Thread: Life after surgery?

Life after surgery?

Once again hello to all!
    The theme for posting this thread is that I want to know that which type of life you people are living after your surgery...?
    In which way surgery is affecting, is it seems to be a hurdle in your activities,how many of you still bear pain,what are the sitting capacity...?

Please share your experiences......
    Am waiting for your replies

REGARDS
    FATIMA

Hi Fatima,

Great questions! In a nutshell, I am able to LIVE my life as a result of surgery. Preop I was mostly bedridden with pain and became an observer of life. Now I'm a participant in life! Read my blog starting at the July posts to see what I've been up to in regards to activity levels http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

From reading this forum, it seems the majority of us go on to live our lives fully. Some of us have restrictions of some kind, and a few of us have ongoing problems resulting in a decreased quality of life. Outcomes for this type of surgery vary greatly.

For myself, I am pain-free and able to do anything I want though I do have two restrictions from my doctor: no running and no lifting over 10Kg. This is to save the vertebra above my fusion from undue stress. I can live with this, no problem, and consider the surgery, for me, to be the best thing I ever did for myself.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Quote Originally Posted by Doreen1 View Post
    Hi Fatima,

Great questions! In a nutshell, I am able to LIVE my life as a result of surgery. Preop I was mostly bedridden with pain and became an observer of life. Now I'm a participant in life! Read my blog starting at the July posts to see what I've been up to in regards to activity levels http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Warmly,
    Doreen
    I have seen your blog that's really awsome and so helpful,I ahve seen the post-op exercises that was greatly helpful to me ..
    You are living a great life..
    Also do the prayer for me that I also live a pain free life...

Thanks
    Fatimah

I'm 22mths post op and although my pain isn't as draining as pre op I'm disappointed that I'm still in pain and have to still restrict myself or I end up flat on my back waiting for the pain to subside.

My surgeon is pretty certain its my metalwork causing it and I do have a few protruding screws which seem to rub causing digging pain in my middle back. I have decided to have ihave it removed next year-he won't do it until he's certain I'm fully fused. I'm hoping that if I get this metal removed I 'could' be on the road to a more pain free life.
    Fused T2-L4 with costoplasty on 3/11/10

Wish you best of luck:)

So sad to read your story..
    I will surely pray for you that soon you may get rid of this pain because I can understand this harsh feeling..
    One question for you that you are going to remove all the metal r some of it,,and what about the rods??

Fatima,
    I am 15 months post op, and like bluestone, have constant discomfort. It starts in the morning with pressure/pulling in my back, and progresses to burning, pinching, and EXTREME tightness, as if a tight belt is wrapped around my torso. My x-rays and CT scan at 1 yr post op showed no problems, and my Dr. offered no comment other than to say I may have to learn to live with it. So, to say I am disappointed would be an understatement. I certainly hope you are not in the small percentage of us who are less than thrilled with our results.
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Feeling so sad to read about your issues...
    InshaAllah You will soon get rid of these issues....
    And i will too...

Hoping for the best

REGARDS
    FATIMAH
    I am more stronger than scoliosis. And I will not allow it to control my life.