No announcement yet.

Heidi's surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heidi, just want to say that I feel for you so much! The anticipation was pretty awful... and my family was so worried and trying to act normal... as so many have said, the build up was worse for me than the surgery and recovery. Once you're done, it's a relief, and you can just focus on recovery. We are all thinking about you!
    Nancy
    Age 58
    Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
    original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
    fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Thanks Nancy. I can't wait for the Day... time seems to be going by so slow. I am getting my teeth cleaned Monday. Yesterday I finished packing. I am so ready. I will be in St. Louis on wednesday. 7 MORE DAYS
      Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
      53*T 71*L
      Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
      Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Heidi,

Did you find the shampoo. It's not the dry spray stuff, which is basically baby powder, I think. It's something that's a liquid in a bag, but its no rinse. So your hair's wet When your done, but you didn't have to shower. I'm pretty sure they gave me the first two in the hospital.

Thinking of you!!!

Best,
        Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Lol. Crap Evelyn... i bought the spray kind !
          53*T 71*L

Comment

Heidi,
            I got the spray kind too and even tried it out. I guess it's okay, but I am going to miss my hot showers! Then again, I will appreciate them when they return, lol.
            Tamena
            Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Hi all,
              2 more days until I leave for St. Louis and 4 more days until my surgery! I am ready to go. I have had a rough couple of days because one of my dearest friends has lost her boyfriend in a car accident. So, as you can imagine it has been an emotional couple of days. I am so thankful for dear friends and encouraging words! I will try to write you after I get my central line in on Thursday. Tamena will be updating the forum to let you all know how I am doing.
              Thanks in advance for your prayers, encouragement and kind words.
              Best,
              Heidi
              53*T 71*L

Comment

Heidi,
                Just think that in less than a week you will have a nice straight back. For me, the recovery was much worse than the weeks before surgery. It wasn't a walk in the park, but it was much less painful than I had anticipated. Dr. Lenke is one of the best, so that was reassuring to me.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I think Karen meant much better, right?! If you are looking for things to distract you on Thursday, there is a movie theater in a hotel a couple of blocks from the hospital. Also, some good ethnic food restaurants along the way. I'll be cheering for you!

Evelyn
                  age 48
                  Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

Yes, I meant the recovery was MUCH BETTER. Sorry, if I alarmed anyone.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Heidi,

I will be thinking about you. Sending you warm and gentle hugs.
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

The FIL comes today to look after the kids. Going out to breakfast with one of my friends. Then more waiting....
                        53*T 71*L

Comment

Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
                          The FIL comes today to look after the kids. Going out to breakfast with one of my friends. Then more waiting....
                          Don't think of it as waiting......think that you have been given a little extra time to say a true good bye to your body before the new one moves in. : )

Tamena
                          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Heidi,

Thinking of you! I know that you are going to do great! You are young. You have an excellent surgeon and a top jotch team who will be working on you. You are right where you need to be. Just let go and soon you will be on the other side telling us about your excellent progress.

BTW..the two male nurses who prepped me for my central line were like a comedy team. Hope you get them tomorrow!

Kathy
                            Kathy
                            46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                            71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                            8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                            http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Don't forget to take "before" photos and then kiss that crooked back goodbye! When you wake up you will be nice and straight!!!

Best,
                              Evelyn
                              age 48

Comment

what Kathy said!! We are thinking about you tonight... and I also know that you will do great - you couldn't be in better hands. Can't wait to hear the good updates about your surgery and recovery.
                                Nancy
                                Age 58
                                Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                                original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                                fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Working...
                                X