Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you or your parents reacted when your child or you was told you need surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you or your parents reacted when your child or you was told you need surgery?

PARENTS-how did u reacted when you were told ur child needed surgery and did you go for the surgery and why

KIDS/TEENS- how did your patents reacted when u were told you needed scoliosis surgery and did they go for the surgery and why

Thank u!

Me- my parents were crying and three months later I was in a brace at 53* then two months later I jumped to 59* so we went for surgery but my parents still feel bad about it they arent really excited that I'm having surgery :/ so I feel bad that I going through surgery

Originally posted by Kat3573 View Post
    PARENTS-how did u reacted when you were told ur child needed surgery and did you go for the surgery and why
    I was gutted. I went for the surgery because I had two experienced surgeons claiming it was the right thing to do. I faced facts. I'm the adult responsible for the kid.

Me- my parents were crying and three months later I was in a brace at 53* then two months later I jumped to 59* so we went for surgery but my parents still feel bad about it they arent really excited that I'm having surgery :/ so I feel bad that I going through surgery
    I understand your feelings but it's not like you are trying to be surgical. It's not your fault. Life is unfair.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      I was gutted. I went for the surgery because I had two experienced surgeons claiming it was the right thing to do. I faced facts. I'm the adult responsible for the kid.

I understand your feelings but it's not like you are trying to be surgical. It's not your fault. Life is unfair.
      I yoke to this one girl who had the surgery by the same doctor she told me clowns came in a told jokes and sang for her and pet therapy came in and stuff an my parents saw how excited I was and the girl was younger than me and was at 50* so now they know it's the rite hung so now I'm actually proud that I'm going through surgery

I faced the crap and accepted the fact that I need rods and now like to the past with the brace and the pain and brusies I feel like I earned te rite to be proud of my back

I am who I am and nothing can change me only surgery I'm proud of my back and I wouldn't change it only through surgery cuz that's how it is

My future scar is my trophy

Comment

Post of the month nomination

Kat, you are wise beyond your years. Facing facts is a skill that will serve you throughout life. You are already a star. :-)

I yoke to this one girl who had the surgery by the same doctor she told me clowns came in a told jokes and sang for her and pet therapy came in and stuff an my parents saw how excited I was and the girl was younger than me and was at 50* so now they know it's the rite hung so now I'm actually proud that I'm going through surgery

I faced the crap and accepted the fact that I need rods and now like to the past with the brace and the pain and brusies I feel like I earned te rite to be proud of my back

I am who I am and nothing can change me only surgery I'm proud of my back and I wouldn't change it only through surgery cuz that's how it is

My future scar is my trophy
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I will tell u I am younger than 15
          Idk everything just seems obvious to me

Comment

I will tell u I am younger than 15
            Idk everything just seems obvious to me
            You seem to have the insight and smarts that many of my 30 year old friends don't have! Your attitude is awesome....I wish that you could clone it!
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Parents had the better reaction....

When I first got diagnosed with scoliosis, the doctors basically presented me with two options: surgery or a brace. I was in taekwondo at the time and was really close to earning my black belt so I put it off and wore the brace. About two years passed by and shortly after I got my black belt, my parents suggested that I should go ahead and have the surgery. The doctor agreed because he didn't want me dealing with it as an adult but I was like, "No, no, no." I don't like being put under and didn't like that the recovery was 2 weeks long. I finally came around because I had to stop being selfish and think about what was best for my body and my life.

Comment

Hi Kat,

I found out I had scoliosis at 12yrs old. My parents were gutted, my scoliosis was too far advanced for a brace and my mum inparticularly thought that it was her fault, she did something wrong or 'made me wrong'. The surgeon explained that in his opinion he felf surgery was the best thing for me, he explained how the scoliois might get worse and I would suffer breathing difficulties and maybe end up in a wheelchair.
                I decided that I wanted to have the most normal life possible and if rods were going to stabilise my spine and help me to avoid the above I would go for it.
                My parents didn't want me to have to go through surgery but understood my decision. 15 yrs on and i'm putting them through it again :-/ I'm having a full fusion on Thursday, I feel really bad I'm putting them through such stress and worry but they love me and support my decision.
                x
                27 yr old Female.
                Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

how did your patents reacted when u were told you needed scoliosis surgery and did they go for the surgery and why well i was told i needed surgery when i was 17 but didnt hae my surgery until i was 18. I think my mom was scared. my dad was sad. I was thinking thank god after 6 or 7 years of having scoliosis i was really to tacle down the curve
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

How did we as parents react? Tears & disbelief briefly, not in front of our son. Then immediately jumped into learning everything we could to make the best decision about his health & future... You do what you have to do, for us there was no choice - only surgery, which was good. Our son didn't want to know much of anything about what to expect, which served him well - everyone is different. But I as a mom found out everything I could to be prepared for surgery & afterwards, thanks to everyone on this board posting what they needed, what they wanted, & what helped make a difference in their comfort.
                    Hopefully your mom will look thru the board here, as well as contact any of us if she wants, to help HER be the best prepared for YOU. Kat, I think it's wonderful you've got your mind set on straight, to just deal w this & get it over & done with & get on with your life. Keep that up!
                    LeighAnn
                    Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
                    Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
                    Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
                    Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
                    photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

Working...
                    X