Severe Scoliosis at 61, looking to interview surgeons in Orange County CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Scoliosis at 61, looking to interview surgeons in Orange County CA

I have 2 curves both over 90 degrees as I was told they would not progress, WRONG. I have nerve pain in my leg and cannot
    stand or walk for long periods of time.

I am told that the curve will continue to progress by one DR I have seen.

Totally scared of surgery, and scared if I don't have it.

1. First if anyone has anything like I have
    2. If anyone can recommend a WONDERFUL surgeon due to my very severe case

I think that you should visit Dr Bederman at UCI . He is a wonderful surgeon as well as being a great person
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Dr. Bederman

I have seen Dr. Bederman yes he is very nice.

May I ask what type of curve you had, and why are you having so many surgeries?
      Please do not take offense to my questions, but I am just learing about all this surgery
      stuff.

Also may I ask your approximate age, like over 50 over 60, under 50, 40 etc.

Comment

Researching a doctor or other matter on the forum

Just some info about the forum: If you find a doctor that you are interested in seeing, maybe like Dr. Bederman, type in his name, just type in Bederman, do not put the Dr. in front of his name. Then every blog entry that mentions his name will come up and you can read what somebody has done with him or their comments about his care. I didn't know about that feature for a month or so after using the forum, and found it helpful when researching something.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck and I know that you will find a doctor that your have confidence in. Ask LOTS of questions. Keep a notebook where you write down your questions as they come to you, sometimes I think of a question at the supermarket and I write it down in a small notebook that I carry w/ me and transcribe it to the big notebook that I have that I take to all scoliosis doctor's, physical therapist, and pain control MD offices that I see. That way when you go to see the doctor, you are organized and you can write down the answers and keep the information. When you go to a doctor's office, research shows that you hear about 20% or less of what he/she says, so write it down. I suggest that you also bring along a friend or partner to listen also.

I will start a thread about what questions one should ask a doctor when considering that person to be your surgeon. That will help me also as I have not had surgery, but will probably be intervewing surgeons sometime in the future.

Susan
        Last edited by susancook; 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM. Reason: enter a title, forgot to do it
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by kokapellis View Post
          I have 2 curves both over 90 degrees as I was told they would not progress, WRONG. I have nerve pain in my leg and cannot

I'm in Australia so can't help with the surgeon though I know lots of members will suggest their surgeons because there are many great surgeons to choose from. Also, there are many here who had worse curves than me, but I really just wanted to say, we are all scared to face this surgery. I was terrified. Initially I couldn't even imagine having it. I cancelled my first date but by the time I had surgery, I had all my questions answered, mostly here, and I had a better picture of what would be happening and I had no nasty surprises. I went into surgery without terrible nerves, just eager to get it over with and get on with my life. So as has been said, ask questions, anything that pops into your head. This will help. We all completely understand the fear. Welcome!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Welcome to the forum. As Jennifer said, we were all terrified, but most have been glad they had the surgery. You might want to start a similar thread in the Surgery First Time instead of the Revision section. I was fortunate to have one of the best surgeons (Dr. Lenke) within 30 miles of our house, so I didn't seek another or even get a second opinion.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by kokapellis View Post

Hi and welcome.

Can I just ask how big your curves were when you were told they would not progress?

Many people were told that and I think more recent studies have revealed a better idea of whether or not progression can be expected. The best information out there now is that 30* or lower is generally thought to be protective against progression to surgery range in a lifetime. That doesn't consider collapses though, either in the structural curve or the compensatory curve which are true wildcards it seems.

On the other hand, we have people whose curves were about 30* and south of there who nevertheless progressed to surgery range. That would not be expected but anything can happen it seems with scoliosis.

Good luck.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
              X