• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New work on spinal cord injury using zebrafish

http://www.futurity.org/health-medic...l-cord-injury/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0706184353.htm
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

How amazing it would be if science could somehow replicate that for humans!
    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

This is a great find! I wonder if the same could be applied to a stretch injury causing paralysis since obviously axons have been broken. For some it might just break down to how the wound is managed in the ER. For others with older injuries there may be some technique of "disolving" the scar tissue, then treating the area appropriately. I saw another article cited within the ones you found that involved using one's own stem cells (found along the spine) to regenerate nerve growth. There definitely is some promising research out there. It's amazing what we find in nature!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Wow how amazing!
        We may be able to cure all spinal injuries including paryalasis!(that's sort of a stretch though but still possible right?)

Science these days. Just keeps gettin better and better!

Comment

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
          Wow how amazing!
          We may be able to cure all spinal injuries including paralysis!(that's sort of a stretch though but still possible right?)

Science these days. Just keeps getting better and better!
          Hey Kat,

Apparently paralysis is one of the things that scientists think will be helped by embryonic stem cell research. There are hundreds of thousands of frozen embryos that will never be implanted, some of which could be used for this research. Some parents donate their embryos for research rather than throw them out. One of the first things President Obama did when be became president was reverse Bush's ban on embryonic stem cell research. I assume that was because it is perverse to throw the unwanted embryos out rather than use a few for research that might help paralyzed kids, kids with whole body burns, etc. etc.

There is nothing more fascinating that science in my opinion. I exposed my girls to it their whole life and now they both want to be biology researchers. One thing that they did was have an entire ecosystem in a small kiddie pool in our backyard when we lived in Puerto Rico. They saw food webs in action and watched the frogs metamorphose. They fed the tadpoles and found out what they do and don't eat. They really like reptiles and might go to into herpetology research. So they were learning something about the real world while most of their friends were learning about imaginary worlds (many people in Puerto Rico are Catholic). I always felt sad for those other kids.

You sound interested in science. I am a working scientist and would be happy to answer any questions you might have about that as a career.
          Last edited by Pooka1; 09-11-2012, 12:01 PM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
          X