No announcement yet.

Heidi's surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She fell out of bed?? That's awful. I can't begin to imagine that. I certainly hope things go more smoothly for her soon. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

6 months til surgery with dr lenke

Heidi glad you've made it through surgery. I appreciate you sharing your experience.
      44 years old, right thoracic curve 63 degrees, thoracolumbar major curve 75 degrees, thoracic kyphosis 39 degrees.

Comment

Tamena was posting for Heidi, but since she is in recovery, I will post. Heidi is back at home. Her mother in law is staying with her. She is walking every day, trying to reduce pain meds, and generally seems to be doing well. This is from her friend's post on Facebook. She is still having trouble focusing on email, so it might be a while before she posts here.
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

This is so nice of you, Evelyn, to post for both Heidi and Tamena. Thank you and best wishes to both girls.
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

There is a photo of Heidi on Facebook today. She's up and about at home. She took her first car trip to pick her son up at school. Looks like she's doing well, but still having troubled focusing close up. In her photo, she appears taller and lean in the abdomen. Go Heidi!

Evelyn
            age 48
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Hi all. This is MIL Leslie typing for Heidi

I am 3 1/2 weeks post op. Don't feel like typing yet but I wanted to let everyone know I am OK. As far as I know, the surgery has been successful and I've gained 2 1/2 inches in height. I don't remember much about the hospital stay....didn't think it was a very nice hospital......at least not compared to the hospitals around here. I didn't have a roommate and the room was adequate, but seemed old fashioned...not at all like Dr. Lenke's office.
              I was T4 to the sacrum and my right leg hurts from my hip to my knee. It looks fine but feels bruised and is sensitive to the touch. Dr Kim told my sister that it was because I was lying on a board during surgery, which lasted 9 hours. Also, my right leg is weaker than the left. I am curious if anyone else had a similar problem or has any suggestions.
              I'm definitely stronger in the mornings and I think I am weaning myself off a lot of the meds sooner than most. I am showering and dessing with just minimal help......but cooking and childcare are too difficult right now.
              When I lay flat on my back, I feel like I am wearing the Boston brace I wore in childhood............ So I know I will feel at 100% once my recovery is complete.
              One thing that surprised me......no steri strips were used to close my incision.......... they used glue.
              That's all for now. I'll get back to the forum shortly. Just wanted to let you all know that things are going well for the most part.
              Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
              53*T 71*L
              Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
              Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

one more thing

Thanks Evelyn for keeping the forum up to date.
                53*T 71*L

Comment

Heidi,
                  I think you are doing really well. You are through the toughest part of the recovery and will start to feel better each week. Once I was weaned off of the pain meds and started getting out of the house (and hearing compliments about my new look) I improved by leaps and bounds.
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Heidi,
                    so nice to hear from you! Those first weeks are so tough (to put it mildly). I second what Karen said - at your stage, I really noticed a huge improvement almost day to day. Then weeks and months go by, and you eventually are back up to speed. Of course napping and resting will help a lot - I hope you have enough help at home.
                    Just thinking about you,
                    Nancy
                    Age 58
                    Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                    original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                    fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

• Heidi,

If you are already weaning pain meds, you are rocking, girl!! Keep up the good work. (But take it easy on yourself, too.)

Best,
                      Evelyn
                      age 48

Comment

• Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
                        I am 3 1/2 weeks post op. Don't feel like typing yet but I wanted to let everyone know I am OK. As far as I know, the surgery has been successful and I've gained 2 1/2 inches in height. I don't remember much about the hospital stay....didn't think it was a very nice hospital......at least not compared to the hospitals around here. I didn't have a roommate and the room was adequate, but seemed old fashioned...not at all like Dr. Lenke's office.
                        I was T4 to the sacrum and my right leg hurts from my hip to my knee. It looks fine but feels bruised and is sensitive to the touch. Dr Kim told my sister that it was because I was lying on a board during surgery, which lasted 9 hours. Also, my right leg is weaker than the left. I am curious if anyone else had a similar problem or has any suggestions.
                        I'm definitely stronger in the mornings and I think I am weaning myself off a lot of the meds sooner than most. I am showering and dessing with just minimal help......but cooking and childcare are too difficult right now.
                        When I lay flat on my back, I feel like I am wearing the Boston brace I wore in childhood............ So I know I will feel at 100% once my recovery is complete.
                        One thing that surprised me......no steri strips were used to close my incision.......... they used glue.
                        That's all for now. I'll get back to the forum shortly. Just wanted to let you all know that things are going well for the most part.
                        Thank you Leslie! Heidi, you sound good. I hope the hip to knee pain eases as time goes by and various areas of swelling reduce. I just wanted to say that I too, had glue closing my incision and I had no problems whatsoever. You can see a photo of my scar at 11 weeks in my signature. It's very pale now and barely noticeable - amazing really. I would definitely prefer the glue to stitches.

2.5 inches, that's amazing! You must feel like you're walking around on stilts!

Take it easy and don't cut out your pain meds too early, all your energy needs to go into healing, not dealing with pain right now. We look forward to hearing from you again soon.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• busy day

Hello all! Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks post op. I had a busy day... I started with a shower (which I can pretty much do on my own) I need a little help towel drying my hair but can blowdry it myself. I dressed myself. I had to use the sock tool and dressing stick but managed just fine. After breakfast, we headed to lazy boy in search of a comfortable chair for me for the next year or so. The car ride wasn't too bad a few bumps but nothing to make a big deal about. I had my first sneeze today... twice! It only hurt momentarily or maybe I had imagined it would hurt so much worse. I am down to taking 1/2 oxycotin at night. I did take 4 regular tylenol today. I'm not saying I don't have any pain but it is quite managable.
                          The one thing that bothers about this whole experience is the things I can't/don't remember. Some family members are telling me some funny stories! I bet Dr. Lenke and his team think I am a piece of work....not sure I want to face them again Drugs... they sure do make some people say/ do the darndest things.
                          Went for a walk with my oldest daughter this afternoon.
                          The drug withdrawls have been at a minimum today and my crying spells have been limited.
                          Overall, I feel fairly confident that I will have a successful outcome and will eventually be back to better then normal!
                          Thanks to everyone who has stuck by me and kept up with me. I will update you when or if anything happens!
                          Best,
                          Heidi
                          53*T 71*L

Comment

• Heidi...i believe oxycontin is time released...
                            which means it is not supposed to be cut in half...
                            maybe you should check with your doctor....????
                            also...did he OK how much tylenol you are taking...?

hope you feel better every day....

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Jess,
                              My hubby is a dr and i have the privledge of a local spine doc as a neighbor who both ok it. As far as tylenol your liver can
                              Only handle 4000mg which i am way below that. I am feeling so much better since getting off the narcotics. Besifes the fact that i am no longer falling out of bed or off the toilet because i was so impaired. I really
                              Have minimal pain now and can only praise God for his protection while i was on all those drugs and thank Him for my healing. I have asked him to carry my pain and he has answered my prayers.
                              53*T 71*L

Comment

• Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
                                Hello all! Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks post op. I had a busy day... I started with a shower (which I can pretty much do on my own) I need a little help towel drying my hair but can blowdry it myself. I dressed myself. I had to use the sock tool and dressing stick but managed just fine. After breakfast, we headed to lazy boy in search of a comfortable chair for me for the next year or so. The car ride wasn't too bad a few bumps but nothing to make a big deal about. I had my first sneeze today... twice! It only hurt momentarily or maybe I had imagined it would hurt so much worse. I am down to taking 1/2 oxycotin at night. I did take 4 regular tylenol today. I'm not saying I don't have any pain but it is quite managable.
                                The one thing that bothers about this whole experience is the things I can't/don't remember. Some family members are telling me some funny stories! I bet Dr. Lenke and his team think I am a piece of work....not sure I want to face them again Drugs... they sure do make some people say/ do the darndest things.
                                Went for a walk with my oldest daughter this afternoon.
                                The drug withdrawls have been at a minimum today and my crying spells have been limited.
                                Overall, I feel fairly confident that I will have a successful outcome and will eventually be back to better then normal! By the way I had my second sneeze tonight too. Ouch!!!!! Also recovering from a hick up in
                                Thanks to everyone who has stuck by me and happens!
                                Best,
                                Heidi
                                Heidi, your recovery sounds so similar to mine. I am too just a little over 4 weeks post-op and am doing most everything that you are. I can now shower and dry my hair on my own. I have definitely had many crying spells in the past week or so. Trying to wean off the Meds slowly and walking the neighborhood a few times a week. I split it up a few times a day but am up to about 1 miles throughout the day. Mostly muscle
                                Pain lately, some neck pain and stiffness. I'm currently on oxycodone, acetaminophen, valium, flexeril and some stool softeners. I feel like the Valium is going to be the most difficult to let go of since it really helps with muscle soreness. But well see how the weeks go! Sneezing does hurt! Tonight was my second and no fun! Hope we keep improving!!!!

Hannah

Comment

Working...
                                X