sagital imbalance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dolores a View Post
    So I guess my question is, could my changing posture have anything to do with sagittal imbalance?
    I believe so. I have had the “forward lean” in the past, but not due to spinal reconstruction or a spinal problem. It seems to be a soft tissue issue....Changing posture due to soft tissues. Why this happens once in a blue moon, I don’t know. There are many reasons, and hard to pinpoint.

Physical therapy for me was a positive experience. Exercise itself is a positive experience, and it doesn’t have to be too much.

I would say that walking the catwalk just like the models do is a good thing. Head up, spine straight with no leaning. Balance that book up there and don’t let it fall. I also do this when I hike with a sort of mental balance monitor running in the background if you know what I mean...

Dolores, be sure to let us know how it goes.

Jackie,
    Falling like you have been is not normal. I agree with Jess and Jen about seeing your scoliosis surgeon. Let him come to a conclusion. Tell him everything.

Did you have a 1 year follow up with him? He should have shot x-rays....if not, then go.

You could extend your medical coverage with a COBRA continuation...

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Unfortunately, it happens WAY more than once in a blue moon, at least in us "older" patients.
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks to eveyone who has been so helpful.I have made an appointment to see Dr next week. It will also be the time Pt is through.They have checked everything they can think of---eyes,ears,weak muscles,and I passed all of it.The one Pt thinks it may be in the S-1 joint as my right leg is shorter after I sit. The legs measure the same,but the rt hip is hiking up. No real pain there or maybe no feeling?I had seen Dr after first 2 falls and he repeated the xrays--said everything looked OK. I think he needs to check the balance as I feel so off at times. Maybe i am just trusting the hard ware and not working on small muscle groups.I will bring all of this to him when I see him next week. I knew that the fellow scoliosis patients would understand,even more than the PT. Where I go they have not had a lot of experience with such long fusions and it is hard to tell someone what it takes if they donot understand the impact of the whole spine being fused. I think mine matches yours Ed, I just don't know if You are fused in the cervical also. My c has 3 levels fused. As far as the insurace I will not be able to get cobra as I opted for an extention on my group insurace that would carry me to Feb. Then I should go on medicare early ,however there could be a problem with that. Very Complicated to explain. Thanks to all. You are my life savers!
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

How long has it been since your fusion surgery, Jackie?
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Went to my appointment with pt yesterday for consult and some therapy that was so wonderful! As to the consult, as Linda explained therapy is definately what I will need. When I asked him about sagittal imbalance he explained in simple terms it is exactly what I am experiencing. He just had to look at my posture to see this is what I have, just as Linda explained, but in terms that I understood. My neck is not aligned with shoulders, that it will take therapy and my own conscious effort to try to correct this along with alleviating some of the pain. He asked why my surgeon did not give me a prescription for therapy just due to the nature of this surgery and how I would be overcompensating this area due to the fact that I have no movement below where my fusion is. The therapist gave me an exercise to do at home for the time being, while lying on my back, I need to push my neck and chin into the mattress for about 20 repetitions twice daily. What he did in the office was sort of hands on traction, but prior to that, heat was applied and something like a tens machine, but more soothing. He was amazed at how big and how many knots were throughout my wholly cervicle area. I will follow through with this therapy and my at home exercises to see if I can get rid of this painful tension I experience every day!! I will let everyone who also expiences this also how it goes

Susan g I sent you a private message pm me back and I will give you the thepists number and address
            Dolores A
            June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
            June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
            Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
            NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Hi Jackie, I have fallen a few times, also others on this forum have mentioned falls also, my theory is, in my case, is when people who are not fused, when they loose balance due to whatever, can correct themselves so the don't go down, when you are fused, especicially with a long fusion, you cannot correct yourself and down you go, timber! Also our gaits are a bit off and probalbly through therapy and being conscious of this will help. Hope all goes well with your appointment.
              Dolores A
              June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
              June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
              Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
              NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

Thanks for letting us know Dolores. I hope the therapy goes well for you and I will be following your progress with interest. Best of luck!

Comment

Hi Jennifer,
                  My surgeries took place at different times. 12/08 I was fused t10=pelvis, on the 6th day after surgery,while in rehab, I fractured through t-9--I just reached for a tissue. It was real hard after that. However,while I never quit complaining of that area, the fracture was not found for awhile. Then the upper spine went real rapid into a severe kyphosis,curve increased by 20 degrees in 1 year. I tne meantime I had A c5-6-7 fusion,9/10. In Feb of 11 ,I had the fusion extended to t-2. My xrays look alot like Ed's,but at the area around t-10 is where the 2 rods join. The Dr did not take out lower rods--just hooked to them. That area has a wider band of metal around it joining the 2 together.I do get real sore there alot.Also I am 5' and just over 100 lbs. So I can feel these alot.They have no place to hide!The same team of surgeons did all of the surgeries. I just found out that one of them is the current president of the SRS. He is a wonderful man and surgeon.
                  I agree that we all have to fight for balance and can lose our balance easier. I should agree,as I fell again today in the yard. I was trying to kneel down to cut a shrub at the base and bumped another and down I went. This time I cut my arm and bruised my knee. After this fall,I really feel off balance. it hurts a bit more this time. I will tell pt again and I do see Dr next week
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                    Hi Jennifer,
                    My surgeries took place at different times. 12/08 I was fused t10=pelvis, on the 6th day after surgery,while in rehab, I fractured through t-9--I just reached for a tissue. It was real hard after that. However,while I never quit complaining of that area, the fracture was not found for awhile. Then the upper spine went real rapid into a severe kyphosis,curve increased by 20 degrees in 1 year. I tne meantime I had A c5-6-7 fusion,9/10. In Feb of 11 ,I had the fusion extended to t-2. My xrays look alot like Ed's,but at the area around t-10 is where the 2 rods join. The Dr did not take out lower rods--just hooked to them. That area has a wider band of metal around it joining the 2 together.I do get real sore there alot.Also I am 5' and just over 100 lbs. So I can feel these alot.They have no place to hide!The same team of surgeons did all of the surgeries. I just found out that one of them is the current president of the SRS. He is a wonderful man and surgeon.
                    I agree that we all have to fight for balance and can lose our balance easier. I should agree,as I fell again today in the yard. I was trying to kneel down to cut a shrub at the base and bumped another and down I went. This time I cut my arm and bruised my knee. After this fall,I really feel off balance. it hurts a bit more this time. I will tell pt again and I do see Dr next week
                    Hi Jackie, thanks for refreshing my memory. You've been through the mill over these last few years. I agree, being small, you would feel the area around the hardware much more than someone with more meat on their bones! I'm sorry to hear about this most recent fall. Good luck with your appt next week and I hope you can get the ball rolling on getting your pain dealt with.

Comment

Jackie

Your fracture at T9 sounds quite a bit like Michele’s situation in NJ. She is going in soon for a revision. Its also amazing that your PJK progressed 20 degrees in a year..... Did you have any kyphosis or lordosis abnormalities before your initial surgery?

I’m up to T2, and my neck has not been touched. My C5-6 is a little roasted, but I’m hanging in there....

Try to take it easy on the landscaping....it seems that we all end up in the garden at some point pulling weeds with our million dollar spines. (smiley face)

Are you falling because of balance? or weak muscles? Is your right leg just giving out? It probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to get some walking sticks, or ski poles to walk around with.

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Love it, Ed. If only we could all just have taken the money for our surgeries and used it to employ gardeners, housekeepers, childcare, etc., maybe we wouldn't need these million dollar spines! (Smiley.) Just daydreaming.
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

yes this fracture sounds like the same thing that happened to Michele. I was explained that the spine was under too much pressure. I know the Dr's felt that I would need only the t10-pelvis,so I think that the upper spine must not have been in a severe kyphosis at that time. The fracture occured on the 6th day out from surgery--so I was not doing too much to have caused it. I knew something snapped. Heard it --really felt it,but I had a very hard time convicing the staff and then later one of the Dr.At a year out it was easy to see something was on the move,but the increase of 20 degrees the following year could not be denied. A Ct scan found the fracture through t9 pedicle. Yes it did hurt.
                          Now the falling,so far Pt has ruled out major muscle weekness,inner ear and eye problems. Pt thinks the right leg being shorter{or the problem causing rt leg to be shorted} has something to do with it. As well as the s-1 joint. It will be interesting to se Dr and see what he thinks. What ever is with rt leg is causing my rt hip to hike up--maybe why I will not sit for long.
                          If I ever can find out how to post xrays I will. Like a lot of us I have copies of my million dollar spine also! I wonder if there is a little imbalance as my rods are joined at t9,10. It isn't one compleate long rod,but overlapped and joined there. I need to find the answer because so far I haven't been too hurt by falling,but we all know that can happen.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Osteotomy

Comment

Hi again,
                            I did get into the Dr. He took another set of scoliosis xrays. He does think everything is alright with the fusion. And that is very good news. And he and I went over the fact that my right leg is shorter when I sit. It is the same length,but becomes shorter when I sit. The Dr said that is being caused by the scoliosis.And here I thought I was cured!
                            The final thing we are trying for the balance issue is to reduce the gabapentin. I still need it to control an nerve in my thorasic. If that nerve isn't hurting it is itching! Oh so much fun!I will see him in Dec,if there isn't any improvment then I will see a nuroligist.

Dr Steven Mather and Dr Kamal Ibrahim
                            t 10 -pelvis 12/3/2008
                            c5,6,7 9/28/2010
                            t2-t10 2/23/2011
                            Last edited by jackieg412; 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM. Reason: adding info
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Osteotomy

Comment

I did see my doctor and he took more xrays. The Dr thinks everything is as it should be. Nothing appears to have moved and I know that is good news. I still feel so off of balance or I feel like I am trying to adjust myself to stay in balance.We did reduce the gabapentin and I will see him in Dec. Maybe it is the meds!
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Osteotomy

Comment

Delores,
                                PT should help you, and for myself, I have to continually remind myself to stand up straight. Oh yeah, the belly thing. It seems to be a problem for many of us older ladies. I weigh about the same as you and am 5'5" tall now (used to be 5'9") and in the evening I look about six months pregnant. Ugh! Some women have liposuction, but one big surgery is enough for me. Haha! Good to hear from you BTW.
                                Sally
                                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                                X