Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use an Ipad or Amazon Kindle HD in the Immediate Post Surgery Period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use an Ipad or Amazon Kindle HD in the Immediate Post Surgery Period?

Hi,
    I know I have seen people make posts from their IPad in the first three months after surgery? A Kindle Fire HD weighs less than an IPad (13 ounces), but how can you use it post surgery if you can't carry? I'm interested to know if others have made this work. Thanks.
    Lisa
    60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
    58 years old

I'm not recommending this, but I put a bed pillow on my stomach and then set it on the pillow.
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Your Ipad approach

Originally posted by TwinmomTN View Post
      I'm not recommending this, but I put a bed pillow on my stomach and then set it on the pillow.
      Why are you not recommending it? Because everyone is different or because you think it caused you some problems. Thanks. And if I do this it would be with an Amazon Kindle HD Fire, which is only 13 ounces, which I think is a lot less than the iPad. Thanks for your answer Pam.
      58 years old

Comment

iPad

I bought an iPad expressly for use after my surgery. I had no problems carrying it around. If you are just looking for a reader, get the Kindle. The iPad does so much more. A purchase that I am so glad I made even over a year post surgery.
        50 years old!!!!!
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
        Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
        Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
        Surgery 07/11/2011
        Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Lisa,

That position may not be the best for the head/neck but it didn't cause me any problems. It just worked for
          me for use in bed.
          Pam, age 49
          Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
          April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
          T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Sounds Good

Thanks Pam for clarifying.
            And Marina good to know you can carry it after and I was going to get a Kindle Fire HD, which is much lighter. I want to use it for more than reading.
            Lisa
            58 years old

Comment

more specifics

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
              I bought an iPad expressly for use after my surgery. I had no problems carrying it around. If you are just looking for a reader, get the Kindle. The iPad does so much more. A purchase that I am so glad I made even over a year post surgery.
              Hi Marina,
              So now I know you could carry it, but how did you use it? Put it on your body or a table?
              Thanks!
              Lisa
              58 years old

Comment

Lisa, the iPad is incredibly light. I had it on my lap mostly. Or propped up against a pillow on my lap. Months later I discovered the keyboard from Logitech and it's much better than before. Like a tiny laptop. I never had a problem moving it or getting it in a comfortable position.

I LOVE my iPad )))
                50 years old!!!!!
                Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
                Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
                Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
                Surgery 07/11/2011
                Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

During my recovery, I had time to watch a lot of Netflix movies on my Ipad and really enjoyed it.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glad to hear it can work

Thanks Golfnut and Marina. I sound like a commercial, but the Kindle Fire HD is same idea as the Ipad and even lighter. I was just concerned because I know you cannot carry anything, but good to know it is not a problem.
                    Lisa
                    58 years old

Comment

Originally posted by lisazena View Post
                      Thanks Golfnut and Marina. I sound like a commercial, but the Kindle Fire HD is same idea as the Ipad and even lighter. I was just concerned because I know you cannot carry anything, but good to know it is not a problem.
                      Lisa
                      Lisa,
                      I'm not sure why you think you can't carry things after surgery. You will have a lifting restriction of about 5-10 pounds for about 3 months but that will not limit you from carrying small items like what you are talking about.
                      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Originally posted by naptown78 View Post
                        Lisa,
                        I'm not sure why you think you can't carry things after surgery. You will have a lifting restriction of about 5-10 pounds for about 3 months but that will not limit you from carrying small items like what you are talking about.
                        Thanks--what not lifting means wasn't explained to me yet.
                        58 years old

Comment

Working...
                        X