No announcement yet.

Heidi's surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My writings come and go. Sometimes, I write many things and then years will pass before I write anything else. I usually write about major things happening in my life, like a new relationship (when I was younger)or about tragic things like when my sister almost died, to when my oldest daughter had heart surgery. I guess I write when I need an emotional outlet...didn't realize that until just now ! Usually, the words just come to me.
    I should probably have a notebook nearby for the next year or so!
    Thanks all!
    Best,
    Heidi
    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
    53*T 71*L
    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Heidi,

You are a very talented writer! For post- op, you might make a list of movies for you to watch since at least
      for me concentrating enough to read was out of the question. Those first few weeks I slept quite a bit. You are younger than most here so you have that on your side as well.

Pam
      Pam, age 49
      Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
      April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
      T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
        Thanks all. Today, has been a little better.
        I am hoping for a full nights rest tonight!
        Thanks for the words of encouragement, it seems like
        time is going so slow for me right now.
        @ Tamena- Will you keep the forum updated on my recovery?
        You can get updates off my face book and paste them in here?
        I went out last night with some friends and shopped a little. I bought a few comfy outfits to wear after surgery.
        Meantally, I have been really calm and confident until my date got moved up. I am sure I will get there again soon. I am usually a very positive and optimistic person, which is why my sudden thoughts were so disturbing to me.
        I scheduled a massage for Tuesday and a facial for Friday... so hopefully that will help me relax a bit! I also bought meals today to freeze for while I am in St. Louis for my family to bake/ heat up. Also a good friend set up a webpage for family and friends to bring us meals after my surgery.
        I am also turning into a major germ phob! I feel like I need to wear a mask and gloves or be quarentined to my home. I am worried about getting sick between now and Oct.5th. I am seriously considering wearing a mask on my flights for my pre op! Has anyone done this? Were you worried about getting sick prior to your surgery and if so, what did you do to prevent from getting sick?
        Best,
        Heidi
        Heidi,

I will defiantly keep the post up to date. If you need anything let me know. I am only a few hours away from St. Louis.
        Tamena
        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

pre op

Well, one more week until my pre op appt. I am so looking forward to meeting Evelyn and seeing Laurie and Jane again! Last night I spent about 5 hours in the Emergency room because my son fell and hit the side of his head. Everything turned out fine. My back hurt so bad by the time we were leaving that I was thinking I probably should have been the one seen by the Dr. I am also a little OCD about catching a cold right now and sitting in the ER last night didn't calm any fears about me getting sick before my surgery!
          I love that we have this outlet to 'speak' our concerns and to share our stories. thanks to all!
          Best,
          Heidi
          53*T 71*L

Comment

heidi im sorry about your son. good luck with your pre-op
            Kara
            Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
            Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
            T4-L2
            Before 50T
            After 20T

Comment

Wishing you a germ free week. So sorry about your son. Re: having back pain waiting around in a hospital: I have been known to lay down on the floor in a waiting room when the wait is too long. After 20 minutes in line at the Pharmacy at OHSU, I laid down on the floor in line. They got the hint that they were too slow. Do whatever you need to do to decrease pain.

Wishing you the best of luck! Susan
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Susan,
                What a vivid picture you have painted in my mind! It has been a few days since the hospital and my back and neck are still hurting. It seems like no amount of vicodin or flexeril or advil is working. Praying that I am one of the patients that feels a significant reduction in pain.
                Tomorrow is a big day for my family. We are celebrating my son's birthday! We decided to have his party 6 weeks early so that I may enjoy his day with him. His birthday is 3 weeks after my surgery. He is so excited to be turning 4.
                I am sure my back will be begging and calling for my bed by early afternoon. I think I will be thankful that my surgery is not to far off...
                53*T 71*L

Comment

Hi Heidi,

Loved your poem, especially the last line: So in love, I am heaven bound!

Yes, I also went through the worrying--but as the Bible states, "worry about nothing, instead pray about everything".

I was very fortunate--and grateful my spinal surgeon prayed with me before the surgery.

In the end, you place yourself in God's hands--that he will guide the surgeon and the rest of the staff working on you.

Will be saying prayers for you.

BTW, just getting off a flight myself, the mask over your face won't really help you not catch any illnesses--using a hand sanitizer and washing your hands throughout the airport travel will be more effective.
                  Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                  Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                  Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                  Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                  The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                  Before and after xrays:
                  http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

See you in St. Louis!

Hello, Heidi,

My pre-op with Dr. Lenke is also September 19 (sugery Oct. 19; fusion T-2--L-3) and I, too, am stressing and obsessing. I would love to connect with you and I would also like very much to make contact with anyone out there who is a few months post-op and would be willing to share experiences. I have huge faith in Dr. Lenke, but let's face it, this is a scary experience no matter what!

This is my first post and I'm hoping to find some comeraderie and support (my family is awesomely supportive but ....)

Thanks hugely!

Cheryl (Cherelli) in Charleston, SC
                    Cherelli][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Cherelli,
                      I sent a reply to your PM. Did you get it?
                      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                      Rib Hump-GONE!
                      Age-60 at the time of surgery
                      Now 66
                      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thanks for the compliments!
                        Cheryl- I just sent you a PM. Would love to meet you as well

My son had a lovely birthday party and now I am off to take a nap...
                        53*T 71*L

Comment

St. Louis

Well, we are packed and ready to go! We will leave in the morning and get to St. Louis early tomorrow evening. I will update everyone on Thursday or Friday as to what my surgical plan will be. I can't wait to see everyone. I've attached a pic so you all know what I look like! If you see me make sure to say "Hello!"

IMG_0392.jpg
                          53*T 71*L

Comment

Have a safe trip
                            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

pre op appointment

Hi all. I am back from St. Louis and I am so ready for bed but I wanted to write and give an update.
                              First, it was great seeing Laurie and Jane again. It was wonderful meeting Evelyn and Nancy. I missed Cheryl.
                              My trip was off to a rough start with our plane being delayed. We sat in the plane for a couple hours before we were allowed to take off. This made my back hurt so bad that I took vicodin and pretty much felt sick for the next two days. UGH. So while I enjoyed dinner with Laurie and her boyfriend I was feeling green and was not my usual self! Tuesday night I did not sleep well because I was afraid the alarm wouldn't go off.
                              So Wednesday morning I woke up and headed to get my MRI at 7:30. From there I went to get my xrays and then up to Dr. Lenke's new office on the 12th floor. My appointment is at 10 and I am there at about 9:45. I was actually suprised that I was on time considering. I finally saw Dr. Lenke a little after 12. It was decided that I would be operated on from T4- the sacrum/pelvis.
                              He then told me that since it was a larger surgery then he thought I needed, that he may have to reschedule me... well, let's just say that he could tell this upset me greatly and told me that he had plans for dinner in Chicago and plans to go to a game on Saturday... to make a long story short, I think he is willing to take a later flight out. I am half expecting a call to change my date again, but I hope NOT.
                              I also found out that I have shrunk another 1/2 inch since my Nov. appointment. Dr. Lenke said I should get my 2.5 inches back. I was secretly hoping for more but 2.5 would be nice. So, I was hungry and sent the hubby for food while waiting to see Kelly. While I was in with Kelly the DH tried to call and text to bring me food but wouldn't you know the is no cell phone reception after 2 hours of trying to find me he gave up and went back to the room.
                              So after Kelly I headed back down stairs to meet with anestesiology (sp?) and that took a couple hours. They did an EKG (I had heart surgery as a child so I guess they wanted to make sure I was ok) and drew some blood. They also listened to my heart, checked my vitals, looked in my mouth, and moved my head around.
                              As you can imagine I was so hungry by this time I begged the nurses for anything... eventually they brought me water and a couple saltine crackers.I finally used hospital phone to call the hubby and he comes and brings me food. I was so thankful! I thought I was done but the nurse sends me back upstairs for a chest xray.
                              By the time I was done there, it was after four.
                              I went to the room to rest for a bit and then headed back upstairs to hunt down Evelyn and Jane! It was worth the trek to see their smiling faces!
                              So my advice for anyone going to see Lenke for a pre op appointment? Make sure you bring snacks!

My best to all! I am going to bed now!
                              Heidi
                              53*T 71*L

Comment

Sounds like it would have been a nightmare day but saved by meeting up with your scoli-sisters!

There are loads of us here fused T4 - Sacrum and speaking for myself, it's great!

Hoping there's no change in surgery date for you.
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X