Thread: Scar tissue sciatica

Scar tissue sciatica

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had scar tissue on or around the sciatic nerve causing sciatic pain? I know everyone has scar tissue after the surgery, but on the nerves is another issue altogether! I am 5-6 months post op and have been struggling (understatement) with crippling sciatic pain for 3 months apparently from scar tissue. It seems that I am pretty much alone with this particular condition as far as finding someone here that has experienced the same cause-scar tissue. There are several that have had sciatic pain but from scar tissue? If there is someone, was there any hope of the condition ever improving?

Thanks,
    Pam
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Hi Pam...

Although it's not common, I think I've seen it mentioned here in the forums previously. I've also seen it mentioned at work. What is Dr. Lenke recommending?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Scar Tissue

Hi Pam...Have been praying for you. Did you have this sciatica pain before surgery? Is Dr. Lenke saying this is the problem and what can be done? There has to be help for you. I know you probably cannot do water therapy now, but please ask Dr. Lenke about it. I know water can help a myriad of problems.
    Patty
    1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
    1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
    December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Pam,

I hope you get some answers here. Did Kelly say they think it's scar tissue?

Evelyn
    age 44
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Linda - Was there any resolution in these scar tissue cases that you've seen? If so, how was it addressed?
    I'm trying to get referred for adhesiolysis in Paducah, KY., while continuing with my physical therapy to try to loosen the adhesion.

Dr. Lenke's office has recommended injections, which haven't helped much, and also physical therapy.

Evelyn-the fluoroscopy revealed some scar tissue in the area causing the meds in the injections to be unable to reach the appropriate location.

Patty-I never had sciatic pain prior to surgery. I tried walking in the pool during the summer, but anything is difficult with this crippling pain. Thank you for the prayers.

Pam
    Last edited by TwinmomTN; 10-01-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    Pam, age 49
    T-3 to sacrum

Pam,
    What is adhesiolysis? Is that where they try to remove the adhesions? I have had PTs do that (pre-op) with some weird tool that felt like a rake on my back. I'm sure you will have to have something much more precise to avoid damage to the nerve. Has Dr. Lenke or Kelly mentioned anything about surgically removing it?

Evelyn
    age 44
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Pam...is this what you were referring to...?

Severing of adhesive band(s); done by laparoscopy or laparotomy.

i read on internet that it is used after adhesion due to
    "abdominal surgery..."

did you have any anterior approach used in your fusion surgery....?
    perhaps i am not reading the right info...

i hope you find an answer to take away the pain...

jess

Evelyn- if surgically removed scar tissue will just regrow often worse than what was originally there to begin with. So, what were they trying to accomplish using that tool on your back ?

Jess- yes, I believe that is the procedure I am referring to.
    Last edited by TwinmomTN; 10-02-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Pam, age 49
    T-3 to sacrum