Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is it OK to Bend?

Hi, All!
    At 4 months I think I am doing great, at least I feel great. I had an X-Ray this week, which noted that my hardware appears intact. Can anyone remember when it was OK to bend, as in put things in or out of lower cupboards, the floor, the dryer, etc., etc? I have been using my grabber whenever possible. But whenever I forget, I can feel it in my left hip so I am guessing that's not good.

Comment

Originally posted by AngieM View Post
      Hi, All!
      At 4 months I think I am doing great, at least I feel great. I had an X-Ray this week, which noted that my hardware appears intact. Can anyone remember when it was OK to bend, as in put things in or out of lower cupboards, the floor, the dryer, etc., etc? I have been using my grabber whenever possible. But whenever I forget, I can feel it in my left hip so I am guessing that's not good.
      I would ask your surgeon as he will know best
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Angie,
        I didn't attempt to bend too much until I was six months post-op and still usually went down on one knee most of the time keeping my back straight. I pulled a chair up to the dishwasher and removed the dishes to the table before standing and putting them away. I have a front loader washer and dryer, and stil used my grabber. I just decided that it wasn't worth it to rush things during this important time of fusing. It's nice to hear from you, again.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

My 6 Month Check Up with Dr. Lenke on April 17

My 6 Month Check Up with Dr. Lenke is in the afternoon of April 17.
          Will anyone else be there also? Maybe we could get together.

Any suggestions on what to ask the Doctor? It will be my first
          appointment since surgery and I am really looking forward to it.

Thanks, Angie
          Last edited by AngieM; 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Angie, I had been wondering how you're going. Great I hope?
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Angie,

I am pretty sure Heidi and TwinMomTN (Pam) will be there on the 17th and Linda (Babyboomer) on the 18th. You might want to PM them. Bummed I missed you gals by a few weeks!

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

About my 6 month Check Up

Hi, Everyone,

I have been keeping up with you all, but am very late to update my thread. My 6 Month Check Up went very well and it was SO good to see my surgeon and his staff. I learned that I gained 2 inches (which is amazing), my X-Rays look good, and my posture was good. I had no complaints, except that my neck bothers me when sleeping. I was reading a short list of questions. Dr. Lenke took the paper that I was bent over and lifted it way up to my head, suggesting that that was the way I should be holding it. He reminded me of what he said at my first appointment, that heads are heavy and tend to pull us forward and downward. He said that I should keep my head up and my husband should remind me! That is something that doctors who perform long surgeries are very aware of...

Since he knew we live far from St. Louis, he suggested that I not come for my one year check up, and just come for the two year! I forgot to ask what exercises I should do. But found out that I can walk on the treadmill.

Missed you, AngieM

P.S. Hope to post my X-Rays soon.
                Last edited by AngieM; 06-29-2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

So glad that everything went well. Continue to take your calcium and do weight bearing exercise. My only worry about treadmills is that it might be set too fast and then you might fall.

Hugs, Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi, Angie,
                    It's so good to hear from you. It sounds like you are doing well. I definitely noticed improvements between 6 months and a year, between 1 and 2 years, and now in my 3rd year, it's the best yet. Dr. Lenke is amazing and I am so thankful he was my surgeon. Keep up the good work.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Glad to hear that you're doing so well, Angie! Thanks for sharing.
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Go slow on the treadmill !!!!

[QUOTE=AngieM;151894]Hi, Everyone,
                        ...... I can walk on the treadmill.

HI Angie,
                        After my 6 months visit with Dr. Bridwell in the beginning of May, I came home and bought a treadmill. I started upping my speed from a comfortable speed to 1.8m/h as I heard the PT saying that it is the speed required to walk across a street.

I did not hear or remember the part (according to my daughter) that he said: by the year mark you should be walking at that speed.

I over walked with speed and time in the last weeks of May and beg of June. Then, my tailbone started to hurt really bad slowly going up my spine. Then, I smartly figured out that the screws to my hips were being affected somehow. So, I rested for 2 weeks then did a bit on and off.

I now, feel all my back muscles go into spasm and I could not sleep on my sides as of 2 nights. The weight on my hip area is there sooooooo... take it slow.

I must have some loose screws on my brain area and figured that tissue around the hip or elsewhere must have suffered somewhat.

I live in Baja California so it is not all that convenient to get an appointment to check this out with Dr Bridwell as I don't think it is anything that can be fixed.

So, please take caution. I had almost zero pain the first 6 months and since I have gone up a couple of numbers due to my back muscles.

gardenia
                        Gardenia
                        Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
                        pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
                        Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
                        T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

AngieM Two Year Surgery Anniversary! Thank You to ALL!!!

September 24th was the Two Year Anniversary of my Scoliosis Surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Lenke. I owe so much to all of you who educated me and helped me along the path of finding the right surgery and surgeon for me. (Golfnut, Doreen1, Jennifer G, titaniumed, susancook, mabeckoff, Pooka1, gardenia, yacpatty, and confusedmom - to name a few) I consider myself very fortunate as I had no pain before or after surgery and understand that one cannot count on such an outcome.

Now I am working on walking outside (and not on the treadmill), because I am convinced that is the best exercise. And also becoming a better driver, especially merging in traffic by turning my whole upper body.

Again, my gratitude and thanks to the NSF Forum. This would not have been possible without all of you. All the best, AngieM

Comment

This is good news.....thanks for the update Angie

In my signature, I have age 55, the new 39. If you did your signature the same way, what would your new age be?

I have been 39 for 5 years now, so that has to be raised at some point. (smiley face)

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Angie! Congrats on your 2 yr anniversary! I agree with you about the value of this forum! I've learned a great deal and I'll be going to St. Louis for my surgery this fall.
                              Peg
                              61 yrs old
                              75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                              T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                              Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

AngieM Two Year Surgery Anniversary! Thank You to ALL!!!

Hi, Ed,

I am glad you asked because I wanted to add surgery facts, etc. to the bottom of my reply but could not figure how to do it. In answer to your question I would say: 74 at time of surgery, now 76 the new 60. Yeah, I was feeling great at 60!
                                Maybe, and hopefully, you are the new 40!

All the best, Angie
                                Last edited by AngieM; 09-28-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X