Kats surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kats surgery

Heyy guys well im in the hospital in admitted rite now a surgery is tomorrow soooo excited

Hi Kat,

You will do great. Your attitude will carry you.

With just the thoracic curve that you will get fixed now, this hopefully will be one-stop shopping for surgery for you. See what your surgeon says.

Good luck!!!!

Sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Can I have some of your awesome attitude? You will do well.
      Ask questions about anything that you are not sure about.
      Tell someone when you need pain medications.
      Hugs
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Best wishes for a great correction and smooth recovery Kat. I'm sure you're going to do just fine!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

You are going to do great,
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Three hours before surgery!!!! Soooo excited and super nervous that I can't stop shaking

Comment

Nearly there! Soon you'll be waking up with a new back!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi, Kat.
                You've already had your surgery by now. Sorry I haven't checked in sooner. I'm thinking about you and hoping that your pain is under control. We'll be anxious to hear from you when you are feeling better. ((((gentle hugs))))
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Hope all went well
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hey Kat - thinking of you, know you're in rough pain right now but do what you're supposed to do - walk, move, hydrate & nourish that body as it heals & you'll notice that every few days is so much better than those before. Each week will get easier. Keep up that great attitude, and know we're all rooting for you! Go Kat!
                    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Hope that you are doing well! I know that you are pretty overwhelmed with the whole thing, but with your attitude, you'll succeed. Can't wait to hear from you!!! SENDING WARM THOUGHTS YOUR WAY!
                      Susan
                      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Hi guys!!!
                        I am 1 week and 3 days post op I'll tell u my story

Admission day-
                        Did bloOd work
                        Gave urine samPle
                        Xrays
                        And I have to shower in this special shampoo

Surgery day-
                        I showered again in that shampoo to sterilize my body then they put wires on mr to meassure my nervous system. After that they gave my "happy juice" to calm me down( u guys who swear a lot should stop swearing before surgery because I rarely swear and I told my uncle to stop lying otherwise he will go to hell and I told him it's really hot over there lol XD) I don't remember anything after the happy juice

I woke up with some pain and I was like oh I need to go for my surgery and then after that my moms like its done and I was like it is?!!?

Then I said look mommy I can move my toes!!! Then I was begging my nurses to let me walk cuz Ifelt so stiff.... They didn't let me D:

At the worst moment my pain was 7.5-8.5( I mean there r a ton of other things more painful than this surgery keep that in mind) it's feels very sore and achey and stiff
                        I still have pain and that's really annoying it tends to stay around 3-6 (keep in mind u have a high pain tolerance)

I'm fused from t4-l1 with a 60* curve

I got my first period in the hospital (yip de do) awesome place to get the first on huh hehe
                        My mom thinks the catheter is the readin for the blood but I'm pretty sure ts my period although it was VERY light

If u have any quetions I'll be happy to answer but I have questions for YOU

How long will the pain last

One side of my rubs are A LOT smaller than the other side but will it still grow

Will my periods be regular?

Comment

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
                          Hi guys!!!
                          I am 1 week and 3 days post op I'll tell u my story

Admission day-
                          Did bloOd work
                          Gave urine samPle
                          Xrays
                          And I have to shower in this special shampoo

Surgery day-
                          I showered again in that shampoo to sterilize my body then they put wires on mr to meassure my nervous system. After that they gave my "happy juice" to calm me down( u guys who swear a lot should stop swearing before surgery because I rarely swear and I told my uncle to stop lying otherwise he will go to hell and I told him it's really hot over there lol XD) I don't remember anything after the happy juice

I woke up with some pain and I was like oh I need to go for my surgery and then after that my moms like its done and I was like it is?!!?

Then I said look mommy I can move my toes!!! Then I was begging my nurses to let me walk cuz Ifelt so stiff.... They didn't let me D:

At the worst moment my pain was 7.5-8.5( I mean there r a ton of other things more painful than this surgery keep that in mind) it's feels very sore and achey and stiff
                          I still have pain and that's really annoying it tends to stay around 3-6 (keep in mind u have a high pain tolerance)

I'm fused from t4-l1 with a 60* curve

I got my first period in the hospital (yip de do) awesome place to get the first on huh hehe
                          My mom thinks the catheter is the readin for the blood but I'm pretty sure ts my period although it was VERY light

If u have any quetions I'll be happy to answer but I have questions for YOU

How long will the pain last

One side of my rubs are A LOT smaller than the other side but will it still grow

Will my periods be regular?
                          Kat: You are totally awesome and I love your spirit!!!!! Re: periods....they are frequently light and sometimes irregular for the first year or so. Bummer that your started when you had your surgery, but surgery is a stressor...that's another reason that your period was light.

I will let people that had surgery respond to the pain question....but yes, it does get better, but you need to have patience. Everything needs to settle some and your body needs to get used to it's new shape.

Congratulations on doing so well, and thanks for posting.

Where is your hospital?

HUGS, Susan

Comment

Good news Kat, and I'm so glad to hear you're home and doing well! Keep up the good work, and remember that frequent, short walks are your friend. It seems strange at first when you hurt, but walking regularly does help.

Take care, thanks for letting us know how you are.
                            Gayle, age 50
                            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Kat! So glad you are on the other side!

You are doing everything right. I agree with walking as much as you can when you are home. That will help you turn the corner faster than anything.

Good work. :-)

Sharon
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X