X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have joined school :)

I have join my school from 3rd sept.
    Feeling so glad....
    There is a just problem to sit for several hours...
    Because its give a lot of pain to me...
    So I am going just for 3 to 4 hours....

Pray for me..
    Regards Fatimah
    I am more stronger than scoliosis. And I will not allow it to control my life.

3-4 hours is good. Take it gently and I hope you find it gets easier each day.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
      3-4 hours is good. Take it gently and I hope you find it gets easier each day.
      I wants to get rid of this pain now....
      My back pain has increased alot...
      Its now unbearable...now on leave from school
      So depressed that little time is left for exams and I don't have any preparation... .How i will cover..??

Comment

I'm very sorry to hear about your pain. Can you see your surgeon and get some xrays done? What medication are you taking?

Comment

The fact that you are even back at school is totally awesome! Talk to your teachers about letting you do things slower. Tell them that you are not prepared for the exams and how can they help you to succeed? It sounds like they were very supportive of you. A couple of hours sitting in a chair is difficult...don't expect to be there for 6-8 hours to start. Is there a way that they can take a comforter or heavy blanket and let you lie down during some part of the day or during a class? How are you comfortable?

A good point was made earlier, what pain medications are you taking? Have you been back to your doctor to tell him what hurts?

You will suceed, I think from what you say that you are a very strong person, but don't do it alone. Ask for help and take it slowly and don't give up!

HUGS to you from accross many miles, Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hello Fatimah,
            I just saw your postings and send prayers for your pain relief and your continued successful healing.
            It takes everyone different amounts of time to recover from the surgery. Have you contacted your surgeon regarding the amount of pain you're having? He needs to know in order to help you and determine if anything is amiss. Also, have you and he talked about exercises or stretches you can do to help with the pain? I don't know if you are walking every day, but simply moving helps relieve most of the pain my son had both while recovering & on the few times he has had problems. There are times when simply getting up from the desk and standing or walking to the restroom helps. Have you considered bringing a pillow?
            I agree with talking with your teachers - tell them the pain you are in, remind them of the surgery you just had earlier this year, and ask if they can allow you more time to do your work. I've found that teachers, in general, are very understanding during recovery and when there are flare-ups in pain and Jacob needs to miss school. He has had to learn to ask for help, which can be a little tough for teens. But ask and it probably will be given
            I wish you relief from your pain and for you to continue getting better.
            LeighAnn
            Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
            Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
            Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
            Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
            photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

I am fully satisfied from my taechers co-operation.They are fully co-operating with me.They have arranged a bed for me so that i could take rest for pain reliefment.Have provided me a very comfortable chair with cussions both to sit on and for the back.And use to give me extra concentration...
              The problem is that I have pain in my lower back not in spine but both sides of bone..
              and my surgeon had told me to give it some time..
              I use to take a painkiller thats name is DIAGESIC-P..
              I dont use to walk alot because i use to feel that my legs are tired of being supporting me...
              was doing therapy last month and use to do LEG RAISE UP daily...
              Regards Fatima

Comment

My post-op story..

I think i shiuld tell you the whole story after surgery by that you will be able to understand and to provide me a guideline...
                Before surgery my height was reduced from 5 feet 10 inches to 5 feet 7 inches..
                And when my surgery was done I was of 6 feet and 2 inches :P...
                I was going through a very fast recovery and even after 1 month i had no pain but when i start to sit and walk in 2nd month the pain returns and i reduced my height to 1.5 inches..
                than i used to feel that some changes are occuring in me ... I went to my surgeon and asked him that if after surgery I can suffer again the curve.He provided me hope and said this is ur internal fear and nothing more there are very rare chances of again curvement..
                Then i return back and assured myself that its just my fear...But,in the third month my famly and i start noticing that my ribcage had become larger from back,leg descremancy has also occured but so minute.. ...
                I took my fresh x-rays and took them to my surgeon he saw them and said the bone is at the same position where we have adjusted its just your fear and nothing else ... Go home,be relax, do some walk, take milk regularly and pray to God...
                Now my height is 5 feet and 11 inches... and my ribcage and scapula hump is not too worst as pre op but it is prominent that should not be..it should stay at that position where it was after surgery and have pain...
                I have an irritating point that if my curve is not increased then why after surgery my height is reduced...??

Comment

Originally posted by fatimah View Post
                  I think i shiuld tell you the whole story after surgery by that you will be able to understand and to provide me a guideline...
                  Before surgery my height was reduced from 5 feet 10 inches to 5 feet 7 inches..
                  And when my surgery was done I was of 6 feet and 2 inches :P...
                  I was going through a very fast recovery and even after 1 month i had no pain but when i start to sit and walk in 2nd month the pain returns and i reduced my height to 1.5 inches..
                  than i used to feel that some changes are occuring in me ... I went to my surgeon and asked him that if after surgery I can suffer again the curve.He provided me hope and said this is ur internal fear and nothing more there are very rare chances of again curvement..
                  Then i return back and assured myself that its just my fear...But,in the third month my famly and i start noticing that my ribcage had become larger from back,leg descremancy has also occured but so minute.. ...
                  I took my fresh x-rays and took them to my surgeon he saw them and said the bone is at the same position where we have adjusted its just your fear and nothing else ... Go home,be relax, do some walk, take milk regularly and pray to God...
                  Now my height is 5 feet and 11 inches... and my ribcage and scapula hump is not too worst as pre op but it is prominent that should not be..it should stay at that position where it was after surgery and have pain...
                  I have an irritating point that if my curve is not increased then why after surgery my height is reduced...??
                  Hi Fatimah,

Can you give us some details such as

Length of fusion i.e. T? - L?
                  Before and after cobb angle (curve size)
                  Can you post photos of your x-rays?
                  Do you have titanium rods?
                  Was it a posterior incision only (no incision on the side or front?)
                  Do you know if BMP was used?

The answers may give some of the more knowledgeable posters here, an idea of what's happening so that they can possibly advise you. They may have lots more questions as well.

I agree, the loss of height is considerable, though I think some "settling" can occur in the early days/weeks. I hope someone here can help you in some way. It's a shame your surgeon isn't giving you the explanation you require. If you can post your before and after x-rays, it would help.

Comment

Link to xray after surgery .jpg
                    210320102262.jpg
                    these are my x-rays....
                    Attached Files

Comment

before surgery have severe posterior curve DV5 through L1.
                      Fusion is from L1-T7.
                      Cobb curve was of 112 degree pre-op.And no idea about post-op curve.
                      Incision is done just at posterior side.
                      And sorry I don't know about BMP that whether t was use or not.I will confirm about it from my doctor then will let you know.
                      And yeah titanium rods are used..
                      Last edited by fatimah; 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks Fatimah. You had a whopper of a curve, no wonder you hurt. Hopefully, that information and the x-rays may help someone here to give you some advice.

Comment

Yeah I wish that may some 1 help me....
                          And you have asked me about the use of BMP Product.I have confirmed it was not used.
                          Thanks for your help .

Regards
                          Fatimah.

Comment

Still hoping someone can offer some advice. Meantime, I hope you are not in too much pain.

Comment

Hey fatimah!
                              Wow that was some curve! I think you beat the record that you had the biggest curve out if all if us. Your curve looks to be around 40* in my opinion no wonder you have back pain. Youve Been through a lot and You cant take anything in your path because Your a strong girl and we all know it!

Comment

Working...
                              X