Surgery scheduled for Monday- scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery scheduled for Monday- scared

To have surgery on Monday, T10 or 11 to sacrum. Surgery will be in Minneapolis by Dr. James Schwender. The more I read the more anxious I get. Very sore now as not taking the NSAIDS. Before I was able to get rid of the back and leg pain, at least for awhile, by lying down. Afraid that I will be one of those with constant pain after or be severely limited. Are these fears common? I know the recovery is difficult but do most end up better off?

I appreciate the input received in the past. These forums have alot of information not given by the doctors.

Thank you,
    Gretchen

Originally posted by tennisplayer View Post
    To have surgery on Monday, T10 or 11 to sacrum. Surgery will be in Minneapolis by Dr. James Schwender. The more I read the more anxious I get. Very sore now as not taking the NSAIDS. Before I was able to get rid of the back and leg pain, at least for awhile, by lying down. Afraid that I will be one of those with constant pain after or be severely limited. Are these fears common? I know the recovery is difficult but do most end up better off?

I appreciate the input received in the past. These forums have alot of information not given by the doctors.

Thank you,
    Gretchen
    Gretchen,
    I am not going to lie to you. I am two weeks out from surgery. I had a severe double major curve and chose to go with a new type of surgery, which was scary. I am not going to say there will be no pain, but each day will get better and in the end you will forget the previous pain. Follow your doctors orders to a t for he/she has done this procedure a million times. For us, having major surgery is like blind faith and believing in that higher power without seeing it. Tell yourself that pain is temporary and lean on those in this forum to give you encouragement. I will begin praying for you and your surgeons hands. But every emotion you have right now is 100% normal and we have all been there. The next few months are going to be tough, but keep telling yourself it can and will be done. Soon you will be on the other side as many of our scoliosis brothers and sisters on this site. This site will turn into a second family for you on so many levels. Keep the faith and all,will be fine.

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Thank you

Thank you Tamena. I'm encouraged that you are even able to post two weeks after surgery. I hope you have a speedy, noneventful recovery.

Gretchen

Comment

Gretchen,

You will be fine. It is hard especially the wait. My advice is to push through hard when they get you out of bed. Make goals for walking further every time they come. My hospital had lines every fee feet and each time my goal was to go to the next line and eventually down the hall. They originally said I would be in the hospital for 10-14 days and I said you wait and see, I will be out in 7. I was only through determination. You have to remain mentally strong because if you believe you can do it then no amount of pains going to keep you down. We are all praying! Keep us posted on your recovery.
        Tamena
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Gretchen,

Will be saying prayers for you! Yes, there will be pain but as said by others, it gets better every day after the surgery.

Be sure to have friends or families work with the hospital staff to get the pain medications you need. It's better to try to keep ahead of the pain as oppose to holding off and then catch up with the mediciation.

They will have you up and walking a day or two after your surgery...and from there you push yourself but also make sure you rest. Resting helps you heal too.

I'm one year post op and flying around the country for work.
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Hi Gretchen,
            My 1st surgery was t10-pelvis. Not a one of us will tell you it is easy. In fact it is really tough,but it is do able. And we will all say as soon as you can walk--do so. It helps in may ways. The one thing I had problems with is sitting in a chair. Pt would come and get me in a chair and not come back. The hospital staff should have been better educated in the fact that fused to the sacrum and pelvis it is hand to sit . Make sure to express this to the person with you so while you are weak and sick ,they can speak for you.Do remember this passes and it will be better.My prayers are going with you.
            Jackie
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

Gretchen,
              As others have said, your fears are 100% normal. We all have "what ifs" negative thoughts. I tried to push them out of my mind and think positive before and after my surgery. Try really hard to think of the light at the end of the tunnel and your odds for a better future because you decided to have this surgery. We will look forward to hearing from you after your surgery.
              Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
              Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
              70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
              Rib Hump-GONE!
              Age-60 at the time of surgery
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
              Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
              Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
              tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
              http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you all for the response. It is hard to think of having surgery when one is feeling pretty good. My husband, who is a physician, will be watching at the hospital to try to make sure I get the correct medications. I hope to come home as soon as possible.

Gretchen

Comment

Surgery

Hi Gretchen,

I am right there with you. I am 4 1/2 wks from surgery and having the same feelings. I loved what Tamena wrote and she is just one of many loving and supportive scolis on here. I am being fused to the sacrum and, like you, wonder if I will have more pain. You need to go to the thread that is posted of all the successful surgeries. I think our moderator, Linda Racine, started it. I think the most important thing is to keep positive and try to keep motivated to do all you can to walk and regain your strength after surgery. These are all things I am telling myself to do and hope I can follow through. Welcome to the forumm and keep us posted. It is so encouraging to have others who are going though similar experiences and understand your concerns and your pain.

Blessings and hugs,
                  Patty
                  1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                  1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                  Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                  December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Working...
                  X