No announcement yet.

Heidi's surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep those prayers coming. I've been checking her Facebook page as well. Her friend said she had a brief fever last night, but it is gone. She has been restless, but got more sleep today. On a lot of pain meds, of course. She sat up this morning, was talking on the phone and was scheduled to walk this afternoon. I imagine she'll get more PT tomorrow, once the weekday staff is on. Sounds like she's doing well overall.

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Great news! Thank you, Tamena and Evelyn for keeping us posted.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

This was from Heidi's friend.

Hi everyone, it is almost 1 pm on Sunday. The roller coaster keeps going up and down for Heidi. Physical and occupational therapy started this morning, and she has had both already. She has had her hair washed and a sponge bath. Sister Kim Dayton and mom Carol Karels report that she is on a couple of different muscle relaxers and that one will help with the anxiety that is a natural part of this process. The family is very happy with the nurses and techs that have tended to Heidi today. Tracey

(this one is from the evening. ) Hi everyone, I just talked to Heidi for the first time! It was such a joy to hear her voice! Her sister Kim Dayton reports that she slept most of the day, lots of meds as you would expect. Her nurses were fine with both the meds and the sleep, due to the lack of sleep the last couple of days. Prayers for a good night of sleep (for her AND Kim!!) and a good night staff. Tracey

Keep praying for her.
        Tamena
        Last edited by tae_tap; 10-08-2012, 06:32 AM.
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Here is the picture of Heidi's spine that was uploaded to facebook.

Tamena
          Attached Files

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Thanks for the xray. Loks straight to me! Tell Heidi that she is in everyone's thoughts and prayers, even as far as Fiji!
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thanks for posting the xray. It looks amazing!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Here is today's update from Tracey:

Heidi update for Monday afternoon at 4: Ok, Heidi is rockin'. Here is the report from Kim Dayton and Carol Karels: Decrease in pump meds, starting other meds (pill form). Walked 27 steps (!) in and out of bed multiple times. Kim says "Today she is working hard." Wow! Go Heidi. I am absolutely amazed that she can do this today. Tracey

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Heidi you're amazing

Your spine is beautiful!!!! Keep on trucking girl you're doing fantastically!!
                  Sending hugs and love!
                  Sara

Comment

I agree. Your spine looks great! Keep on working hard and you'll be home before you know it.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Today's update via facebook:

Hi all, this is Tracey on Tuesday at 12:30pm. Heidi is hanging tough. Has had PT today and has started on (very poor tasting) solid food. Her sister Kim Dayton and mom Carol Karels continue on with her at the hospital. If you would like to send a card, it goes to:

Barnes Jewish Hospital Washington University
                      c/o Heidi Steffen, 7350 Barnes Jewish South
                      4921 Parkview Place
                      St. Louis, MO 63110

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

I bet Heidi will be dismissed before she can receive any cards. You're doing great , Heidi! Keep up the good work.

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hey guys! Heidi is having a tough time with pain lastnight and this morning. Hopefully today it will ease. She is taking pain med by mouth only now.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Heidi--
                            I hope the pain is better today. There definitely are tough days to be sure. The x-ray looks fabulous. Hang in there. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I talked to Heidi this morning and she was in a great deal of pain. She feel out of her bed which did not help things much. She was released upon the check to make sure nothing was damaged and is in the hotel next to the hospital. She will fly home next week. I hope her pain eases prior to traveling the distance from MO to NC.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Heidi is doing a little better. She is walking more and using the wheelchair less. Heidi will be flying home on Tuesday. She has a friend flying with her. Prayers for safe travels.

Tamena

Braced till age 15

Comment

Working...
                                X