Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One week post op for Jenna

Hello again,

This is Jennas mum posting a new thread to update all you kind people on her progress. Jenna is out of HDU and well on her way to recovery, she is as tall as me now and seems very strange to have her stood infront of me nose to nose. Massive problems getting the crippling pain under control but think she has got it in the bag now.First full standing x-ray yesterday and Jen could see for the first time how good the correction is (very emotional for us all), Im not going to tell you the exact level of correction I will let Jenna tell you the details and I am sure she will post pictures for you all to see and hopefully be encouraged by.Thank you again for all your kind support and words of encouragement its been worth its weight in gold.xx
    27 yr old Female.
    Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
    Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
    Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

I have read that thoracotomy surgery is the most painful thing a human can endure....and is probably what she had done with such a huge curve up high....she had a lot of work done, and is healing at a fast pace right now.

This is all going to be worth it.....totally necessary for Jenna. Don’t ever look back, always look forward with healing thoughts.

One day at a time...
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Jenna's Mum,

Thanks you so much for the update, and please tell her we are all thinking of her here!!

Glad to hear the pain is getting under control now.
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

So glad her pain is under control. She's over the worst part now, and well on her way to healing. One day at a time. Tell her to keep her eye on that light at the end of the tunnel. It's getting closer!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for posting for Jenna. Tell her we are all cheering her on to a smooth recovery. I'm glad they are getting her pain under control. I'm anxious to see her before and after pictures or x-rays.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I am glad that she is doing better
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

It's good to hear that she was able to be transfered out of HDU (ICU over here in the States). I hope she has a full and short recovery. She's young, yet. I'll bet it's quite strange for her to see herself standing so tall! Gentle hugs to her.
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

All the best of calm & healing to Jenna as she recovers.
                Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Tell Jenna we're thinking of her and hope she's feeling better.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Say hi to Jenna and tell her that we are so happy that she is doing well!!! She has such an awesome attitude! Give her a gentle hug from me!
                    Susan
                    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Best wishes to Jenna and thanks for posting, Jenna's mom.
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

It's so good to hear Jenna has finished surgery and is now doing better. It's a long process but she should be past the worst. I hope her recovery is steady and going in the right direction! Good luck! Janet
                        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Yay, Jenna! You go, girl! Can wait to see a before & after!! Take care of yourself.

Best,
                          Evelyn
                          age 48
                          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Hi guys,

Its Jenna! I'm home!

I had to spend nearly 3 weeks in hospital because they couldn't get my pain under control. I was told in the end that I had built up such a tolerance to pain medication it had crystalised into morphine in my system so the amounts of morphine they were giving me just wasn't working. I'm sure when I kept saying I needed stronger meds they didn't believe me. I'm managing now though and trying to get up as much as I can.

I have to have a cast on for 3 months so I'm trying to wear it an hour at a time then lay and rest then the same again each day.

I'm so so happy i'm on the other side :-) I kept having dreams in the hospital that I was preparing for surgery and counting down but then when I woke I realised it was all done. Such a nice feeling!

So, I don't have a picture on my after xray but am seing my surgeon on 12th sep so I'm going to try and get one then. I'm told my curves are down to 35* now, from about 105* and 60* so so happy. I swear though when you look at the xray my spine looks nearly perfect! I never thought I could have a spine so straight its a dream come true. Now all I have to do is get moving and get better. I have so much swelling, tingling and creaks when I move but I know I have to take it a day at a time.

My fusion is T1 to L5 and then I had my costioplast redone. They gave me an incision at the side, under my right arm, sort of under my boob and around (my bra will cover the incision) then my other incision is from the top of my neck down to my bum. They are healing really well and are so straight!. I'm such a happy bunny.
                            27 yr old Female.
                            Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                            Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                            Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

Congratulations Jenna. That three weeks must have been difficult, but oh so worth it for a result like this!

Your life is beginning again!
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X