No announcement yet.

This is my spine (xray)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks Ed...for taking the time...for your concern...

i have been able to go after...and succeed...with several goals
    in my life...but i have never had blinders on...do not think i would
    be good at that...but i understand your point...and the need to focus
    on the end result...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

wow jess that a really large curve
      Kara
      Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
      Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
      T4-L2
      Before 50T
      After 20T

Comment

Hi Jess,

I just wanted to pop in and lend my support. I can imagine what a tough decision you are facing. Surgery is a very big step - and I can totally understand your not 'pulling the trigger' on it up until now. I'd probably be the same way.

On the other hand, living in constant pain can't be any fun.

I, like Sparky, know you can handle whatever comes your way and that you'll be fine in the end if/when you decide to have surgery.

And yes, our dear mayor is a real piece of work. Sorry to hear he screwed up your insurance. (I'm surprised he had the time - I thought he was busy these days focusing on important issues like what size sodas we were allowed to drink!). He seems to have a knack for messing things up and absolutely NO CLUE what it's like to be a regular, working person in this city.

Stay strong - Sparky will be your rock!
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

thanks Maria...
          from one NYC girl to another....you're the best....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Jess,
            Ed, as always, gave some good solid advice. I know from reading many of your posts, that at one time you were physically active before being in so much pain. You have certainly researched this surgery and tried everything possible to reduce your pain. You have a long life ahead of you and deserve to live it with less pain. My two miniature schnauzers were a great comfort during my recoery, so I know Sparky will be there for you! I'll be anxious to hear what Dr. Lonner says at your appointment.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

thanks for the concern, Karen...
              Lonner has been recommending surgery to me
              since 2007...i expect he will do the same on Oct 25th...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                That is a reference to the title of an excellent PBS series of the same name on the African American Civil Rights movement in the US. I see from the wiki page that the title came from a song, "Keep your eyes on the prize...
                Thanks for pointing this out, I didn’t know about the song....I ordered the program.

I would say that the lyrics could apply for many in pain, many that are holding on through our “dark” chapters.

I agree on "African” evolution and am personally interested in human migrations through history....

I can blame that on the multiple field trips to the Museum of Natural history in New York back in the early 60’s. When you are the grand old age of 6, and you look up and ask “what is that?” the teacher says “son, that’s a brontosauraus rex”.

It was the first time I saw spinal hardware....(smiley face)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America...atural_History

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

LOL on the hardware on the fossils... I took my girls to that museum this last summer... I go home to Queens at least once a year.

Jess, sorry to derail your thread. I hope others reply.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Jess,
                    I have been busy with house guests for a few days and haven't been on the computer. Just looking at your x-rays makes me feel your pain. I guess for me, the pain was too overwhelming and I just wanted a chance to get back to the activities that I love. Thinking about being in a wheelchair for the rest of my life just wasn't an option. Shots didn't help me after about the first year and I had tried everything else that was recommended to me (PT, water therapy and chiropractic), so with my mindset, surgery was the only option left. Also my blood pressure and cholesterol were going up for lack of exercise and my bones were thinning. A lot of reasons to jump right in. As you know, I still have pain, but nothing that stops me from my life.

Ed, have you ever thought about writing a book? You are so good with words painting a picture and entertaining with your humor. I want the first signed copy. he he!
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

kept asking myself why i was going to see Lonner this week, on Oct 25th...
                      i expect the same...but worse...he has recommended i have surgery since 2007...so he would still recommend that, since my lower curve has increased since i saw him 2 years ago...
                      i am not ready to do anything right now...
                      i cancelled the appointment...tried to reschedule it for spring, but they said just to call back a month or 2 before i want to come in....
                      i saw no point in going in if i am not ready to schedule surgery...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

That makes sense Jess. Sometimes you have to look at things that way (logically). Since you are, understandably, not ready to do anything right now, what would the visit accomplish? You are a wise woman (which I already knew, so did Sparky).

Hang in there. You will know when the time is right to take action. These things have a way of working out the way they are supposed to.
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

thanks for the kind support, Maria...
                          you are the best...always...
                          i am not usually such a logical thinker...but this just
                          made sense to me...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Jess

You will know when you are ready....When I went in in October of 2007, I knew. I couldn’t take it anymore. When the pain is really bad, you cant get in fast enough.

28 inches at Sugar Bowl ski area and more coming. Ye-ha.

We are getting stoked out here! (participating in ritualistic terpsichorean Octoberfest type activities while listening to oom-pah music) This is ok before and after surgery. (smiley face)

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

hey Ed
                              the pain is bad, particularly without the steroid shots in SI joints...those
                              helped for almost 3 months at a time...
                              but i think i have a high tolerance for pain, practiced during worst part
                              of Lyme Disease...so i am not sure what it will take...

i saw reports of snow out in the far reaches
                              (anything beyond New Jersey to a born New Yorker)
                              and thought of you...
                              i said a little prayer that you can keep the white stuff out there in your neck of the woods...
                              have fun...be careful...and enjoy it!

jess...& Sparky

Comment

Jess,
                                You will definitely will know when you can't take it anymore. I have only one suggestion for you. Don't ever bend and twist at the same time. That is what I did one morning getting breakfast plates out of the oven. I got a shocking pain that was way worse than a 10 on the pain scale. I go in for another SI joint shot tomorrow. I got two weeks relief out of the first one, so am hoping for a longer duration this time.
                                Take care, Sally
                                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                                X