Surgery Scheduled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Scheduled

Well, surgery is scheduled for Nov 15th. I was knocked off balance with a roller coaster of emotions. Not to mention so much physical work and so many labs done here to save trips back up there (live in FL). But, were in the home stretch now. Did anyone else have dreams about surgery in the weeks prior to? I have had so many dreams. Guess it's stress. Got to admit, I wish my Mom was still here. Been married to the most wonderful man for 30 yrs, but still wish she was here for this one. Anyway, looks like were gonna use a 3 rod system since curves are so big & too many that he said 2 rods would likely break. Curves 57 T, 69 L & 87 Kyphosis with area that did not fuse last time, compression fractures, and a whole lots of words I don't know. If it were not for each of you sharing so much information I would be feeling completely lost right about now. But I do trust Dr Hey & Staff. They have been great with all my silly calls each week when I get concerned. Many Thanks to all of You! Will try to give you a more detailed report a couple weeks after I get home. I am so amazed by those of you that have been able to post right away. You are amazing!! I am a little slower, but my husband had a stroke, can't speak & requires some help from me plus his mother (84) lives with us and she also requires a little help from me. Hugs to all.
    scoli appeared age 15
    untreated until age 30
    41* T & 72* L
    Harrington Rod T4 to L4
    33* T & 53* L
    neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
    Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

I am glad that your got your surgery scheduled. The waiting is the worst.

You will do great with Dr Hey
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by taylor View Post
      Well, surgery is scheduled for Nov 15th. I was knocked off balance with a roller coaster of emotions. Not to mention so much physical work and so many labs done here to save trips back up there (live in FL). But, were in the home stretch now. Did anyone else have dreams about surgery in the weeks prior to? I have had so many dreams. Guess it's stress. Got to admit, I wish my Mom was still here. Been married to the most wonderful man for 30 yrs, but still wish she was here for this one. Anyway, looks like were gonna use a 3 rod system since curves are so big & too many that he said 2 rods would likely break. Curves 57 T, 69 L & 87 Kyphosis with area that did not fuse last time, compression fractures, and a whole lots of words I don't know. If it were not for each of you sharing so much information I would be feeling completely lost right about now. But I do trust Dr Hey & Staff. They have been great with all my silly calls each week when I get concerned. Many Thanks to all of You! Will try to give you a more detailed report a couple weeks after I get home. I am so amazed by those of you that have been able to post right away. You are amazing!! I am a little slower, but my husband had a stroke, can't speak & requires some help from me plus his mother (84) lives with us and she also requires a little help from me. Hugs to all.
      Congrats taylor and best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery. I hope there are other family members who can help with your husband and his mother for a few months and some who will give you a hand as well, at least for a little while. We look forward to hearing your progress.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Taylor

For those that need surgery, surgical candidates that know it has to happen at some point, we dream. There is no getting around that one, that’s for sure. We all wonder about our future....all of us.

Dream pleasant thoughts, wonder what it will be like without pain. “Hmmm....it CAN be a reality”. Smile when you do this, that’s the important part. Every time you smile from now on, means that things will be ok.

I know its hard, but try not to worry about other things.....we all worry about other things in our lives, and really don’t help when we have to be focused on our own recoveries. Others in your “inner circle” need to be aware of this, they need training. Make them aware of what major surgery entails, it’s a long recovery and you deserve to be pain free.

Its your turn. Reach out to your local church for help, they will come.

Try not to worry, these things always work themselves out. Have strong faith.

We are following, be sure to inform us how things go.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. I remember having lots of dreams prior to surgery. I guess it's because it was on my mind constantly during the day. We'll be looking for your posts following your surgery.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I WILL KEEP YOU IN MY PRAYERS, i HOPE ALL GOES GREAT! tO ME IT SEEMED AS IF REVISION WAS EASIER THAN THE FIST SURGERY. i HOPE YOURS WILL BE ALSO.
            ED THOSE ARE REAL NICE THINGS TO SAY. THANK YOU FOR THOSE WORDS TO HELP US ALL AT TIMES!
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

Nov 15

Hi Taylor,

I hear Dr. Hey is a great surgeon and a strong christian...you are in good hands. I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I hope you have a strong support system. You will be in my prayers Nov 15.

Patty
              1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
              1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
              Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
              December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Working...
              X