My turn to Straighten up and Fly Right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone I am new to the forum

Does anyone know Dr Paul Glazer(BID hospital boston) and would you recommend him for surgery?

Comment

Hope everything went smoothly and you are resting comfortably.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Well wishes

Thinking of you Angie!!! Hope your getting some rest and are healing wonderfully!! The hard part is over!

Comment

After Angie's surgery.

This is Angie's husband with a progress report on Angie since her Surgery.

Everything went exceeding well during a difficult surgery which lasted all of ten hours. She spent the next 40 hours after surgery in the ICU. The first 16 hours still hooked up to a breathing tube (no talking, but communicating by hand signals). Angie stayed in bed the 1st day after surgery, she was feeling good on the meds, mostly intravenous Tylenol and occasionally an oral pain killer. No solid foods into the second day. Before noon on the second day Angie walked a few steps with a wheeled walker and sat in a straight-back chair for an hour. Around 3 pm, the second day after surgery, she moved out of the ICU and to the Orthopedic Ward. The nurses say should be here for about five days of watchful relaxing and exercises. So far so good.

Comment

Thank you so much Angie's husband! That's wonderful news. Ten hours! That's one huge surgery. She's doing remarkably well. May her recovery continue smoothly and uneventfully. Great to get that news!

Comment

Thank you for the update! Hang in there, Angie. We are all thinking about you.
              Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
              53*T 71*L
              Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
              Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Thanks for this info. It sounds like Angie is doing well at this early stage! Keeping her in thoughts and prayers as she goes into recovery phase. All the best. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

AngieM's 4th day after surgery.

Thank you for your kind replies. This is Angie's husband posting for her during her recovery from surgery, Sep. 24th. Angie started solid food today and had her longest walk (40 yards). She has been getting out of bed 2 or 3 time per day and is feeling better every day, even as they ease off the pain meds. Her back is looking great - she has grown 2 inches since Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by AngieM View Post
                    Thank you for your kind replies. This is Angie's husband posting for her during her recovery from surgery, Sep. 24th. Angie started solid food today and had her longest walk (40 yards). She has been getting out of bed 2 or 3 time per day and is feeling better every day, even as they ease off the pain meds. Her back is looking great - she has grown 2 inches since Monday.
                    Angie's doing so well - and easing off her pain meds so soon? <where's that bug-eyed smilie?>

How different she must look - straight and tall!

Keep up the good work, Angie!

Comment

Thank you for posting for Angie. It sounds like she is doing really well for her first few days. Tell her we are all rooting for a smooth recovery.
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Such great news--keep up the good work!
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

the long road home

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your well wishes and prayers that got me through my surgery. I am thrilled with the results. I'm 2 inches taller and straight way beyond anything I ever hoped for! My surgery was longer than expected and Dr. Lenke had to use long screws because of my osteoporotic bones.
                          Here's a quick summary of my post-op recovery . . .

Week 1 post-op,
                          I was discharged after 1 week in the hospital. The doctors and nurses all said everything was going great in all respects and I did not qualify for any further special care or rehab. They seemed to believe we can now make it on our own without their full time help and any more training sessions. We hoped they must know what they are doing, they'd been right on everything else so far. We moved back into the Drury Hotel where we initially planned to stay another 4 or 5 days, practicing what we'd learned, before the long drive back to Florida.

Week 3 post-op,
                          We ended up staying 2 weeks at the Drury hotel because I didn't feel like I could sit for long enough in the car to make any headway on our trip home. I also had very little energy and appetite, and started to have a shooting pain from my hip to my knee especially when sitting. The doctor prescribed a steroid which alleviated some of the pain and certainly got me feeling well enough to get on the road. We finally left St. Louis driving slow and easy, about 4 hours per day with stops and walking every hour. When I got tired, we just pulled into the nearest Hotel or Motel and spent the night.

Week 4 post-op,
                          We arrived home on Oct 16th. All I could say was "there's no place like home, there's no place like home", just like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ. Needless to say it was great to be home. I was doing well in all respects, and finally getting an appetite back, walking easier and starting to ease off all meds.

Week 6 post-op,
                          For the past 2 weeks, I've been walking regularly but have not wanted to be out of the house. I'm officially off all pain medication for a week now. The oxycodone did not suit me well because of the nausea and constipation and I was only taking 2.5mg every four hours since right after surgery. Boy, I'll tell you getting off that oxycodone was rough though, not because of the pain, but because of the withdrawal side effects (mostly headache and sweating during the night). I didn't feel good on oxycodone and I didn't feel good coming off of it. I've had very little pain since surgery but still have the mild shooting pain from my hip to my knee on my left side when sitting. The oxycodone never really helped with that pain anyway.
                          My daughter is visiting for a long weekend and she finally got me out and about, shopping for food and a bra that fits my new shape and out to my favorite restaurant. I'm curious to see how I'll feel after she leaves.

Love and hugs,
                          Angie

Surgery with Dr. Lenke on Sept. 24, 2012 – 74 years
                          Thoracic (66 degrees), Lumbar (66 Degrees),
                          Idiopathic Scoliosis, Kyphosis
                          Posterior Spinal Fusion T1/2 – Sacrum

Comment

Angie,
                            Thanks for your update. It sounds like you are doing really well for so early in your recovery. I can't imagine how you made it from St. Louis to Florida, even with stopping every 4 hours. I'm so thankful I had a 30 minute drive from Barnes to our house. Best of luck with your recovery.
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Update

Hi Angie,

I was so anxious to hear drom you. I was tickled pink to hear how good you are doing. I am also an oldster, being 61, and having surgery in St. Louis on Dec 11. My husband and I have been flying back and forth from Harrisburg, Pa. to St. Louis for all my visits...I can't imagine driving home to Florida after your surgery. Please keep me updated. I am also being fused to the sacrum and worried about the pain but was elated to see you went shopping 6 weeks out. How is your sitting 2 months after surgery? I wish I would be recovering in the warm weather in Florida. Take care and keep us posted.

Blessings,
                              Patty
                              1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                              1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                              Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                              December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Fusion

Angie,

How long was your fusion?

Patty
                                1963 Fusion T4-L2 for congenital scoliosis. It was a bone graft and not instrumentation
                                1989 to Present....Have had chronic pain. MRI's show severe neural foraminal stenosis L2-S1, rotational scoliosis lumbar spine over 40 degrees, compression of nerve roots L5-S1, Broad Based Herniations L4-L5, L5-S
                                Surgery scheduled with Dr. Bridwell on December 11, 2012
                                December 11, 2012 Had surgery with Dr. Bridwell. He fused L4-L5 with rods and screws.

Comment

Working...
                                X