pain, well more pressure or achy/tired feeling in my tailbone area. Has anyone else ever had this?
    38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Not really had symptoms like that. Have you lifted something heavy or bent over to pick something up in an unusual way or anything that might have strained your lower back?
    Posterior fusion T-3 to S-1 scheduled 12/6/12 and anterior fusion scheduled 12/11/12.
    Dr. Sigurd Bergen, UCSF

Comment

Have you increased the amount of time you're spending sitting?
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I haven't really done anything different than I normally do. I even switched to overnight shift so my patient is in bed and I'm only putting her on the bedpan compared to lifting, pulling and bending. I do feel like my curve has gotten worse over the past few months. Maybe it's in my head but my cosmetic deformity/rib hump has definitely gotten worse and I'm taking narcotic pain meds now when I wasn't before. I don't mean to whine, I'm just so uncomfortable between my collapsed rib cage and back pain, this new uncomfortable pressure type feeling is just one more thing. I'm crying constantly and not just bc of pain, I'm just a big mess right now. This isn't like me. I've suffered with my scoliosis since I was a kid and even went through 14 hrs child birth with NO drugs and now I can't even drive without pain. I broke down this morning and smoked a cigarette after 43 days of not smoking. Ugh. Thanks for listening
        Last edited by Jennilee; 11-29-2012, 09:26 AM.
        38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Comment

hi Jenilee
          please remind yourself that you can do anything you want to when
          you get upset....EXCEPT smoke! that is what i kept telling myself when
          i quit, years ago...i know it is hard...doctors compare quitting nicotine
          to quitting heroin....but it is do-able...i do remember i had to keep my
          hands busy...i would tear up napkins and roll the pieces into little balls
          when i went out with friends to restaurants...
          i was so used to having a cigarette in my hands...

i have pain in my hips...i think it is connected to disc damage...also
          related to some nerves being pressed on, possible from the stenosis
          i have....i do not know if you have herniated discs or nerves that are
          being pinched....just a thought about what could be causing it...
          is there any chance your lower curve is getting worse as welll....????

hope you feel better soon...
          are you on any meds to help you deal with psychological difficulties...??
          waiting for surgery creates so much anxiety....

jess

Comment

Thanks Jess. And your right, smoking is not an option. I met with my GP today and he gave me lorazepam for anxiety and put me back on Chantix for the smoking. It really does work. I just wanted to do it without it. I feel like the bottom is definitely worse And my curve goes to L4 so my GP thinks that bc the curve is so big that its putting alot of pressure on L5 and sacrum area which is causing the pressure. I'm feeling alittle better now telling myself that 4 weeks will go by quickly...I hope

Comment

Hi Jennilee...

I'm not sure why, but I often hear patients say that they feel their curves get bigger and/or their pain gets much worse, right before surgery. I suspect it's all an issue of the increased stress and anxiety making you focus on the issue more than before.

Hang in there. It won't be long.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, that really makes sense. Before I knew I could "be fixed", I just thought I would be deformed and in pain for the rest of my life so I tried to live as much a normal life as I could working like crazy and dealing with it but now it's so close to such a life changing event that it is causing so much anxiety/stress. That sure explains the crying jags over any mushy commercial or even reading gardenias updates on caringbridge I found myself crying. My dr gave me .5 lorazepam to last until surgery next month and I feel alot better already. The pains are all still there but I guess they always were lol like you said, it will be here soon. Thanks everyone

Comment

glad you have medication that will help you...
                  and do not worry about Chantix...
                  the way i see it, it doesn't matter HOW you quit...it just matters
                  that you STAY quit...

good that you are feeling a little better...
                  jess...& Sparky

Comment

We're all feeling what you feel and truly do know what you're going through. It's hard to wait, once the date is set and I agree you feel more pain and discomfort as that days lead up to your "salvation" date. Preparing for your surgery may help keep your mind more positive. I read Linda's list of what to have of do before your surgery many times and each time I found some prep thing that I could look into, or arrange, or make a call about. There are arrangements for your child, or pet, rearranging kitchen things so you will be able to reach things, medical directives, will, even calls to your bank or credit card company telling them you'll be using your card in an out of the ordinary area. Please know we all want to give you a hug, and listen to your worries, so please, let us all be there for you.
                    Posterior fusion T-3 to S-1 scheduled 12/6/12 and anterior fusion scheduled 12/11/12.
                    Dr. Sigurd Bergen, UCSF

Comment

"Knitter", your surgery is very soon! How exciting! Well now I can stop feeling bad for myself and put that energy into praying for you! I've been focusing more on gardenia's updates on caringbridge and the lorazepam is helping with anxiety. Also Linda's prep lists are incredible and will keep me busy. Thank you so much for the hug and I'm sending more back. How are you feeling so close to your date? Jess, the chantix is helping tremendously and your right...as long as I quit, who cares how. I am so blessed to have each and every one of you here in this safe place

Comment

Jennilee,

I too have more pain than I did before booking my surgery. Funny how things happen. Knitter, what is your degree of curve? I will be fused from T9 to sacrum. Three surgeries starting January 7. My husband and decided that 2013 will be for recovery and start to rethink thigs like moving this time next year. We are getting along in years and do not want to deal with the stairs.

Comment

I think my curve is in the 55 to 65 degree range. Until August I had a lower compensatory curve of around 50 degrees too, but when Dr. Berven looked at it in August, my back looked like a question mark, with the lower part pretty straight, but with no disc height left there. You must have a lot of pain with such a physically demanding job. Glad to see your relief is in sight. This part will actually go pretty fast. Thanks for the good wishes and hugs.
                          Sharon
                          Dr. Sigurd Bergen, UCSF

Comment

Working...
                          X