Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

treatments, what works (and what doesn't)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treatments, what works (and what doesn't)

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 19. I tried seeing a chiropractor and as long as I kept going, the pain stopped but there was no improvement of the curve and a few months after I stopped going the pain gradually came back. I want to try to do something about it but not sure what. Please share your story if you have had any luck improving the pain or the curvature, and share your story if something doesn't work, so maybe it will save some of the rest of us from suffering for nothing or wasting our money on something that doesn't work. Thanks.

Well, everyone is different. What a coincidence! I too was apparently 'diagnosed' with scoliosis when I was 19. 46/23 degree curves However in my case the chiropractor care with myofacial massage wouldn't help. And if in the rare event that it did it would only last for 10-15 mins tops and the pain would come right back. I've tried bracing (doesn't work, and Dr Collins said it won't help so stop wearing it) Accupuncture didn't much help me either. I got really bad headaches and ear pain from the needles inserted. (if you don't like needles I wouldn't recommend it) As far as medications have been. Ha! I've been on just about anything and everything. The only thing that has given me a little bit of relief has been morphine (during the first two or so doses, now it doesn't do me a bit of good) and Valium (same as with morphine) now, heat pads may however provide a bit of relief or even a really hot hot bath. When my pain gets really bad I've found that a shower head capable of water massage helps a bit, until I turn the water off. (thanks to my hubby for that) well, sorry if I've rambled. Hope that may have helped you.
    25 yr old female =^_^=
    Thoracic curve 48 degrees (with kyphosis)
    Lumbar curve 23 degrees
    surgery from t5-l1 25 July 2005
    Two rods and 16 screws later . . . 0 degrees YAY!

Comment

Curvature condition before rods

[QUOTE=achin_back]I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 19. I tried seeing a chiropractor and as long as I kept going, the pain stopped but there was no improvement of the curve and a few months after I stopped going the pain gradually came back. I want to try to do something about it but not sure what. Please share your story if you have had any luck improving the pain or the curvature, and share your story if something doesn't work, so maybe it will save some of the rest of us from suffering for nothing or wasting our money on something that doesn't work. Thanks.[/QUOTE= Mereana]
      My girlfriend noticed my protruding rib/back at the age of 13 on our way home from school. I had to have the rod implanted @ T4-L5 to stop further curvature I had that done @ 17. In New Zealand we see Othopaedics and I feel I needed the rod. But depending on your severity of curvature alternative treatments might help I wish I had known the importance of keeping flexible and stretching like doing yoga and to keep my weight low and not to carry, lift, stooping and bending which contributed more stress on my body. Finding suitable seating and vehicle is a must. {I have already submited my views on seating and how I now live with my scoliosis} I am now 47 but know we can never learn enough from eachother and need eachothers support.

Comment

Working...
      X