Driving!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving!

I drove for the first time today just about 7 weeks post op. WOW felt so good to be someone independent again. Drove early a.m. with no traffic but just getting out there was great! Thank you God!

Originally posted by rockycarm View Post
    I drove for the first time today just about 7 weeks post op. WOW felt so good to be someone independent again. Drove early a.m. with no traffic but just getting out there was great! Thank you God!
    Good for you. Driving opens up that door to freedom. I hope you are off all narcotics.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Driving 7 weeks post-op

That's great. I can imagine how you must have felt as I am 6 weeks post-op and have been wondering when I should even be considering getting behind the wheel. I'm not quite ready yet but reading your post encourages me for when I am. May I ask what type of car your drive and how is your ability to turn your head to see traffic behind you? The reason I ask is because just prior to surgery I noticed that I had limited flexibility and depended on the review mirrors a lot which suited me fine because obviously I hadn't even noticed previously. I imagine it is going to be the same now but because of all the surgery I had and my hesitation I am concerned. Also, what time of the morning did you go out...that's a good idea as I hadn't thought of that.

Congratulations on your huge step towards independence!!

Marjorie
      Marjorie

Surgery in 2 phases, May 17 & May 22, 2012
      Prior to surgery: Thoracic 75, Lumbar 45
      After surgery: Thoracic 27, Lumbar 28
      Surgeon: Dr. Nathan Lebwohl, Miami, FL

Comment

Congratulations! Driving is a huge step in getting back to a normal life. Celebrate each milestone in your journey of recovery.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations! And you're only 7 weeks out, that's great. Tell us more about your progress, please.
          I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
          45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
          A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

To answer some of your questions, I drive a Nissan Murano. i have to say that the seats are somewhat uncomfortable now. I don't know if it my new body or just the seats but this is what I have. I drove at 5 a.m. in the morning to take my husband's car in for repair before his work. I used today mostly the mirrors and did not have any need to turn around. I definitely won't be driving too much I have to say but would love it if I could take myself to physical therapy. I did not of course take any narcotics, I am actually down to one per day, 1/2 a.m. and 1/2 before I go to bed with Tylenol in between. It is working for me thank goodness as I really do hate the drugs. I am, however, having trouble with one of my legs. I have numbness in my toe and nerve pain in my foot which is inhibiting my ability to walk. I will be going for an MRI and seeing a neurologist next week for this to see if they can pinpoint where this is coming from. The doctor and physical therapist are insistent this will come back but right now is a bit frustrating. I am also getting nerve type pain on my left side when I get in and out of bed so had to switch sides with my husband. Hopefully this will go away soon too. I am fused from T9 - S1 and am feeling the hardware in my lumbosacral area which they also tell me will go away. I always thought I had patience but this is surely a lesson in patience. You definitely need the patience of JOB All in all however, I am happy with the outcome, I have gained 2 inches in height, lost the rib hump and am hopeful for the future. Thank you everyone for your continued support and input.

Comment

Great news, Rocky! I am loving driving again, too. It gets more comfortable each week! Now I almost prefer it to riding because I know when the turns and bumps are coming.

FYI, I called our local police dept. to ask about the legality of driving while taking prescription pain meds. They said it is legal, but you cannot legally drive while "impaired," which can be grogginess, etc., but can also be inability to turn to see traffic. I take 1 pain pill in the morning and still will drive. I have been on them 4 months, so they no longer make me groggy, sleepy, etc. It's a judgment call.

Best,
              Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                Great news, Rocky! I am loving driving again, too. It gets more comfortable each week! Now I almost prefer it to riding because I know when the turns and bumps are coming.

FYI, I called our local police dept. to ask about the legality of driving while taking prescription pain meds. They said it is legal, but you cannot legally drive while "impaired," which can be grogginess, etc., but can also be inability to turn to see traffic. I take 1 pain pill in the morning and still will drive. I have been on them 4 months, so they no longer make me groggy, sleepy, etc. It's a judgment call.

Best,
                Evelyn
                Thanks Evelyn for the information. You are a bit ahead of me. Can you tell me what I can expect at 4-5 months post op?

Comment

I remember how joyous it was to be able to drive again! Can't remember when I started, but it was great (and a bit scary as you really can't turn your head that much). I did buy some comdex mirrors for both sides so I would have a better range of vision from them.

I am a little over ten months post surgery and I am starting to feel like I can start to turn my head almost to where I was before...but this has been very recent.

Anyway congrats on the driving!
                  Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                  Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                  Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                  Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                  The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                  Before and after xrays:
                  http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

BTW, regarding uncomfortable seats: I still use pillows. Soft, soft pillows at first. Now I use the side sleeper memory foam pillow I purchased at Kohls. It conforms to my body (still have a bit of a rib hump), and allows me to drive longer distances.
                    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                    Before and after xrays:
                    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Rocky,
                      Everyone is different, but for me improvement really started kicking in at about 9 weeks. I began walking faster, able to sit longer and starting to return to social life. However, I am still taking some pain meds, where as many people are off by this point. I have significant right shoulder pain in the morning, regardless of how I sleep. And I have left hip and leg pain that increases with sitting and walking. Still, it is getting a little better each week. I can do more, take fewer meds, and hurt less. So, one step at a time.

Best,
                      Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                      X