My turn to Straighten up and Fly Right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AngieM View Post
    Thank you, Melissa, for your good wishes. I am one of the many that have been following you since you first started posting. This has been a really tough journey for you, but you have handled it with courage and resillence. Totally inspiring! Hoping for good outcomes for you going forward. Luv, Angie
    Thanks for your good wishes. I am really looking forward to my next surgery. I hope it will help with my neck pain. My husband will post here so you will know how I fare with the surgery.
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Angie

You did it! Your first thread. That’s the easy part. The posts are much harder to do. (smiley face)

You have had scoliosis for a long time...and with the math correct, you were diagnosed in 1951. Where was this? Did you see a scoli surgeon back then? and who was it and what did they say back then?

Ed
      Hi, Ed,
      Thank you for your many posts. It's so encouraging to think of you skiing (and painting your garage) with a fused back.

Your math is correct. As far as I can remember I saw a "back doctor," after my Mom discovered I had scoliosis. First she took me back to our family doctor, who I had been seeing weekly for hay fever shots and asked him why didn't he ever check my back? I guess he referred us to a "back doctor" who was knowledgable about scoliosis. He said that I was too old to brace and already past my growth spurt. ( I was very tall at a very young age, always the tallest in the class until high school.) Then he said my back wasn't bad enough for surgery; instead, he sent a woman to our home to teach me exercises, mostly isometric. (I didn't keep them up and I think she said I didn't have to?)

All the Best,
      Angie

Comment

Hi Angie,

The thing is, with a 30* T curve in your forties, the paradigm is that you would need never have to worry about progression to surgical range. But yet here you are. There are several others who are in your shoes on this forum. And now you have two major curves, not one. That said, it took you a long time to reach this point so that's a positive.

Good luck with the surgery.

Sharon
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
          Hi Angie,
          My initial consult with Dr. Lenke was the same as yours... I probably was in the waiting room with you! Welcome to the forum. Please keep us updated on your recovery. I am sure we will all be thinking about you. The wait has flown by for me until now and October 5th seems to be taking forever to get here. Take care and best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery!
          Heidi
          Thank You, Heidi,
          We probably were in the waiting room at the same time, because we remember being there a long time. I am hoping that my husband will post my progress after surgery. When you have your surgery, I should be in Rehab. The wait took a long time for me, until now when it feels like it's on top of me. I am working to get into shape, and I still have pre-surgery appointments to make, Forte to order, etc. Best wishes to you - a great surgery and easy recovery, Angie

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            Hi Angie,

The thing is, with a 30* T curve in your forties, the paradigm is that you would need never have to worry about progression to surgical range. But yet here you are. There are several others who are in your shoes on this forum. And now you have two major curves, not one. That said, it took you a long time to reach this point so that's a positive.

Good luck with the surgery.

Sharon
            Thank You, Sharon,
            You're exactly right. I should have known, but didn't, that curves progress over time. I also didn't know about compensatory curves. All that, plus my back never hurt, allowed me to not do anything about it or even check it for many years. I am grateful to all of you on the Forum for sharing your knowledge and experiences. Your posts are always on the mark and informative. All the Best, Angie

Comment

We're in St. Louis and Ready!

Hi, to everyone,

After a full schedule of doctor visits, blood tests, a Pulmonary Function Test, a Stress Test, a CAT Scan, Bone Density Tests, Teeth Cleaning, etc., we finally drove up to St. Louis for Friday's central line and check-up exam at Anesthesiology! Everyone that we met at the Hospital was extremely helpful and qualified. That gave us a lot of confidence going into this surgery.

A big "Thank You" to whoever suggested the Drury Inn and Suites. We love this place! As they say, this is "where the extras aren't extra!" - full hot breakfast in the morning, cocktails and hot food in the evening, indoor-outdoor pool, exercise room, etc. Don't forget to ask for the "hospital rate."

Al the Best, Angie
              Last edited by AngieM; 09-23-2012, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Angie,
                Wishing you a peaceful day. I will be thinking about you tomorrow and praying for your recovery.
                Best,
                Heidi
                Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                53*T 71*L
                Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Surgery Tomorrow!

Hi, Everyone,

Just to keep you updated - the day of surgery does finally roll around and for me it's tomorrow! And I am feeling pretty good about it all. After all it's time already - I'm 74!

We are having a beautiful, warm and sunny day in St. Louis. After visiting the Missouri Botanical Garden yesterday, it was suggested that we spend today at Forest Park. It is lovely and includes a zoo, art museum, World's Fair pavilions, and a skating rink in winter/beach volley ball in summer. We stopped at the Boathouse Restaurant on the lake and had a great lunch outside on the water's edge. It was picture perfect!

Tonight I will be turning in early after scrubbing down with the anti-bacterial lotion I was given and shampooing my hair (without conditioners or hair products). I will be sleeping on fresh clean sheets, as I was instructed. Tomorrow we will get up at 4a and repeat the shower with the remainder of the anti-bacterial lotion and I will shampoo my hair (again without conditioners, etc.)
                  I will dress in clean clothes and show up at 5:30a, squeaky clean for surgery to begin at about 7:30a! I am hoping my husband will be able to post and let you know how I am doing...

All the Best, Angie

Comment

Glad that you had a nice day today. Prayers for you tomorrow
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Angie,
                      My thoughts and prayers will be with you tomorrow. You will do just fine. Dr. Lenke is the best and you have done your part. I will be looking for your posts. Best of luck!
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Angie--
                        I need to get caught up on here. It's great to see tomorrow is the day for you. Positive thoughts and prayers for you tomorrow and through recovery! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Wishing you the best for tomorrow! You sound positive and excited, one of the lucky ones who reach that point just prior to surgery.

I'll be looking out for your good news!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It is 6:30 St. Louis time and I know you are getting ready for your big day. Your wait is finally OVER! I will be thinking about you and praying for a successful outcome and smooth recovery
                            Best,
                            Heidi
                            Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                            53*T 71*L
                            Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                            Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Good luck today! I will be praying!
                              Tamena
                              Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

hope all came out like a dream

By now, you must be feeling roughed up but know that you will have years ahead without pain.

Gardenia
                                Nov 27, 2012 surgery w/Dr Bridwell
                                Gardenia
                                Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
                                pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
                                Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
                                T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X