Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hannah's surgery today with Dr Lenke !!! ALL DONE and she is WELL...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hannah that really amazing
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Hannah: Your back looks so awesome and straight! Get the constipation under control! The post that you made about being constipated was not there when I replied....the internet in Fiji must be slow to update.

Use suppositories [or an enema if needed, but the suppositories hopefully work] to relieve the stuff in there and add lots of liquid [water is great...fruit juices except natural apple juice which has pectin are usually good], stool softener [Colace is great...get the generic], Miralex [maybe spelled that wrong], fruit [except apples], fiber, etc to keep your bowels going. All of the wonderful pain killers that you need also slow down your intestines and make you constipated! Don't let yourself get really stopped up...prevention is best. And if you haven't pooped in a few days, try a suppositories, don't wait so long! Then continue with all of the strategies to prevent constipation. Iron suppliments also add to constipation if your doctor gave you any postop. Did your doctor give you postop instructions of what to do in case of constipation?

Hoping that you get this problem behind you [pun intended].

Again, hard to believe with the picture that you showed us that you had such a curve!

Take care of yourself! HUGS, Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Your doing so good.keep up the good work on your recovery.well done you!
        27 yr old Female.
        Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
        Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
        Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

I, too, felt like I wasn't ready to go home, but my husband said Dr. Lenke feels like we decrease our chances of infection by getting out of the hospital as soon as possible. I'm sure insurance companies are involved, as well. I think most of us have bloating after surgery but it will quickly improve. I had a rough time getting my bowels under control and can just make the same suggestions that others on the forum gave me at the time: magnesium citrate (I chugged this when I was really desparate), hot plum juice-sounds terrible but really not too bad, lots of fruit and fiber, Fiber One cereal, stool softeners .. . It still took me a long time to get it under control. My abdomen pain took my mind off of my back aches. I kept a chart of the times to take all of my meds so that I didn't miss a dose of anything for the first month. I think you're doing great. Remember, this is the worst time and for most of us and you will feel and better with time. Your back looks so nice and straight.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hannah,

Are you sure you're still 45 degrees? You look perfectly straight!!!

For me, when the constipation was the worst (early on), I had to take Senna (maximum dose is four a day, I believe), Colace AND Miralax. Make sure you go every day. If you miss a day, increase one of your digestion meds, prunes or something! You can end up in bad shape if you don't stay on top of it. As others said, jump start things with Mag Citrate. The constipation/gas will be painful for a while, but will go away when you're off the pain meds.

Sounds like you're doing awesome. Congrats!!

Evelyn
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Day 12 post-op?

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Welp having some major problems sleeping. I can only sleep on my back (which I NEVER did before surgery). I just can't get comfortable and annoying the heck out of the husband, since I'm up and down all night.

Anyone have similar sleeping issues? If so, do they go away? Or should I just get used to it...?

So far the scar looks fine, but where they inserted the drains near my back hips/butt area is sore to touch. No numbness anywhere. I have shoulder pain. And my lung is a bit sore at times.

Went on my first walk (down our block and back) with my mom yesterday and that was nice. Also took two trips up and down the basement stairs. Took two naps as well. That was a busy day. I am exhausted today. Pretty weak.

Had some constipation issues that had to be solved with magnesium citrate. Actually waiting for.my next round since its been a few days again. Darn pain pills. I have pain in t2 at the beginning of the fusion and also can feel the last fused vertebra l3 in bed.

I can't believe it's been almost two weeks. Crazy.

There's my update for now:-)

Hannah

Comment

Originally posted by HannahCP View Post
                Thank you everyone for your responses.

Welp having some major problems sleeping. I can only sleep on my back (which I NEVER did before surgery). I just can't get comfortable and annoying the heck out of the husband, since I'm up and down all night.

Anyone have similar sleeping issues? If so, do they go away? Or should I just get used to it...?

So far the scar looks fine, but where they inserted the drains near my back hips/butt area is sore to touch. No numbness anywhere. I have shoulder pain. And my lung is a bit sore at times.

Went on my first walk (down our block and back) with my mom yesterday and that was nice. Also took two trips up and down the basement stairs. Took two naps as well. That was a busy day. I am exhausted today. Pretty weak.

Had some constipation issues that had to be solved with magnesium citrate. Actually waiting for.my next round since its been a few days again. Darn pain pills. I have pain in t2 at the beginning of the fusion and also can feel the last fused vertebra l3 in bed.

I can't believe it's been almost two weeks. Crazy.

There's my update for now:-)

Hannah
                Almost 2 weeks is still very early and everything you speak of is normal. Your body's taken a beating and lots of healing needs to happen before the aches and pains go away.

Now that you're getting out and walking, I suspect things will improve more quickly. The walking will help you sleep, help with your appetite, help with the fusion that's taking place, and help (so they say!) with the constipation. If you're not sleeping at night, can you hold off on your second day sleep and see if that helps? I found the medication zonked me out, but many here find otherwise.

Stretch out those walks a little more each day, but don't overdo it. Listen to your body.

Keep up the good work!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Photo!

Got this in the mail today..Can't believe the difference!

http://s1257.beta.photobucket.com/us...f3b3.jpg.html?

Hannah

Comment

New photo comparison

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                    Hannah,

Are you sure you're still 45 degrees? You look perfectly straight!!!

For me, when the constipation was the worst (early on), I had to take Senna (maximum dose is four a day, I believe), Colace AND Miralax. Make sure you go every day. If you miss a day, increase one of your digestion meds, prunes or something! You can end up in bad shape if you don't stay on top of it. As others said, jump start things with Mag Citrate. The constipation/gas will be painful for a while, but will go away when you're off the pain meds.

Sounds like you're doing awesome. Congrats!!

Evelyn
                    Hi Evelyn,

My curve was a90degree kyphosis not scoliosis so that is the reason that my correction was to 45 degrees. My scoliosis was mild. In regards to the constipation I have chugged a bottle of magnesium citrate on two separate occasions and that has helped. I, also on senna and colace.

I had a great day two days ago and walked around the block with my mom and did a set of stairs as well as kept busy most of the day. Let me tell you, I totally overdid it and felt terrible ALL day yesterday.

Taking it very easy today. Have to learn to listen to my body.

Supposed to wean off of the OxyContin down to two pills a day instead of 4. Almost out of Percocet so the dr office called a rx of Vicodin. I feel like the Valium and flexerl (muscle relaxers) are doing more than the pain killers at this point. Just sore muscles.

Sleeping is annoying too I can't get comfortable. Feel so stiff and aches if I lay too long. Been up and down from bed to recliner and back. Argh!

Anyway I wanted to post what was sent to me yesterday.

http://s1257.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Cant believe the difference....

Hannah
                    Last edited by HannahCP; 10-11-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

You're amazing!!

Hannah you're doing great!! I just wanted to share my horrible bowel experience (smiley face) my body was not used to taking ANY drugs so I had sleepy bowels after surgery. I had sopositories(sp) numerous enemas, 3 doses of mineral oil, two doses of magnesium citrate, the list goes on.... I finally had to be given a pill for patients who have bowel surgery!!! What I'm getting at is I have found that I have to take miralax every morning, Collace, and walk to make sure I'm regular. I'm also taking iron, so that binds u as well.
                      As of now I'm off all pain meds, I also found the muscle relaxers to be more helpful to me over the pain killers. I was just taking pain killer At night to help me sleep but have stopped taking that. Since then I have found my sleep to be very interrupted but (for me) I'd rather stay off the narc. Since the surgery i have not slept in the same bed as my hubby. We would be divorced by now, lol. I got a hospital bed N have found that very helpful! He sleeps on he couch (just in case I need anything, he's really wonderful)
                      I have amazing days, like I could take on the world, and then I usually sleep or lounge the whole next day! My dr told me to remember that my body is healing the equivalent to 10 broken bones... And I have a shorter fusion than u. So take it easy, and enjoy the pampering. Your spine is BEAUTIFUL!!

Comment

Hannah,
                        You have to be thrilled with your new back. It looks beautiful. My main concerns after surgery were my bowels and stomach aches and difficulty in sleeping. Things got so much better for me once I could drop the heavy pain medication. It was hard for me to get the right combination of laxatives, stool softeners, high fiber food . . . I either took too much or not enough!
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hannah--
                          Your pictures look wonderful. Congrats! I hope your recovery is a smooth one. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Beautiful photos, Hannah! Congrats!!!

Evelyn
                            age 48
                            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Te but nomrnihanks!

Not sure what happened to the title! Hah! Must be the Meds...

Thanks for the great comments and support. ;-) so helpful'

Recovery from this is sure like a roller coaster....yesterday I hit the two weeks post-op and have had mostly good days...but today was not one of them. Started great, but then had my first "real" shower and it took every ounce of energy I had, and my husband helped as I sat of the shower seat. I did dry my own hair, so my shoulder blades ache. I am so fatigued from everything that it hurts even to be touched. I have an ice pack I'm using, drinking lots of cold water and just making sure to keep my core temp low as I have a low grade fever.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I need to take it day by day and realize that it's a long healing process. Hard to get use to, maybe today will bE a better day. May try a car ride but not too much,

Hannah
                              Last edited by HannahCP; 10-14-2012, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Showering can be very tiring .
                                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                                X