To all of you who interviewed more than one surgeon, help me how to decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all of you who interviewed more than one surgeon, help me how to decide

I just read Gardenia's blog and know that she interviewed many doctors. I plan to do the same.
    How did any of you that interviewed more than one doctor decide on which doctor to go with?
    Was there a pivotal question that was especially good at sorting out the doctors?
    Did you have a list of questions, and could you send them to me?....if so, send me a PM, and I will send you my private email.

Thanks in advance as I am really struggling with this and want help.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

how to interview?

I don't know if this is important but I decided the minute I was in Dr Bridwell's presence that he is the one. I stayed until this week (initially a two weeks second visit that lasted to 6 wks because of blood tests that could have been done in parallel with other tests. I was there one week early and one week extra after missing my scheduled flight back $150 penalty for United but with doctor's letter they will refund some).

I see why Dr. Bridwell has a shorter wait than Dr. Lenke's schedule of one year ahead. A lot of things happen when we are older. I am more sure of Dr. Bridwell because the man talks to the xrays and one can tell he knows and wants to be totally positively sure before cutting.

On the visit, as he came in, he said: do you or do you not have diabetes? I said: fortunately not!!! His comment was that a another doctor (I think that they all consult each other frequently as they all work for the Wash University) and a recent surgery involving a patient with Diabetes was having complications.

My daughter is a second year medical research graduate student. She graduated from UCLA and was accepted by all the schools she applied (except Stanford but that was because of what she wanted to specialize). Her 2 top schools were UCSF and WashU. Both my girls were born in northern California and attended the UC schools. UCSF was her dream but at the last minute a couple of my opinion and her visits made her choose WashU.

1. Cost of living
    2. California is extremely competitive
    3. WashU seems to be lab organization friendly where they all collaborated with each other
    4. A State Funded versus a private school

The point is that she is very happy to have chosen Washu because when she or her lab needs a sample, data, vision, microscope, research database etc, everything was just down the hall. Meetings within PI (principal investigators i..e. head of reseach labs) were often. Graduate students can work in one or more labs to get to his/her thesis.

And, this is to say that Bridwell who trained Lenke must be working closely. They share a lot of studies (tracking patients results). This is not a private practice as the surgeons (same as UCSF) are not there to make money nor the hospital. They exist in order to publish the next accomplishment, the next idea or change in procedure, they improve each time. They need us the patients as guinea pigs for a better future and research not of pocket gain.

I am so convinced in this facility that I have no doubts nor anxieties about the surgery. I know that I am in good hands. The recovery is up to me and my body, mind, and spirits.

This is not a simple matter, we are doing something major and could fail in some ways. My route with Dr Bridwell although accidents can happen, is like buying extra insurance.

Good luck to all. If you need more, please write to me here or directly since I have not been checking...
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

Sometimes it just boils down to your gut. Who do you feel more comfortable with? Of course, out of pocked costs and hospital reputation always come into consideration too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

i think it depends on your gut. I chose the doctor that looked at my spine as an individual case, and not taking my case as a "text book" case. He thought about different decisions, and talked me through all of my options. Others that I saw just looked at one xray and made a decision. Not taking into consideration flexibiity, bending xrays etc... So i chose that way. GL!

Comment

I chose the doctor with the most experience with adult scoliosis patients. Not teens and not spines generally. So the only question that really mattered to me was: "How many adult scoliosis surgeries do you do each year?" (That was after I made sure they accepted my insurance, of course.) Dr. Lenke did my surgery; I think he does about 2 adults per week. That compares with my local SRS surgeon who did 25 spinal fusions a year--including teens.

Best,
          Evelyn
          age 48
          80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
          Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
          Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
          Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
          Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by gardenia View Post
            I don't know if this is important but I decided the minute I was in Dr Bridwell's presence that he is the one. I stayed until this week (initially a two weeks second visit that lasted to 6 wks because of blood tests that could have been done in parallel with other tests. I was there one week early and one week extra after missing my scheduled flight back $150 penalty for United but with doctor's letter they will refund some).

I see why Dr. Bridwell has a shorter wait than Dr. Lenke's schedule of one year ahead. A lot of things happen when we are older. I am more sure of Dr. Bridwell because the man talks to the xrays and one can tell he knows and wants to be totally positively sure before cutting.

On the visit, as he came in, he said: do you or do you not have diabetes? I said: fortunately not!!! His comment was that a another doctor (I think that they all consult each other frequently as they all work for the Wash University) and a recent surgery involving a patient with Diabetes was having complications.

My daughter is a second year medical research graduate student. She graduated from UCLA and was accepted by all the schools she applied (except Stanford but that was because of what she wanted to specialize). Her 2 top schools were UCSF and WashU. Both my girls were born in northern California and attended the UC schools. UCSF was her dream but at the last minute a couple of my opinion and her visits made her choose WashU.

1. Cost of living
            2. California is extremely competitive
            3. WashU seems to be lab organization friendly where they all collaborated with each other
            4. A State Funded versus a private school

The point is that she is very happy to have chosen Washu because when she or her lab needs a sample, data, vision, microscope, research database etc, everything was just down the hall. Meetings within PI (principal investigators i..e. head of reseach labs) were often. Graduate students can work in one or more labs to get to his/her thesis.

And, this is to say that Bridwell who trained Lenke must be working closely. They share a lot of studies (tracking patients results). This is not a private practice as the surgeons (same as UCSF) are not there to make money nor the hospital. They exist in order to publish the next accomplishment, the next idea or change in procedure, they improve each time. They need us the patients as guinea pigs for a better future and research not of pocket gain.

I am so convinced in this facility that I have no doubts nor anxieties about the surgery. I know that I am in good hands. The recovery is up to me and my body, mind, and spirits.

This is not a simple matter, we are doing something major and could fail in some ways. My route with Dr Bridwell although accidents can happen, is like buying extra insurance.

Good luck to all. If you need more, please write to me here or directly since I have not been checking...
            Thanks for your information. I hope that I get to the "no anxiety" point also.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your input. It is helpful to try and understand this decision. When I look in the mirror, I see a body that appears to be listing to the right and leaning backwards more each month. I am not looking forward to hearing the news about change in my spine when I have my xrays done again in Jan 2013. I want to be prepared to go for a second opinion as it is reasonable for me to have the surgery either here or at UCSF [my son and dau-in-law are nurse practitioners and lives in Oakland].
              Again, I appreciate your taking the time to share your decision-making.
              Susan

Comment

Who's done the most surgeries in NY?

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                I chose the doctor with the most experience with adult scoliosis patients. Not teens and not spines generally. So the only question that really mattered to me was: "How many adult scoliosis surgeries do you do each year?" (That was after I made sure they accepted my insurance, of course.) Dr. Lenke did my surgery; I think he does about 2 adults per week. That compares with my local SRS surgeon who did 25 spinal fusions a year--including teens.

Best,
                Evelyn
                Hi all,
                Evelyn makes a good point. Other than Boachie (he doesn't take my insurance), does anyone know who does the most adults in NY? And how closely behind the other NY surgeons would rank? Thanks.
                Lisa
                60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
                58 years old

Comment

Dr. Fabian Bitan in NYC does many deformity surgeries. He actually trained with Cotrel in Paris.
                  1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
                  2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
                  3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
                  4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
                  I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

For NYC, there's Dr. Baron Lonner (he did my surgery), Dr. Errico at NYU. Those were the ones I saw. I know there are a few others but those are places to start. Do. Lonner does 2-3 adult surgeries per week.

I saw 5 different doctors who all said the same thing. Since everyone had the same opinion, I chose the doctor I felt the most comfortable with and the one who answered all of my questions. It would have been harder to choose if they had had different opinions.

You'll find the right one!
                    T4-Sacrum fusion, with pelvic fixation in January 2015, Dr. Lonner in NYC
                    10 osteotomies, rotation from 25 to 2
                    Diagnosed at age 11 with double curve, 36 and 45 degrees, Braced for 2.5 years
                    At time of surgery, curves were 45 and 65 degrees
                    Chronic back pain, worsening, since age 11
                    Tried every pain management procedure, acupuncture, chiropractor, physical therapy ever created
                    Mom of 2 cuties!

Comment

You are being so nice, but those are really old posts (2012) ... I don't think anyone is asking right now.
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Working...
                      X