Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good luck, Gardenia on your upcoming surgery on Nov. 27th!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck, Gardenia on your upcoming surgery on Nov. 27th!!!!

Hi Gardenia,

I wanted to wish you luck on your upcoming surgery. I hope you've settled into St. Louis and are enjoying Turkey day with your daughters! Again, I'm local and you have my email address (which I am always on) and if you need anything let me know and I can help you out!

Hannah

What a nice offer!

Good luck Gardenia. We'll be thinking of you.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good luck and God bless gardenia! U will be in my prayers and thoughts!
      38 yo with 71* left thoracolumbar curve from untreated AIS dx'd @ age 10. Surgery on for Jan 3, 2013 with Dr.'s Robertson and http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ps321159d8.jpg. Spinal Fusion with instrumentation from T2-L4.

Comment

Good luck, Gardenia! You sound so determined...I know that you will do well. You are in my thoughts!
        Susan [still in Fiji, but leaving tomorrow for Papua New Guinea for a malaria project]
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Gardenia,

Good luck and I am hoping you have a speedy recovery. My thoughts are with you. Hannah, so nice of you to offer help. There should be more people in the world like you.

Libby

Comment

Gardenia,
            Best of luck with your surgery. You'll do just fine, I'm sure.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you all

I am still normal (according to myself). Family is having a hard time dealing with me because I keep changing my mind and being called a bit controlling. All I am trying to say is what I 'prefer' but I keep changing my mind about my plans as I watch the other 3 people (husband and 2 daughters (23 & 27) who are facing finals and comprehensive tests etc as they are PhD candidates) change their faces. Here I am trying in please everyone and they are saying they are trying to support me so I 'am controlling'.

Fortunately, it is only day and a half left to go. Monday in the morning is all about pre-op, anesthesia, and IV insert. All afternoon on clear liquids until the surgery.

Hannah, thank you so much for sharing... your blog has helped me a lot. I am having a daughter send emails as husband is sending twits to a list of people that I don't think really care. It is like they are the people who says to you: Good morning, how are you? Are they really want to know blow by blow?

I am having a horrible amount of pain on my right shoulder (for weeks) and it is my sleeping right side. My sleeping left side has a horrible left hip pain. Sleeping on my back intensifies my overall pains.

I hope all of this will go away next week and I can report that the surgery opening, muscles, nerves etc are minor compared to all these pains suffered for the past 50 years.

Thanks for all the support and prayers.
              Gardenia
              Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
              pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
              Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
              T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Ugh, you sound well and truly ready Gardenia. It's bad when you don't have a side left to sleep on! You're going to do great!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good luck Gardenia! I will be praying, but I'm sure there is a boatload who already have the faith that all will go well. Keep us posted!

Tamena
                  Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hope all goes well and soon you will be on the other side
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
                      I am still normal (according to myself). Family is having a hard time dealing with me because I keep changing my mind and being called a bit controlling. All I am trying to say is what I 'prefer' but I keep changing my mind about my plans as I watch the other 3 people (husband and 2 daughters (23 & 27) who are facing finals and comprehensive tests etc as they are PhD candidates) change their faces. Here I am trying in please everyone and they are saying they are trying to support me so I 'am controlling'.

Fortunately, it is only day and a half left to go. Monday in the morning is all about pre-op, anesthesia, and IV insert. All afternoon on clear liquids until the surgery.

Hannah, thank you so much for sharing... your blog has helped me a lot. I am having a daughter send emails as husband is sending twits to a list of people that I don't think really care. It is like they are the people who says to you: Good morning, how are you? Are they really want to know blow by blow?

I am having a horrible amount of pain on my right shoulder (for weeks) and it is my sleeping right side. My sleeping left side has a horrible left hip pain. Sleeping on my back intensifies my overall pains.

I hope all of this will go away next week and I can report that the surgery opening, muscles, nerves etc are minor compared to all these pains suffered for the past 50 years.

Thanks for all the support and prayers.
                      First, let me tell you that your name is beautiful. Second, I am 6 months post op from T9-sacrum and can say that I am pain free. I have little "ehhs" as I call them as I move forward in doing more and more each day but this is to be expected. I will be thinking of you as you prepare for your surgery and recovery. It sounds like you have a great support system which will help you. Best to you!

Comment

Good luck on the 27th
                        Kara
                        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                        T4-L2
                        Before 50T
                        After 20T

Comment

Signed up at caringcare bridge

FOLLOWING HANNAH'S great example which helped me a lot.... I am asking my daughter and husband to post. oldest daughter is not going to be at the hospital cuase has teaching all week and studying for finals in Columbia.
                          Husband might not be a participant, he is a man of few words. (She is still in surgery, She came out, She looks OK, She is sleeping, She is in pain, She is walking, Jane is going home, See Jane walk....)

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/gardenia

Will report about tomorrow's pre-op. 7am with Bridwell, 9am with anesthesia and blood test 11am with IV port insertion. Then on CLEAR LIquid diet until surgery check in at 5:30am
                          Gardenia
                          Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
                          pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
                          Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
                          T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Gardenia--
                            So glad I checked in and can wish you luck on your surgery. Positive energy, thoughts, prayers coming your way! Best wishes and for a good recovery. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Gardenia

Hope everything goes smooth.....soon you will be on the other side.

Remember that you will be in good hands....

Ed
                              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                              X