Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post surgery worries.cricks,creaks,clicking and crunching

Hi all,
    Im sure iv read here that its nothing to worry about but...
    Im 5 weeks post surgery from T1 to L5 surgery.i think im being really careful moving when I havent got my cast on however even with my cast on im experiencing creaking,clicking etc,bit like someone grinding their teeth or someone cracking their knuckles.is this normal?is it jus muscles or my spine settling down?
    Also,at 5 weeks how much or how far do you think I should be walking?at the minute im just walking around the house,at least every hour.
    Thanks,im grateful for any help or comments
    27 yr old Female.
    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

As far as creaks and cracks are concerned, I think that's fairly normal. One thing I remember is that anything at all that was different or unexplained, was a worry in those early weeks. It's the unknown, I guess.

As for walking, you are still very early out. I think you could be stretching the walk to round the block, if it's at all possible. Take someone with you that first time. The more you do it, the better you'll feel, I promise! But increase very gradually. Walking every hour is good, at least you're walking and it's multiple times per day. We're all different, and remember you've had a huge correction, and there's no reason to push yourself. What will motivate you, is how good walking will make you feel. Be guided by your instincts.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jenna,
      I've definitely read other posts about strange noises after surgery. I get a "clink" once in a while. Sounds like metal hitting other metal. Hmmm. Anyway, I think if everything else is okay, it's nothing to worry about.

As far as walking, I've read the benchmark of 1 mile per month of recovery per day. So, at five weeks that would be 1.25 miles. You can break that up throughout the day. I wouldn't be surprised if you are walking that in your house. I was at that point.

Best,
      Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Thanks!your comments definately ease my worries.
        Jen,i've been emailing christine an although im a while off when im well enough we're going to meet for a coffee because we only live about an hour apart.
        27 yr old Female.
        Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
        Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
        Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

That's great Jenna, Christine is lovely! We have been emailing daily (internet penfriends!) for three years, since before her surgery, when she first emailed me asking about mine. One of the many friends I've made through Scoliosis, thanks to the internet.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X