Surgery is over!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery is over!!

Finally...our surgery is over!! I'm writing from the hospital. Keri is sleeping right now. Everything went very well. The surgery lasted only about 3 and a half hours. I was really surprised. She has a catheter, and a drain tube from the incision. She has not had to have any blood at all yet. It looks like she may not have to. She's also got the morphine pump that she controls for her pain. She hasn't really complained much about hurting. They got her up and sat her in a chair this afternoon, and she sat for about a half an hour. That was pretty rough on her. She has a hard time rolling over, and that is the only time she really complains that she is in pain. Tomorrow they are going to take the catheter out and the drain tube. They will remove all the bandages and packing tomorrow too. The most amazing thing to me right now is that we can't see the hump anymore!! We couldn't be happier about how things are going. I will keep everyone posted still on her progress. I have been staying right here at the hospital with her.
    Talk to everyone soon.

Kim

Congragulations!
    ~*Lauren*~
    Braced for 5 months
    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
    Surgery on April 26th 2005
    Fused from T3-L4
    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

hi kim
      Yeah! What a relief for it to be over. I'm sure you are feeling much relieved. The worst is over. It sounds like she is doing so great, sitting up for a 1/2 hour already! Wow, that is great. I would cringe when the physical therapy people would come and make nicole sit up or walk, she didn't handle that very well. I would have to leave the room. Rolling is tough on them, but i noticed that nicole would hate when they rolled her, but then after a few days i noticed that if she was sleeping and would wake up she would want to be turned over and i would have to call the nurse in to turn her. That is great that it only took 3 1/2 hours and she didn't need any blood. Keep us posted on her recovery. The computer in our hospital room kept me busy while she slept.
      jennifer

Comment

it was a relief for me to when my surgery was over to exept the fact i had 2 stay in bed for 12 days flat difficultys in 1st but im glad it is over though

kayley
        suergey 11-14-04 and 23
        77degreecurve top 55 on bottom
        Last edited by had2maby3; 01-26-2005, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Fabulous news Kim!! Good luck with everything the next couple of days and keep us posted. Take care. ~Laura
          30y/o
          Upper curve around 55
          Lower curve around 35

Comment

Kim: Sounds like everything went well! I hope that continues and Keri continues to heal as quickly as she is now. The worst is over! AC went in yesterday for her 1st blood draw and they discovered she has an irregular heartbeat. It seems I remember her primary doctor mentioning that, but now her surgeon's office is requesting a full work-up to make sure there are no problems with that! We go in Friday to see her primary doctor and probably blood work and EKG. Great huh?
            Melinda

Comment

Kim

Congratulations! You've made it through the toughest part as a parent. I'm glad Keri isn't having too much pain. You may want to start getting involved in rolling her as I know I had to help Jamie roll for a few days after we got home from the hospital.

I'm so surprised they are removing the bandages/packing already. Isn't it great to see major improvement in their appearance right away?

Glad to hear all went well.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hello everyone. Just thought i'd let everyone know how Keri is doing today. Her bandages, and drain tube came out of her back first thing this morning and they removed the catheter later in the day. They also took her morphine pump away from her this afternoon, and now she's getting Vicoden by mouth.
                She has been up walking quite a few times today. Everytime she gets up, she walks a little farther and it's a little easier on her. She has started rolling herself now. I just have to rearrange her pillows behind her back for her. She grabs the side rail and pulls herself over. She looks really good. Still no transfusion needed.
                I'll continue to keep everyone updated.

Kim

Comment

hi kim
                  that is amazing how quickly her recovery is going. My nicole had her catheter and drain in for approximately 5 days i think and was on morphine for 5 days. She sounds like she is doing amazing and will be home before you know it.
                  keep us posted on her recovery
                  jennifer

Comment

Tell Keri we all said keep up the good work! How are you doing Kim?

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                    X