Surgery just 9 days....very nervous....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jersey,
    Honestly, it sounds like you may have the same heart condition that I have. They thought it was anxiety or panic and treated me like I was nuts in the ER. Finally, my doc sent me to a cardiologist after running some tests of his own. I have IST (innapropriate sinus tachycardis) which is in a class of SVT's. It goes undiagnosed in a lot of people. The primary symptoms are a resting HR of 90+ bpm and tachycardia like you describe with minimal exertion. Sometimes I would just be standing in the kitchen trying to cook dinner and I would be so weak that I just had to sit on the floor. Then my pulse was always over 140. I've had over 200 once. That was scary.

About the blood in your hospital. If it primarily a "no blood" hospital, I would not panic. They are finding that the less blood transfused, the quicker people recover. They recycle your blood as you lose it and they can give you epogen before your surgery. It causes your blood to regenerate exponentially faster than normal. My soon-to-be daughter-in-law had a 13 level fusion with no blood at all. They were able to do a 6 way heart bypass on my step-dad with no blood, also. The most important thing is to keep your volume up and they do that with volume expanders. They actually have a few bloodless hospitals scattered throughout the US. There were no religious indications in these people, either, just so you know. Please try not to worry. I know it's hard and I can't speak from your shoes since I haven't had surgery, yet. I haven't followed your threads so I don't know how extensive your revision is. But these guys know what they are doing. I'm sure they aren't going to let you bleed to death.

Take Care.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by jerseyot View Post
      YES!! DEFINITELY, they do recycle the blood I will lose and pump it right back into me. That's standard practice for them. I just pray that hose donor forms come in today's mail otherwise no one can donate for me. My most recent surgery on Jan30th was a long one and when all was sad and done I lost 1/2 my blood volume, having a hematocrit of 6.6 - I gave two pints...the re-infused the blood that I lost, and gave me 1 pint of my own blood. The they argued, ORTHO vs. INTERNAL MED about whether or not I needed the 2nd pint of autologous blood - while they fought over it, it expired and I ended up getting nothing but the re-infused blood from my surgery and one meager little pint of blood. My hematocrit after all that only rose to 7.0 and it took me 4-5 months to make up for the blood lost in surgery - I was short of breath, had no endurance for anything, couldn't do a flight of stairs without feeling like I was going to literally have a heart attack because my heart was pounding so hard you could see it, etc. I made my orthopedic surgeon promise me that if I donate 2-3 pints of blood,I want 2-3pints put back into me--no disagreements about 'does she need it, or 'doesn't she need it' - if I donated it, I want to make it crystal clear that I expect to get it back. I can't believe it - just 8 more days - a week from tomorrow - and unfortunately anther blood donation tomorrow
      You must mean Hemaglobin, not hematocrit because a hematocrit of 6.6 is not compatible with life. Hematocrit is approximately three times the hemaglobin. 7.0 hemaglobin X 3 = a hematocrit of 21 which is very low but survivable. Are they giving you iron tablets to help with your red cell production? Try not to worry too much. You have a lot of people praying for you.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Rohrer: thanks so much for mentioning that heart condition as a possibility - not that I want t have a heart condition but its definitely something I want to mention to my surgeon!

Golf Nut:thanks also for explaining...I did mean just what you said - got them mixed up! Duh!
        1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
        Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
        Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
        Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
        http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
        www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

Michele,
          I know it is hard not to be nervous. Since you had to wait even longer due to the storm, it is really hard on the mind. Plus the storm and it's problems! I know I have told you that i also fractured right after the 1st surgery--but the one to fix the fracture was easier on me than the 1st one. I pray yours will be like that also. I do recall being very nervous going into theat second surgery--I think it was because I knew what was going to happen,but it was easier. They only needed the 2 units of blood that I had donated--unlike 1st surgry--needed much more than I could donate. On both the cell saver was used to recycle the blood. Very interesting ,but it remained hooked in for several days after the 1st one, but not the repair one. I remember the nurses in the ICU not being real used to that machine.
          It is almost here, and all of us are pulling for you. My prayers go with you
          Jackie
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Michelle,

I tend to be overly cautious, but if it were me or my family member, I would call the surgeon right away and let him know about these symptoms, in case he wants to run any tests before he surgery. The last thing you need is to get rescheduled again last minute. That said, I did tell Dr. Lenke about my slight arrhythmia prior to my surgery, and he told me that those typically do not cause problems with the surgery.

On another note, when I was taking Valium, sometimes I would get a racing heart when it wore off, maybe 6-8 hours after I took it. It was like a panic attack, but when I wasn't feeling particularly nervous about anything.

Hang in there. It's not much longer.

Best,
            Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Evelyn, you may be onto something with the Valium things. I take one 5mg tablet almost every day and your theory lines up with when these "episodes" tend to occur - they're definitely NOT panic atta attacks though. I cannot believe surgery is almost here....just 5 more days to go....and did I mention my husband training for his new job is next week?? The week of my surgery? He won't even be here for it
              1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
              Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
              Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
              Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
              http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
              http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
              http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
              www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

Jersey,
                These also sound like symptoms of anemia. Shortness of breath with exertion, tachycardia...although surely you have been checked for this prior to surgery. I agree with Evelyn, definitely cause for a call to your surgeon.
                May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Has anyone talked to Michele? I hope she's doing well.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I am also concerned,but have not heard anything. I hope all is well.
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                    Osteotomy

Comment

Michelle

I think about Jerseyot so much and wonder also how she is doing. She had a pretty big surgery and am sure she does not feel much like posting. Lets keep her in our prayers and hopefully we will hear from her soon. I check her blog but haven't seen an update.
                      1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                      1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                      Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                      December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Working...
                      X