Pilates Miracle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    Please understand that NOBOY would choose surgery if they really had a choice. That would be insane.
    I am in contact with a mother whose son progressed rapidly and now has no choice. Ravaging, progressing scoliosis can be horrendous--I agree 100% with that mother's choice to schedule surgery. I would do the same myself as a last resort. I am not anti-surgery in those circumstances. Not at all.

The problem I see is that you are trying to extrapolate to inapproriate cases.
    I have never done that. What I do so see though is people extrapolating the NEED to have surgery to inappropriate cases when the condition COULD be treated without surgery. E.g, to paraphrase, 'Exercise won't stop progression.' Mehta, for example, believes that ADOLESCENTS with scoliosis can avoid progression and surgery. That is the nub of this issue: when is surgery the only realistic choice; when is exercise an alternative choice. Exercise simply will not work, IMO, for less than totally committed attempts by those, say, above 35 degrees. Lesser attempts may work for those in the grey zone between 20 - 30 degrees (there is a postural percentage in every scoliotic curve, and that can corrected with less than optimal input). As you know, I believe the commitment required to correct higher end curves must be considerable. Surgery, for some, is a better option for some that making that commitment.

That and publicly implying a respected surgeon is wacky but let's leave that aside for now.
    Far from implying he's wacky, his peer respect rating shot up. Enlightened bloke.

Other methods DO NOT APPLY to the surgical cases as far as anyone can say for sure. So for now they are irrelevant. They are orthogonal.
    Clearly the other methods do apply. Tamzin, 40 - 44 degrees at age 10, 100% "likely to progress...rapidly." Some say that because she's JIS, it's different. That is a wild, irresponsible, assumption. (Cf., how many AIS are JIS. Late diagnosed early onset scoliosis kids is a way to look at it.) Tamzin is not alone: adults and older kids I am in contact with are correcting their scoliosis, despite their classifications are "100% likely to progress". All that in no way disagrees with the unanimously accepted obvious fact that for many, there is no bloody choice except surgery.

There is a great divide between parents of surgical cases and parents of non-surgical cases. It is completely a function of whether the child is surgical. I fear that divide is not crossable.
    The divide does not exist in the minds of the enlightened. E.g., most of the folk I'm in contact with have in the back of their minds that if exercise doesn't work, surgery will be the result.

Finally, this site is NOT anti-PT though it might seem that way because asking for data is sometimes perceived as being negative. Except for McIntire, we are just a random bunch of lay folks adrift is desert of data.
    The desert of data is partly due to the necessity of actively treating kids with exercise while the clock ticks. E.g., I have no time to piss about waiting for some half-assed research by Weiss et al to prove the Nuba-f^_&****-catwalk corrects thoracic rotation. As you have posted, there are many eedjit researchers and surgeons out there. There are also many eedjit parents out there who listen to eedjit medics or who are just eedjits in their own right. :-) Some of these "random lay folks" are privy to data that researchers and scientists will never have. E.g., Tamzin trains her proprioception all day, her muscles all day, straightens her bones all day. I see the results, all day. I have more experience of seeing these exercise methods in practice than the theorists who devised some of the methods. I am far from unique--many parents have the same experience.

Last, I am sorry my description of what scolisois was doing to my daughter bothered you. After seeing how much it bothered you, I wish I had stated it differently.
    This is an emotional subject--I was concerned by the effect that term could have on other parents or on kids themselves. I am attuned to the feelings of others. As for me personally, I am a robot and only get bothered when it affects other people, not me. To rephrase, I too am aware that 'the dorsal rib arch' or 'prominent rear ribs' can cause embarrassment, ridicule, disgusting prejudice, etc. Language, when it perpetuates prejudice, makes me act. I would not have my daughter compromised by a severely twisted body--she would have surgery and that compromise would be a better option than the alternative. Where that line is drawn, I do not know. I have worked out with a mother with scoliosis, 55 degrees T curve--she looks like superwoman! Tamzin worked out with a 17 yr old girl in London, T55, L27--simply couldn't tell she had scoliosis when she was walking around (only apparent to the non-acquainted when she bent forward).

It's really about salvaging the hope of a future in my opinion.
    And that is a commendable aim, one achieved for many BY SURGERY.

I appreciate your concern about the description, consider it restated. :-)

Tom
    07/11: (10yrs) T40, L39, pelvic tilt, rotation T15 & L11
    11/11: Chiari 1 & syrinx, T35, L27, pelvis 0
    05/12: (11yrs) stopped brace, assessed T&L 25 - 30...>14lbs , >8 cm
    12/12: < 25 LC & TC, >14 cms, >20 lbs, neuro symptoms abated, but are there
    05/13: (12yrs) <25, >22cms height, puberty a year ago

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

first surgeon i consulted with used the word "hunchback"
      i told him i did not need to hear that from a surgeon.....
      i didn't like the guy for several reasons...
      but the word only surprised me coming out of a doctor's mouth...

i do not consider words like humpback or hunchback shocking or offensive....
      i do expect more from doctors and from knowledgable people
      i have not seen any of these discussions sinking to potty mouthed language....
      and i see no anonymous posts from anyone...not sure how that could even work...

i believe each parent does what they believe is best for their child...
      sad that it is often needed and required surgery...but it would be a lot worse
      if that surgery were not possible or available...
      and i know there is no parent who takes the decision for surgery lightly....

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
        [COLOR="#0000CD"]first surgeon i consulted with used the word "hunchback"
        i told him i did not need to hear that from a surgeon.....
        i didn't like the guy for several reasons...
        but the word only surprised me coming out of a doctor's mouth...
        I hope folks understand I was speaking of my own daughter and I deliberately did NOT sugar coat my comments because people on the street will not either. I wanted to make sure I was getting the point across of how cruel it would be to deny surgery to these children. Asher is not capable of that type of cruelty in my opinion... he has a long track record of helping kids. I am considering emailing him to give him a chance to defend himself. This will turn out to be a misunderstanding.

Apologies to anyone who was offended.... I was making a point.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by TAMZTOM View Post
          What I do so see though is people extrapolating the NEED to have surgery to inappropriate cases when the condition COULD be treated without surgery.
          Tom,

If the researchers don't know this then how can you know it? Is there a single case where a conservative treatment has been shown to avoid surgery for life in any kid?

And on the issue of JIS versus AIS, I agree there is some failure to accurately rule out JIS in some AIS cases. I do think there is a cavalier aspect to the assignation of AIS versus JIS in 10 year old kids. But I have to assume to has been ruled out in most cases or else they would not be able to say most cases are AIS. Their field, not mine.

And then we can ask if the data in hand support the idea that JIS and AIS respond differently to conservative treatments. I have not done research on this because this is not my field. All I have is the testimonials where we see several cases of actual decreases in JIS with conservative treatment and not a single case of a decrease in AIS. Not one. Nor is there any in the literature such that natural history can be ruled out. That looks pretty different from JIS to my uneducated eye.

There is NO instance on the forum to my knowledge of an AIS case reducing anything close to what Tamzin did. NONE.

I can't prove JIS is a different animal than AIS but the researchers seem to think it groups away from AIS and groups with IIS. They must have reasons. Doesn't mean they are right. It certainly isn't scandalous to claim it as you have implied. Rather it's what the evidence presently points towards. I'm just saying the testimonials on this group map to that thinking. It's all worthless anecdote but it is what it is.

Best regards,
          Sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

If the researchers don't know this then how can you know it? Is there a single case where a conservative treatment has been shown to avoid surgery for life in any kid?
            Yes, Martha Hawes will never have surgery. 1000s of treated kids in Europe (Schroth, Karski Poland, etc., Min Mehta in London with side-shifting) have not had surgery. It is pedantic to ask for "entire life" research when society spends more on McDonalds than treating unfortunate kids. E.g., I have a few years to try to avoid surgery for my kid; many parents of older kids are doing the same. Side-shifting has evidence of success; TR has evidence for success; Schroth, Dobomed, Seas, Fits...Klapp...etc., have evidence of success. Evidence is not only research results. I and others sift what has been SHOWN to work; we try to make it work better that it ever could for at least one-step removed 'experts', orthotists or surgeons. In our privileged positions as parents, we have the kids all day. In one year, Tamzin, for example, unloads her curves (factor of progression), derotates (FOP), corrects her curves (FOP), has redressed some of the asymmetric musculature (FOP)...etc.
            I have friends who have remained at 50 degrees curvature all their adult lives. They are now actively CORRECTING. If I were being pedantic, I'd ask, how many surgery cases can you point out that would have progressed? The question is just as daft--folk make decisions to have or decline surgery based on the information and lifestyles they have at the time. I respect those bloody tough decisions.

And on the issue of JIS versus AIS, I agree there is some failure to accurately rule out JIS in some AIS cases. I do think there is a cavalier aspect to the assignation of AIS versus JIS in 10 year old kids. But I have to assume to has been ruled out in most cases or else they would not be able to say most cases are AIS. Their field, not mine.
            Even in our limited experience we've experienced utterly irresponsible variations in diagnosis. The obvious facts from even the parents in here and those I am in constant contact with is that the medical profession lags science, is negligent and, yes, cavalier.

And then we can ask if the data in hand support the idea that JIS and AIS respond differently to conservative treatments. I have not done research on this because this is not my field. All I have is the testimonials where we see several cases of actual decreases in JIS with conservative treatment and not a single case of a decrease in AIS. Not one. Nor is there any in the literature such that natural history can be ruled out. That looks pretty different from JIS to my uneducated eye.
            Sharon, how can you say that! "...not a single case of a decrease in AIS." Have you read the above papers? And in here, I've READ reports from parents that their kids are through the peak growth spurts and have stabilized or corrected. Many just disappear when THEIR kids are no longer in imminent danger. I wish they would hang around and share their experience. (Long after Tamzin has been through her growth spurts, I will still be posting in here hoping that some folk can benefit a little--especially when it's first diagnosed--from our journey whether that be successful or not.

There is NO instance on the forum to my knowledge of an AIS case reducing anything close to what Tamzin did. NONE.
            Again, the line between AIS and JIS is blurred at best. It is an unproven assumption that there is any substantial difference. Karski, for example, argues that all are cases of early onset, just that they manifest later or are not discovered early enough.

I can't prove JIS is a different animal than AIS but the researchers seem to think it groups away from AIS and groups with IIS. They must have reasons. Doesn't mean they are right. It certainly isn't scandalous to claim it as you have implied. Rather it's what the evidence presently points towards. I'm just saying the testimonials on this group map to that thinking. It's all worthless anecdote but it is what it is.
            I agree with what you've said here. As you know, I do not jump on the bracing bandwagon, the exercise bandwagon, or the surgical bandwagon. I research what I can and make my own decisions where there is no proof. The evidence points towards exercise having the potential to save many kids from surgery. Many who try this will not succeed. Many who try this will succeed in avoiding surgery. I feel sorry for the kids who are not afforded an opportunity to succeed. This is the fault of competing financial interest and lack of public interest. It's a disproportionately female condition--is there something in that? It's also turning out to be a billion dollar industry--the professional, money-making infighting between bracers, exercisers and surgeons make me want to vomit. Just help the kids.

Avoid 'faith' in 'experts'. “In consequence of this error many persons pass for normal, and indeed for highly valuable members of society, who are incurably mad...”

Comment

Yes, Martha Hawes will never have surgery.
              Martha Hawes is a JIS case. (You are making my point. :-) ) Maybe the yoga woman and the SEAS woman also are JIS cases, who knows. There has to be some reason these cases aren't more numerous. Invoking JIS versus AIS is a possible reason (see below). Hawes seems to have accomplished her correction through an indirect means (expanded the chest cavity and imagery to prove it). I hope she can continue her PT the rest of her life as I hoep for the yoga woman and the SEAS woman.

Sharon, how can you say that! "...not a single case of a decrease in AIS." Have you read the above papers?
              Tom, there are no long term studies to my knowledge.

Again, the line between AIS and JIS is blurred at best. It is an unproven assumption that there is any substantial difference. Karski, for example, argues that all are cases of early onset, just that they manifest later or are not discovered early enough.
              That a good hypothesis too. I don't know how researchers distinguish between the different hypotheses. They must have a way that we don't know about. There must be some reason why they group IIS, JIS, ans aAIS as they do. Not saying it is right but I bet they have reasons.

I agree with what you've said here. As you know, I do not jump on the bracing bandwagon, the exercise bandwagon, or the surgical bandwagon. I research what I can and make my own decisions where there is no proof. The evidence points towards exercise having the potential to save many kids from surgery. Many who try this will not succeed. Many who try this will succeed in avoiding surgery. I feel sorry for the kids who are not afforded an opportunity to succeed. This is the fault of competing financial interest and lack of public interest. It's a disproportionately female condition--is there something in that? It's also turning out to be a billion dollar industry--the professional, money-making infighting between bracers, exercisers and surgeons make me want to vomit. Just help the kids.
              I might agree that there is a chicken-egg issue here w.r.t. PT. But then there is Weiss and his ten year, ~30,000 (I'm assuming largely AIS and adult) patient experiment. Whatever anyone thinks of Weiss personally, he can do competent research and he can write it up in a peer-reviewed, publishable format. The unavoidable question then is why hasn't he shown PT avoids surgery? As late as a few years ago, he basically admitted it hasn't been shown. He would arguably have the Nobel by now if he showed it. Just my little opinion.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------
                I am weary about OVER exercise......My father over exercised himself, had a cardiovascular system that would make superman jealous and ended up with ALS. I have no proof, there is no proof, just an assumption. I thought about posting on the ALS boards, but its just too difficult. He was also a scoli. (50 degree single thoracic curve)

Ed
                Ed, my dad wasn't a scoli as far as I know but his mom was. I also think he died of ALS. ALL of they symptoms were there. When they first started, I discussed it with some of the bio people at the university. They thought definitely muscular dystrophy of some sort at the time. Then it sped up so fast it just blew my mind. He had dystrophy symptoms in his legs for years. But the onset of the progressive symptoms took about 8 or 9 years to take his life. No one cared because he was in his 70's. Heck, that's YOUNG! His doctors wouldn't pursue it despite my begging him and his wife. They said it was all the mini-strokes. BLAH! Sorry to be off topic here. It's just frustrating!
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

I'm jumping in here late. I just want to defend the surgeons here a little bit. I haven't seen one single surgeon who EVER told me not to exercise. When I was a teen, the first thing that they did was put me in PT. I have an extremely exercise resistant curve, unbracable curve, and painful curve. I still exercise. It's not my fault that it has progressed. I agree exercise is good for everyone IF they can do it. For me, it takes a large amount of pain medicine to get into an exercise program until the effects of the pain relieving factors of that program start working. This time, I've been at it seriously for three months and it has had NO effect on pain levels as I had hoped. Granted, it's good for me so I'll keep it up. My surgeon would NEVER tell me to stop. I think it's unfair to say that the surgical industry is such a money maker that surgeons discourage exercise. It just simply doesn't work in every case.

As far as Sharon's statement; some may find it offensive. If they do, it's because that's how they are feeling inside, and it hurts. My deformities, I'm told, aren't obvious at all. So why do I feel so hideous at times? Imagine the inner feelings of those who really do have very obvious deformities. All you have to do is read some of the posts on here from people suffering from very low self-esteem. I wouldn't go and call them "hunchback". Sharon was merely pointing out that her daughter's deformity was that bad and she looked and felt that way. It wasn't name calling. At least I didn't take it that way.
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    I suspect the required regimen of daily exercise to achieve such a result would make scoliosis surgery look tame. <wink>
                    I second Sharon's nomination of this as Post of the Month. With 3 kids, a husband, a dog, a house to take care of, elderly parents to help out, and a full time job outside the home, including commuting back and forth into the city every day, I'm lucky I have time to shave my legs :-)

Of course, a child/teen might be different, particularly if the regimen was only for a fixed period of time. I'm speaking about adults.

I guess I would also need to be convinced that ANY exercise regimen can permanently correct or stop a significant curve or one that is aggressive in nature. It would be wonderful if it could - but I agree with Jess that, for me personally, I'm just not buying it.
                    Last edited by mariaf; 07-09-2012, 09:21 PM.
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      i believe each parent does what they believe is best for their child...
                      sad that it is often needed and required surgery...but it would be a lot worse
                      if that surgery were not possible or available...
                      and i know there is no parent who takes the decision for surgery lightly....

jess
                      So true, Jess.

I was not offended by Sharon's remark either. I know what she was saying about her child and how that child felt about her own body. She was being painfully honest as a parent. Having lived through the teen years with my daughter (who does not have scoliosis), I know how self-conscious girls can be, even with things much less serious than scoliosis. Of course, it was also a health issue for her daughter, with a curve that would not stop progressing - definitely one of those cases where, as you said "it would be a lot wose if that surgery were not possible or available".
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
                        I second Sharon's nomination of this as Post of the Month. With 3 kids, a husband, a dog, a house to take care of, elderly parents to help out, and a full time job outside the home, including commuting back and forth into the city every day, I'm lucky I have time to shave my legs :-)

Of course, a child/teen might be different, particularly if the regimen was only for a fixed period of time. I'm speaking about adults.
                        In re adults, did anyone else question how Hawes could have done hours of exercise every day for YEARS and still keep her job? I don't get that. I don't doubt she put in the time doing the PT. Maybe she took a leave of absence or something in there.

As regards the yoga woman, I wonder how much she did to reduce her curve, whether that would have been possible had she NOT been a yoga instructor, and whether she could still maintain that ABSENT her day job of doing yoga.

The SEAS woman was a single case study among many patients who did NOT achieve what she did.

I have mentioned before that I think the reason there are so few people who have reduced their curve is because there is something about the patient plus the PT that worked and not the PT alone (I am talking biology and not determination here.). That would explain why SEAS doesn't have more patients like that one woman and it would explain why Weiss doesn't have the Nobel after 10 years and ~30,000 patients.

For adults who can continue the PT their entire life and avoid surgery, I applaud them. But there is a reason they are not a dime a dozen. Maybe Tom is right that more people could avoid surgery with enough PT. If true then what we have seen to date tends to prove that what is required is MORE than most people can or will do. And that is NOT due to being lazy... a bout of Dengue fever might result in the loses of everything gained over years. Who knows. Who wants to take the chance? Some folks with collagenic syndromes many not be able to exercise enough to hold their curve. They are screwed apparently.

For kids, based on the data in hand about conservative treatments, the surgical cases probably haven't been reduced noticeably. Of course this data is highly flawed. On the other hand, if enough research could be done, it is not crazy to suggest a certain LARGE amount of PT during the growth spurt might keep some kids off the surgery table.

I just think it's interesting that the best estimates for bracing are that maybe about 20% of kids had their curves held sub-surgically, at least until maturity. I think that 20% might match the misidentified JIS cases among the AIS cases. Just a thought.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
                          The idea that the exercise required to reduce a curve is onerous has been disputed and disproven each time it comes up. That that misconception simply cannot be corrected in people's heads says something more about their mindset and something less about the facts currently known about exercise and scoliosis.
                          The amount of work Hawes did has been published. Denying the published paper exists is irrational. Constantly disproving irrational statements is tiresome.

As to the purported "facts" about PT, if it was only a small amount of effort then everyone would do it and there would be less surgery. But we don't obtain that result. That's because if it doesn't make sense then probably isn't true.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The major effort, IMO, is to determine what makes a difference. The time required to exercise is minuscule in comparison. E.g., less time per day than it takes for a kid to make the grade as a swimmer, tennis player, athlete, gymnast...or even to get decent grades at science, maths, English. The required 'mind-shift' takes time to ingrain--postural control is required (IMO) all day, i.e., similar to the postural control hundreds of thousands of ballet kids exert. So, kids would be required to not be as slobby as most of society. Not much of an ask.

Correction can't be achieved overnight and must be maintained. E.g., my daughter does an active self-correction including double side-shift every 8 minutes all day. 30 seconds per correction comes to approx. 40 minutes per day. She improves her aerobic capacity with other stuff, but she'd do that anyway. So far, then, she's just being taught how to be posturally optimal and fit--so, not burdensome. She sits correctively, but that doesn't stop her watching TV, studying or eating.

With organization, the specific training/exercising can be accomplished in 30 - 45 minutes.

Comment

Maybe Tom is right that more people could avoid surgery with enough PT. If true then what we have seen to date tends to prove that what is required is MORE than most people can or will do. And that is NOT due to being lazy... a bout of Dengue fever might result in the loses of everything gained over years. Who knows. Who wants to take the chance?
                              I hadn't even thought of that, Sharon. A prolonged illness, or even something like a broken leg, or any number of things could make exercise impossible for weeks/months - what would that do, as you say, to everything gained over the years? Certainly, nobody can say for sure but it's a risk, we just don't know how much of a risk.
                              mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

...or even to get decent grades at science, maths, English.
                                Careful here... my kids have at least 4 hours of homework most nights. :-)

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X