Infrared device (like Light Relief) for pain relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrared device (like Light Relief) for pain relief

Has anyone used the LightRelief infrared device, or any other infrared device for that matter. I am considering it for persistent hip/sciatica-like pain after having fusion with BMP. My surgery was in April and I still have symptoms, albeit better with Gabapentin. I would like to come off the Gabapentin and was wondering if anyone has used the infrared devices and if it relieved your pain. Supposedly it reduces inflammation by means of heat that penetrates deeper down. My surgeon said it wouldn't help, but still think it might be worth the small investment if it provided some relief. Thanks very much.

Susan,

Your situation sounds very similar to mine. Fusion with BMP in April with leg/hip sciatic pain....looking for pain relief....also taking gabapentin. Pain management Dr. mentioned a spinal cord stimulator....not sure if possible for a full spinal fusion patient.

Pam
    Pam, age 49
    Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
    April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
    T-3 to sacrum

Comment

Thanks for your response. Please let me know how you are doing. To compare notes -- my fusion with BMP was L4-5 and L5-S1, and my pain has changed since early on when it was relentless and would not let me sleep. Now I sleep pretty well, and feel fine in the mornings; the pain usually returns around mid-day as I sit at my job (which is very sedentary). I am taking a 300 mg. dose of gabapentin every day and a half (Monday am/Tuesday pm/Thursday am) -- but now am trying to reduce it to 200 mg. at the same interval. At this point over 3 months postop I am also starting to take herbal anti-inflammatory pills. But was wanting to see if anyone got relief with one of these infrared devices. Doctors usually don't go for this stuff, but then again, they don't have much else to offer for pain. So, please let me know how you are doing -- at what levels did you have BMP, if anything is helping you, and if you have that spinal cord stimulator, please let me know how it goes. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by SusanG View Post
        Thanks for your response. Please let me know how you are doing. To compare notes -- my fusion with BMP was L4-5 and L5-S1, and my pain has changed since early on when it was relentless and would not let me sleep. Now I sleep pretty well, and feel fine in the mornings; the pain usually returns around mid-day as I sit at my job (which is very sedentary). I am taking a 300 mg. dose of gabapentin every day and a half (Monday am/Tuesday pm/Thursday am) -- but now am trying to reduce it to 200 mg. at the same interval. At this point over 3 months postop I am also starting to take herbal anti-inflammatory pills. But was wanting to see if anyone got relief with one of these infrared devices. Doctors usually don't go for this stuff, but then again, they don't have much else to offer for pain. So, please let me know how you are doing -- at what levels did you have BMP, if anything is helping you, and if you have that spinal cord stimulator, please let me know how it goes. Thanks again!
        Hi Susan,

Are you working part-time or full-time? I haven't had a surgery yet, but my doctor said that I can return to work part-time in 3-4 months and full time after 6 months. Since your job is sedentary and you're only 3 months post-op, may this is what contributes to your pain? Sorry I can't give you any useful advice, but just hope that your pain is temporary and will go away soon.
        Last edited by Irina; 07-30-2012, 04:37 PM.
        I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
        45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
        A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

just a question....
          are you sure you can use somethng that is supposed to
          create heat when you have rods in your spine...?
          i was told not to use such a device on a foot that has
          a wire in it, surgically placed there.....
          was told it could actually cause wire to heat up....

maybe that is not a danger with rods....
          just asking...
          also....sounds like you are just 3 months out from surgery...
          wouldn't pain still be expected....?

jess

Comment

Hi Irina...

Just wanted to clarify something... EVERYONE is different. Some people get back to work as quickly as 1 month postop, and some people take years, or even never get back to work. I was back to work full time by 4 months post op. There aren't really any restrictions, although you'll be advised not to spend a lot of time sitting for the first 3 months.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for the responses. To clarify, I had the major surgery, being fused T3-S1 back in December and by April was feeling a lot better, off pain medications altogether. The April surgery was just to bolster the bottom two levels and where the BMP was used. So I am actually 7 months postop the major surgery and 3 1/2 months postop the smaller surgery, which is when my pain began, and for which I am now taking the Gabapentin. I went back to work in late May, full time.

Thanks for the comment about the infrared device causing heat -- I was thinking of placing it over my hip area, not near my spine. But a good thing to consider in any event.

Comment

Working...
              X