Hernia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hernia

Well I have a hernia where they Dr did one out of four incisions. So I am meeting with a general surgeon July 9th to schedule surgery. Has anyone else had this happen? Or done? Is it a pretty easy surgery? This has been the year of hospitals and surgeries! I had 2 back surgeries,was hospitalized in Febuary for seizures and now this surgery. SO hopefully this fixes me up for good.

I hope this is the end of your hospital visits! I can't help you much except that I had a friend who had a hernia op which involved gauze being placed over the hernia. She's been fine since. All the best!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi...

I have an incisional hernia from my first surgeries 20 years ago. I had the repair done about a year after my spine surgery. It was great for a few years, but the patch didn't hold. (I understand that that's a common outcome.) Hopefully for you, things have changed since then.

For those who might get scared off of scoliosis surgery by the potential of an incisional hernia, you should know that they're relatively rare these days. First, they only occur in people who have anterior surgeries. It happened a lot of the time when the anterior surgeries were done with a big open thoracotomy. Thankfully, they don't do those much these days. I understand that they also sometimes occur with XLIFs and probably with ALIFs. The bottom line is that they can mostly be avoided if the surgeon is super careful about their closure.

Best of luck with your surgery.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

How did the incisional hernia repair go?

I found this thread on my topic, so will continue it. I have a large incisional hernia from my ALIF incision, described by my surgeon as "the entire length of the incision plus". I will hopefully have a repair in March.

Can someone tell me how the repair went? I am a little nervous.

Thanks, Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
          I found this thread on my topic, so will continue it. I have a large incisional hernia from my ALIF incision, described by my surgeon as "the entire length of the incision plus". I will hopefully have a repair in March.

Can someone tell me how the repair went? I am a little nervous.

Thanks, Susan
          I found the surgery to be fairly simple. I was in pain for the first 24 hours, but it wasn't bad after that. I've known others, however, who thought it was incredibly painful. Unfortunately, my repair only held for a few years, and I've never seriously considered a second repair.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            I found the surgery to be fairly simple. I was in pain for the first 24 hours, but it wasn't bad after that. I've known others, however, who thought it was incredibly painful. Unfortunately, my repair only held for a few years, and I've never seriously considered a second repair.

--Linda
            Did they use mesh for your repair? Bummer that your hernia repair was not successful. Why didn't you have your hernia repaired a second time? Mine hurts, actually burns every day and sometimes it is difficult to stand up when I have been doubled over. Did you have much pain?

Also, once someone said that it was rare for someone to get an incisional hernia with an ALIF incision. Why is that?
            Susan
            Last edited by susancook; 12-25-2013, 02:50 AM. Reason: Never seem to get it right the first time!
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
            X