Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I hurry to get out of the hospital ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I hurry to get out of the hospital ?

My surgery will be on Nov 27th at Barnes Jewish Hospital. I have read from here as well as other blogs that one should leave the hospital as soon as possible. Apparently, both the doctors and/or insurances encourage less hospital for various reasons. #1 - avoid getting a disease or infection from other patients. #2 - insurances wants to save money.

I did not stay overnight at neither of my daughter's birth. I was fine and went home. However, looking back, it was a bit exhausting.

With the Spinal surgery, I want to make sure that I can have all the physical and occupational therapy I need to be independent and not hurry it until I am comfortable doing the functions with adequate help.

During my consultation with another great surgeon in San Diego, I was told that 7-10 days at the hospital then 1-3 weeks at a rehab center. So imagine my surprise when Dr Bridwell's staff said much less and rarely need rehab.

Any opinion and experience, advise?

My husband is renting an apt at the Metro Loft across the street for 3 weeks. He can work and I can have more space to wander in the middle of the night. If necessary, I could walk the hallways via elevators and work as security.

Thanks,

Gardenia
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Gardenia,
    Stop worrying young lady. Your Doctor will let you know when it is time for you to leave the hospital. If you are worried about germs, make sure your nurses and aides wash or sanitize their hands before they touch you. Barnes Jewish Hospital in an excellent hospital where my brother's life was saved many years ago after a heart attack and he was there many days. You are in good hands; excellent Doctor and excellent Hospital. I will pray for you to have peace about this surgery.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Gardenia,
      I had surgery with Dr. Lenke July 23, 2012 and stayed in Barnes Jewish Hospital for one week after surgery and then in the adjoining hotel for 4 more days and then flew home to South Carolina. My experience was a good one. I used to be a nurse and had some concerns about infection but all went very well. No, I do not think you should be in a hurry to get out of the hospital. I will be 67 next week and was in good physical condition before surgery (had been doing strength training for 3 1/2 years prior to surgery) but I felt I did need a full week in the hospital.
      Jane

Comment

Gardenia,

I really don't think this decision will be up to you. Dr. Lenke or Bridwell will tell you when it's time for you to go. Seems like most of their fusion patients on this forum stay one week and few go to rehab. The PT and OT at the hospital will be working with you beginning the day after surgery.

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I don't know about Barnes, but it's fairly rare that a patient wants to get out of the hospital before the insurance company wants the patient ousted. I would never recommend that you go against your doctor's advice, but getting out of the hospital as soon as possible is a good thing. No question that it reduces your chances of infection.
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

thank you

I thought I was totally immune to being worried about this surgery because I trust Dr Bridwell and I am most likely getting preocupied with things that under normal circumstances would not worry me. It is like I am out there looking to find things that might go wrong.

Thank you to all. I promise not to worry and let others do their jobs. It is my turn to depend and let the family take charge without micromanaging.

Gardenia
            Gardenia
            Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
            pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
            Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
            T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              I don't know about Barnes, but it's fairly rare that a patient wants to get out of the hospital before the insurance company wants the patient ousted. I would never recommend that you go against your doctor's advice, but getting out of the hospital as soon as possible is a good thing. No question that it reduces your chances of infection.
              Is there a chance of getting infection at home? What should patients do to minimize a chance of infection at home other than keeping the scar clean? Do you need a separate bed? Should sheets be changed every day?
              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

There is a greater chance of getting an infection when you hang around people that have infections!...like hospitals!
                Susan
                Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I agree with Linda and Susan that (so long as it is not against your doctors advice), getting out of the hospital as soon as you can safely do so is a good thing.

I recall a few years ago when my dad was admitted for a few days for some tests (he has several health issues), his doctor couldn't get him out fast enough as soon as the tests came back OK. He basically said he didn't want to risk an infection since my dad's health wasn't/isn't the greatest.

Gardenia - Best of luck to you next month. Sounds like you are in great hands and I'm sure you'll come out on the other side with flying colors!
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                    Is there a chance of getting infection at home? What should patients do to minimize a chance of infection at home other than keeping the scar clean? Do you need a separate bed? Should sheets be changed every day?
                    IRINA, There is always a chance of getting an infection at home, but the most concern re: wound infection is in the hospital, esp in the operating room when your back is open. Get instructions from your MD re: whatever she wants you to do about back care at home. Anyone that does any back care should wear gloves.

Don't let people visit that has a cold [upper respiratory infection] as your immunity will be down slightly from the stress of surgery and you don't need the bother of a cold.

I wouldn't worry about changing your sheets daily, but that might feel good since you might spend some time initially at least in bed.

I'm sure that Dr. Hu and UCSF have great going home/postop instructions for you and your husband.

Take care, sounds like you are in great hands,
                    BULA from Fiji, Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I have not had my surgery yet, but Dr. Glazer did mention about a 10 day stay in the hospital. I also questioned rehab, and he informed me that not everyone needs rehab.

Best of luck,

Libby

Comment

Hi Gardenia,
                        I'm excited for your surgery. I had surgery at Barnes Jewish w/ Dr Lenke in 2010. I was in the hospital for 5 nights, and stayed at the adjoining hotel for another 6 nights till I felt ready to fly back to Michigan. In most cases, I think they just discharge you as soon as you are able to meet a number of physical and OT criteria - walk to the bathroom, put on your socks, manage some stairs... I don't know if staying longer is even an option if they decide you are able to function outside the hospital. I think your set up of staying in an apartment is PERFECT!!! We needed those extra days, but it was really cramped and hard to manage meals in the hotel. You should be in a great situation - I wish we'd thought of that! I would encourage you that you are in good hands, and try not to worry (haha).
                        Good luck,
                        Nancy
                        Age 58
                        Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                        original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                        fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Originally posted by Irina View Post
                          Unless one gets diagnosed with an infection while in the hospital, it's impossible to know what is to blame. The biggest risk factors for infection include excessive blood loss, preop morbid obesity, compromised nutritional status, prior infection, and length of stay. You must remember, however, that even when everything is done perfectly, you might still end up with an infection. . Actually, I suspect that "keeping the scar clean" might actually be a risk factor. I think it's best to leave the incision alone as much as possible. I can't imagine that sleeping in a separate bad or changing the sheets every day would make much of a difference.

--Linda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                            Actually, I suspect that "keeping the scar clean" might actually be a risk factor. I think it's best to leave the incision alone as much as possible.

--Linda
                            That actually makes perfect sense to me (with any wound). Once it is bandaged, germs shouldn't be able to get in - or are at least 'less likely' to get in - if the dressing isn't being removed all the time.
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                            X