Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving the hips

Hi Jennifer,

not to get too detailed here, but how can you move your hips if you are fused to your sacrum? I am fused to the sacrum, and it is physically not possible to move my hips as in tipping my pelvis forward/back or side to side. Without being too detailed I understand there are other ways to move while in bed, but I guess I'm confused how exactly you move your hips. Care to share?
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

When can one have a glass of wine? I understand that you should not have any alcohol until you're on the meds, but when you weaned off, is occasional glass of wine with dinner Ok? Not that it's so important, just curious.

Also, the first weeks at home - did you wear pajamas or night gowns? Would PJ pants irritate the scar around the waist / hip line? Is night gown better? Did you wear sleepwear all the time during the first couple weeks or had stamina and desire to change into something else?

I am impressed by how much some people walk before and after surgery. I wonder when people say that you walk 4-5 miles pre-op and let's say 2 miles post-op, do they mean walking all these miles non-stop, at once? I can only walk 1.5 - 2 miles non-stop before my back and ribs start hurting reallly bad. Do people who were able to walk these 4-5 miles pre-op did it pain-free or they just pushed thru the pain?
      Last edited by Irina; 09-10-2012, 04:15 PM.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
        Hi Jennifer,

not to get too detailed here, but how can you move your hips if you are fused to your sacrum? I am fused to the sacrum, and it is physically not possible to move my hips as in tipping my pelvis forward/back or side to side. Without being too detailed I understand there are other ways to move while in bed, but I guess I'm confused how exactly you move your hips. Care to share?
        Hi Gayle. I'm as confused as you sound! I have no problem moving my hips. If you lie on a bed, can you not lift your hips up off the bed? Move your hips from side to side? After reading your post, I went and lay on the bed, thinking, am I imagining this? No, I can move pretty much as I've always done. I'm testing it sitting in my chair right now, I guess I move from above my fusion. But it does the same thing. I can move side to side in my chair, keeping my shoulders still. If I stand, I can clench my buttocks and move my hips forward. Can you not do these things?
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jennifer, thanks!! You have given me some inspiration that things will gradually get more normal. They're already more normal than right after surgery, but I'm glad to hear they keep improving!

Irina, I don't think there would be any restrictions on drinking wine after your off pain meds--as long as you're not falling down drunk!!
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

That was supposed to be a smiley, but it didn't work. I know you wouldn't let yourself be falling down drunk post-op, of course.
            age 48
            80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
            Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
            Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
            Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
            Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
              That was supposed to be a smiley, but it didn't work. I know you wouldn't let yourself be falling down drunk post-op, of course.
              Nope, Evelyn. No falling down drunk post-op, just pre-op. Sounds like a thing to do when I have a surgery date. Just kidding :-)
              I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
              45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
              A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Evelyn,
                I am fused T4 to sacrum and it WILL get easier to do all of the things you mentioned. Trust us on this!
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                X