Heidi's surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aaarrggg!

Just got a call from pre op in St. Louis... they forgot to get a urine culture. So, now I am headed to my Dr.'s office Monday morning to do that and have them fax over the results. I was really trying to avoid germy places!!!!
    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
    53*T 71*L
    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

Heidi,

Wow, that brings back the memories of my pre-opt day. It is really a full day. Sounds like you did great! My flight was also impacted by the east coast weather Tuesday evening, so I know what you went through!

It's nice that your surgery will be on a Wednesday. That way you only have to have the central line in (prior to surgery) the one day instead of over the weekend. I hope you can keep your surgery date. I know it can be a near "military operation" to set up arrangements for young children!

I wish I could have met you, but I will follow your posts and I'll be praying for you as your big day draws near!

Kathy
      Kathy
      46 yrs at surgery, now 50
      71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
      8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
      http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Hi Kathy,
        My surgery is actuall on Friday the 5th! I arrive on Wednesday the 3rd, get my central line the morning of the 4th...
        and yes, I was glad that was not the call to rescedule!
        53*T 71*L

Comment

Heidi,
          Sorry about that! Da, I was looking at September not October. Friday will be good as well. You will do great!!!

I know how scary this pre-surgery time can be. It really was worse than the recovery for me. You are in great hands!

Kathy
          Kathy
          46 yrs at surgery, now 50
          71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
          8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
          http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Good to know! I am anxious for sure. Time seems to be dragging now. I am going to be exercising a lot!
            I think I am going to go get a pedicure today...
            53*T 71*L

Comment

Heidi, It was so fun meeting you on Wednesday! All of us who have been through the process are really feeling for you right now with all the ANTICIPATION! Just try to keep your thoughts on the time after the surgery... you're going to wake up, it'll be a hard first week, and then better and better every day!
              Nancy
              Age 58
              Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
              original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
              fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Well, if it makes any difference to you I don't remember any of the first week...which is probably a good thing. So maybe your meds will give you amnesia too!
                Pam, age 49
                Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Thanks all!
                  Nancy, it was nice meeting you as well! You are such a tiny thing. I am glad that you are back on the forum. My mom and sister are going to be with me after surgery for the first week. So for those of you with kids, were you able to talk to your kids on the phone after surgery? Will I feel like getting my hair washed at the salon before coming home (10 days post op)?
                  53*T 71*L

Comment

Heidi,
                    I wasn't sure if I could believe them or not (just kidding), but Kathy and Nancy both told me that the presurgery time was the worst part of the whole deal, and for me it turned out to be absolutely true. I had a smooth recovery with very little pain (mainly abdomen pain from constipation). Be sure to keep us posted on recovery. I STILL hear compliments eveyday. A former boyfriend told me yesterday that I look 20 years younger.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Awesome, Karen! I was with someone once who said, "I leaned to the left and it was freaky." I have never forgotten that and I guess deep down it really hurt me. I guess that was the begining to our end. So on the bright side, I hope to be straightened out by the time this is all over with!
                      53*T 71*L

Comment

Dr. Lenke can do amazing corrections. I'm sure you will be pleased. I am actually still estatic and it has almost been two years since my surgery. It's so nice not to have to wear all loose fitting clothing. I also feel that this surgery gave me a better prognosis for the next twenty or so years.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Heidi,

I talked to my kids, friends, in-laws, etc. from St. Louis. I even posted on the Forum. Guess what? I don't remember any of it! Every once in a while I come across something I posted from those early days and am amazed at my lack of recollection.

Not to be a downer, but just so you aren't disappointed if things are a little rough, for me recovery has not been easy and has actually been harder than I imagined. It's not the degree of pain, just the lingering nature of it and the constant wondering if it will ever go away. That said, it IS improving every week, and you have every reason to do very well with this. Also, I do agree that those days right before surgery are the hardest emotionally. When you wake up on the "other side" you will be so relieved. Then when you see your new back, you'll be thrilled!!!!!

Evelyn
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi Heidi,
                            I got my hair washed at the hospital salon the day I was discharged from the hospital (and moved to the Parkway), so that was about 6 days after surgery. That was tricky, but do-able, and felt wonderful. I did it again before we flew home too. As for talking on the phone, I definitely did, but as the others say, don't remember anything other than my mouth was so dry it was hard to talk coherently... I'm sure you'll be able to talk to your kids on the phone.
                            Do any of you still find yourselves trying on clothes and feeling like they need to be baggy? I really have to talk myself into buying anything the least bit form fitting...!
                            Age 58
                            Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                            original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                            fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

Heidi,
                              I used those "waterless" shampoo kits every day at the hotel in St. Louis. My mom or husband would "wash" my hair while I was sitting or standing. I was sweating a lot, so I felt I needed it. (I guess from all the IV fluids they pump into you.) You can get them at Walgreens or CVS. Also, bring diaper wipes for cleaning in those days before you can shower. A squirt bottle is helpful, too. Good news is, all of that stuff passes quickly!

Evelyn
                              age 48
                              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

I guess I will be taking a trip to the drug store tomorrow for dry shampoo and baby wipes! 7 more days until I fly to St. Louis.
                                I am definately having a rough time here with anxiety...
                                53*T 71*L

Comment

Working...
                                X