Radiation and Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiation and Surgery

Are there many x-rays required before surgery and post-op? Any MRIs or CT scans? I just wonder how much radiation scoliosis surgery patients are exposed to.

You should ask your surgeon as each requires different tests
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I was only required to have x-rays.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Carol...

It really depends on your surgeon. The standard of care for the industry seems to be s-rays pre-operatively, and post-operatively at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and yearly after that if there are any concerns. You may be asked to have bending xrays pre-operatively. Most of the top spine centers have low dose x-ray equipment. CT scans are often ordered pre-operatively, but are usually only ordered post-operatively if there is some concern. (I know of at least one surgeon, however, who asks all long fusion patients to have a postoperative CT scan.) Also, if you get enrolled in any special study, additional radiation may be part of the protocol. If you're approached about a study, and you have concern about radiation, you should carefully read the study consent. Lastly, you will likely get a significant amount of radiation during surgery, from fluoroscopy or O-arm or C-arm CT, used to confirm anatomy and screw placement.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X