Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For People With Pain and Only Small Curves

Hi...

We frequently hear from people who have small scoliosis curves, but who complain of a lot of pain. For those people, a new Phase 3 trial might be of interest. The trial is being undertaken by Spinal Restoration, using their Biostat System. According to their website, a lot of back pain patients can't be accurately diagnosed using neurologic evaluation and imaging studies. That is, these patient's spines look and act normal, with the exception that they have pain. They believe that applying their fibrin sealant to a suspected disc can alleviate pain in these patients, by sealing disc disruptions, thus reducing inflammation.

The clinical trial is showing as not recruiting for some reason, but there are 20 centers around the U.S. that are participating, so you might want to contact one of them.

You can read about the trial here.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Linda, if the tx is for discs....why does the size of the curve(s) matter.....???
    i don't understand....

jess

Comment

Awesome! Enough of us have "complained" that people are actually starting to listen!
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

When I looked over the study criteria, it said nothing about scoliosis at all. They are looking for people with low back pain associated with a disc that don't have significant bulging, rupture, or shrinkage of the disc and without stenosis that aren't helped by epidural injections of steroids. Now I'm bummed.
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

it sounds like they want people who have pain that seems like disc pain but
          that doesn't show up as anything on radiology evaluations....

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            it sounds like they want people who have pain that seems like disc pain but
            that doesn't show up as anything on radiology evaluations....

jess
            Yep, our cries for help go unheard.
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

It has nothing to do with scoliosis. I posted it because we've heard from several people who claim to have a lot of pain, but have very small curves. In those cases, I seriously doubt that scoliosis has anything to do with the pain. In fact, the scoliosis might be because of the pain. What they're saying is that there are people out there who, up until now, seemingly have no apparent reason for pain. They believe they've found a potential reason.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I posted something from Dr. Hey about how he says small curves with trunk shifts can be painful. Maybe these folks all have trunk shifts?
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I think I'm probably not making myself clear. The referenced treatment is NOT specifically for scoliosis patients. They are talking about patients who have pain, but have no clinical or radiological explanation for that pain. Because we have several members who have very small curves and a lot of pain, I thought this might be of interest to them, because a small scoliosis curve wouldn't typically be the cause of their pain.

--Linda

Comment

Diagnosis of symptomatic lumbar (L1-L2 - L5-S1) internal disc disruption (IDD), which requires confirmation of discogenic pain at one or two contiguous levels through positive provocation discography performed between 18 months and 2 weeks prior to the study procedure using pressure manometry and identification of an adjacent nonpainful disc.

This sounds like this is a discogram?

I thought that these were being phased out due to long term disc damage? Hmmm....

I guess non-scolis are being submitted to the tortures that we have to be submitted to..... At least its not the “Algerian Hook”.

I wish they wouldn’t use the word “sealant”. It has an industrial sound to it. Use another name.

“Fix a flat” is a sealant....(smiley face)

Ed
                    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

i have read that discograms....discography...is very painful....
                      i have DDD that shows up in all radiology i have had done...
                      but if i needed a discogram to prove i had bad discs...i would skip it...
                      i do not understand any "profession" that proclaims to "do no harm"....
                      and then does harm....

jess

Comment

If its obvious that you need to be fused all the way down, you can skip it.

Its a method of finding the pain source.

Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Ed...

There are a lot fewer discograms done these days than there were 2 years ago, but it's still a helpful procedure in instances where patients describe pain, but where there aren't any neurologic or radiographic reasons for the pain. In those cases, I think some surgeons feel it's better to risk the discogram than to fuse a level that appears to be healthy.

--Linda

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                            I think I'm probably not making myself clear. The referenced treatment is NOT specifically for scoliosis patients. They are talking about patients who have pain, but have no clinical or radiological explanation for that pain. Because we have several members who have very small curves and a lot of pain, I thought this might be of interest to them, because a small scoliosis curve wouldn't typically be the cause of their pain.

--Linda
                            Thank you for your clarification. The title of the thread was a little misleading is all. It is specifically for people with low back pain of unknown origin.
                            Last edited by rohrer01; 07-20-2012, 11:01 PM.
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              Hi Ed...

There are a lot fewer discograms done these days than there were 2 years ago, but it's still a helpful procedure in instances where patients describe pain, but where there aren't any neurologic or radiographic reasons for the pain. In those cases, I think some surgeons feel it's better to risk the discogram than to fuse a level that appears to be healthy.

--Linda
                              I've read about this procedure and I'd have to be in a heck of a LOT of pain to subject myself to it. I can't imagine having that much pain with no noticeable pathology and to risk causing pathology trying to find it????

I will admit that I have way more lumbar pain than I should for the pathology that I have. I still wouldn't consider this. I'd rather take a pain pill.
                              Last edited by rohrer01; 07-20-2012, 11:02 PM. Reason: added thought
                              Be happy!
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                              X