No announcement yet.

Nov. 8th surgery with Dr. O'Shaughnessy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pam, someone else may be able to help you with what a decompression actually is, but I'm assuming it means he made more room for the nerves so that they aren't being compressed (by bone?) This sounds like a sensible thing to do to try and stop your pain. The screw may also have been perilously close to a nerve, but that's gone now, so fingers crossed he's fixed the problem!

A blood transfusion will pick you up enormously. I had one on Day 2 and it enabled me to stand and walk (the first time, I nearly passed out when they sat me up.)

I hope they can get your pain under control. These first day or two can be horrible. Thinking of you and hoping things will improve quickly for you.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hi Pam
      internet research shows it is just as Jen wrote...

"Decompression is a surgical procedure that is performed to alleviate pain caused by pinched nerves (neural impingement). During a lumbar decompression back surgery, a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to give the nerve root more space and provide a better healing environment."

hope you feel better and get some pain relief soon...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Praying for you.

Tamena
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Pam
          Five months after my Scoliosis Surgery my husband had nerve decompression at L4-L5. We thought of it as a roto rooter of the space surrounding the nerve. It was explained to us that if the nerve is compressed for some time than it takes longer settle down and heal. My husband was in significant pain post op and eventually needed to take neurontin . At exactly 6 weeks the pain left and he has been symptom free since that time. Hang in there and best of luck with this recovery.
          Nan
          Surgery 7/12/11
          T10-L5 fusion with instrumentation

Comment

Originally posted by nanut View Post
            Pam
            Five months after my Scoliosis Surgery my husband had nerve decompression at L4-L5. We thought of it as a roto rooter of the space surrounding the nerve. It was explained to us that if the nerve is compressed for some time than it takes longer settle down and heal. My husband was in significant pain post op and eventually needed to take neurontin . At exactly 6 weeks the pain left and he has been symptom free since that time. Hang in there and best of luck with this recovery.
            Nan
            Surgery 7/12/11
            T10-L5 fusion with instrumentation
            Wow, that gives me some hope then. Thank you!!!
            Pam, age 49
            Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
            April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
            T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Pam,
              Inspite of feeling lousy now, I think it sounds really positive that the source of your excrutiating pain has been eliminated and you will soon start noticing improvements.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Pam,
                My husband, is a physician, and says that a decompression of the nerves is making the opeining where the nerve comes out between vertebrae larger. They usually cut away some of the bone that is pinching the nerve.
                Best wishes on your recovery,
                Gretchen

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                  hi Pam
                  internet research shows it is just as Jen wrote...

"Decompression is a surgical procedure that is performed to alleviate pain caused by pinched nerves (neural impingement). During a lumbar decompression back surgery, a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to give the nerve root more space and provide a better healing environment."

hope you feel better and get some pain relief soon...

jess...& Sparky
                  Jess is exactly correct. I had decompression surgery about two years after my fusion surgery because of residual nerve pain in my right leg. It may have helped a little, but I still have some pain.
                  Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                  X