Inability to sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inability to sleep

Hey guys! I am three weeks out and am having trouble sleeping. I don't think it's the nerves of the surgery but the nconstant running thoughts of all I need to do before it. How did you battle the need for sleep and the ability to shut your brain off?

Tamena
    Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Tamena im so sorry you cant get to sleep. i had the same problem after my surgery. here a tip try pading down your bed
    Kara
    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
    T4-L2
    Before 50T
    After 20T

Comment

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
      Tamena im so sorry you cant get to sleep. i had the same problem after my surgery. here a tip try pading down your bed
      Thanks Kennedy, but I am three weeks from surgery date. But I have gotten memory foam for my bed to help after the fact.
      Tamena

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

May be try to take a bubble bath and read something before going to bed?
        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

I think just about everyone goes through this stage after a big surgery. It will definitely pass. As long as you can get at least a little bit of quality sleep, you'll probably be OK. Assuming you're not doing much of anything, my recommendation is to try not stressing about it.

I think nights are especially tough, because there's no one up who can help distract you, and there's not much on TV worthwhile. I know firsthand what it's like to not sleep for 3-4 days straight. I discovered that Comcast buys what seems like at least 25% of all nighttime commercials in my area. When I hear the jingle that they used during my early recovery period, my skin just crawls. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have to change channels or turn the TV off.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Inability to Sleep

I have trouble turning my brain off even on regular nights no less before something as serious as your upcoming surgery. How I handled it was I wrote all my thoughts and "to do" items on a pad before climbing into bed. Doing that helps to empty the brain and you don't feel that you have to remember it all in the morning because you've written it down. It will be there when you wake up. I also read my Bible and wrote down Bible verses that I memorized and recited to myself as I lay in bed. I can honestly say that I was blessed with quality sleep every night with the exception of maybe two or three nights total. I contribute my good sleep to the Lord and the verses I memorized. Look these up and see if they help you. If not, look for ones that apply to you, write them down and memorize them. Nothing compares to a peaceful spirit and these verses definitely kept me at peace. Psalm 4:8 - I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 46:1 - God is our refuge & strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 118:14 - The Lord is my stength & my song, He has become my salvation. Psalm 31:24 - Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord. Psalm 105:9 - Look to the Lord & His strength; seek His face always.

Peaceful sleeping and I'll be praying for your upcoming surgery.

Marjorie
            Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
            Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
            After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
            Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL
            Marjorie

Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
            Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
            After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
            Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL

Comment

Marjorie,

Thank you! I am going to give it a try. : ) And all prayers are welcomed.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Bath your sleep in Prayer

You have been given some good advice about not sleeping. I too write down list, but found I had a hundred list, so had to start putting the date on the list. Our Pastor preached a sermon one Sunday on sleep problems. To sum it up he said to "bath your dreams in Prayer." It changed my life. Scripture quoted quietly in the silence of your bedroom has a cleansing quality. It is hard though, when pain wakes you several times during the night. My Prayers are with you. Evon (Taylor, who is actually an amazon parrot)
                scoli appeared age 15
                untreated until age 30
                41* T & 72* L
                Harrington Rod T4 to L4
                33* T & 53* L
                neck instrumentation C3-4,C4-5,C6-7
                Revision coming up in Nov. 2012

Comment

My suggestions:

1) 1/2 Valium tablet, with an Advil, if allowed
                  2) A mindless but clever book. I'm doing "Saki" (H.H.Munro) stories now.
                  3) the Psalms are good, as is prayer, and thankfulness for God's goodness, and friends' support; but I think they are better in the morning, as they tend to wake you up.

One day at a time, and remember, you are one day closer to a resolution than you were last night.

Aunt M.

Comment

Working...
                  X